October Meeting!

SuncrestReef

Join us in person or virtually through Zoom for our next PNWMAS meeting on October 23rd.  Lou Ekus, the CEO of Tropic Marin USA will do a video presentation on reef chemistry and carbon dosing followed by Q & A.  For those who can attend in person, the presentation will be shown inside Emerald525’s huge and spacious shop building, and we’ll have Octoberfest-themed food from chef Sirena and beverages available on her covered outdoor deck.  Both spaces provide ample room for social distancing, but masks will be required when indoors. We will have several chairs available for the presentation, but if you have a folding chair, feel free to bring it to guarantee you will have a seat.

We’ll also have several sponsor gift certificate giveaways in addition to some Tropic Marin prizes provided by Lou.

For those who cannot participate in person, please join us through Zoom for Lou’s presentation, Q & A, and the giveaways.

Here are the details:
When: October 23rd,  12:00 noon to 4:00 pm
What: Chef Sirena providing Octoberfest-themed food and beverages.  Gift certificate giveaways and prizes from Tropic Marin
Presentation: 1:00-2:00 pm Reef Chemistry and Carbon Dosing talk, followed by Q & A
Where:  7501 SE 152nd Avenue, Portland, OR  97236  (Map)
What to bring:  A mask, and optional folding chair 
Zoom:  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82353365565  (please connect in around 12:45pm for the 1:00pm presentation.)

RSVP:  If you plan to attend in person, please comment below with the number of people in your party so Sirena can plan for the amount of food.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 12.38.51 PM.png

7D2863C6-ED2C-450B-92D0-88AC6292B79A.jpeg

00C13B79-086B-4BDE-87B8-EEDAA4C4BF88.jpeg

4FEF1E48-48B3-4567-8DA2-23CA88D6F801.jpeg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Join us in person or virtually through Zoom for our next PNWMAS meeting on October 23rd.  Lou Ekus, the CEO of Tropic Marin USA will do a video presentation on reef chemistry and carbon dosing followed by Q & A.  For those who can attend in person, the presentation will be shown inside Emerald525’s huge and spacious shop building, and we’ll have Octoberfest-themed food from chef Sirena and beverages available on her covered outdoor deck.  Both spaces provide ample room for social distancing, but masks will be required when indoors. We will have several chairs available for the presentation, but if you have a folding chair, feel free to bring it to guarantee you will have a seat.

We’ll also have several sponsor gift certificate giveaways in addition to some Tropic Marin prizes provided by Lou.

For those who cannot participate in person, please join us through Zoom for Lou’s presentation, Q & A, and the giveaways.

Here are the details:
When: October 23rd,  12:00 noon to 4:00 pm
What: Chef Sirena providing Octoberfest-themed food and beverages.  Gift certificate giveaways and prizes from Tropic Marin
Presentation: 1:00-2:00 pm Reef Chemistry and Carbon Dosing talk, followed by Q & A
Where:  7501 SE 152nd Avenue, Portland, OR  97236  (Map)
What to bring:  A mask, and optional folding chair 
Zoom:  Zoom link will be provided as we get closer to the date

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 12.38.51 PM.png

7D2863C6-ED2C-450B-92D0-88AC6292B79A.jpeg

00C13B79-086B-4BDE-87B8-EEDAA4C4BF88.jpeg

4FEF1E48-48B3-4567-8DA2-23CA88D6F801.jpeg

Sweet ill be there, lol anyone want to setup trades? 🤣

• Like 4

Awesome! I have a few questions for Lou. I am currently dosing All-for-reef and Bacto-balance! I would love help understanding how Carbocalcium (or All-for-reef) provides the same elements our corals need for calcium and alk in a single, high concentrate solution without precipitating. The other big question I have is now that I am on a low nutrient system (thanks to a newly installed filter roller), how do I know how much Bacto-Balance to daily dose? How can I tell if my low PO4 is from bacteria consumption from carbon dosing or over filtration from the filter roller? What is the risk to dosing carbon like Bacto-balance when there is very little PO4 to consume?

Edited by jtichenor
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, jtichenor said:

Awesome! I have a few questions for Lou. I am currently dosing All-for-reef and Bacto-balance! I would love help understanding how Carbocalcium (or All-for-reef) provides the same elements our corals need for calcium and alk in a single, high concentrate solution without precipitating. The other big question I have is now that I am on a low nutrient system (thanks to a newly installed filter roller), how do I know how much Bacto-Balance to daily dose? How can I tell if my low PO4 is from bacteria consumption from carbon dosing or over filtration from the filter roller? What is the risk to dosing carbon like Bacto-balance when there is very little PO4 to consume?

Great!  We'll forward your questions along to Lou in advance of the presentation.

• Like 4

• Emerald525 featured and pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I have been at a meeting. Have had a few health problems...like getting old😉.

I am currently without a vehicle and there are no bus lines between Sherwood and Newburg. If there is anyone that lives out this way, and can give me a ride to the meeting, please contact me! I hope to see you all there!

John Manrow 

Jmanrow

Edited by JManrow
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JManrow said:

It's been a while since I have been at a meeting. Have had a few health problems...like getting old😉.

I am currently without a vehicle and there are no bus lines between Sherwood and Newburg. If there is anyone that lives out this way, and can give me a ride to the meeting, please contact me! I hope to see you all there!

John Manrow 

Jmanrow

Hopefully you can find a ride ! If not you will be able to access the meeting via zoom.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

I'll be joining via zoom, looking forward to it! Thanks for hosting Kim & Sirena! Vicky and I are bummed we don't get to see the new place, it looks amazing and of course the food will be a shame to miss. 

Will miss you it’s been a long time but completely understand and we do want to keep the in person part small. Should be some great information.

• Like 1

Hi,

Great meeting. This was a good lesson for me, as I have been re-entering the hobby (1year re-entery now) since leaving over 20 years ago.

uhm... at the end of the meeting John Halsey asked me to message him now I am realizing I can't find his profile 🙂 can someone forward this to him or??

Thanks,

Patrick Apodaca aka spicy reef

• Like 1