Reefnjunkie's 400 gallon inwall

reefnjunkie

Better see some updates real soon!

Not even subscribed to my own build :(

There hasn't been a lot in means of any updates- sadly I was on a fish killing binge but i suspect that's what happens when you play Russian Roulette, your bound to get unlucky. I lost another large group of fish to ich, almost half of the fish in an earlier post, the Morish idol, both tile fish and the list grew. Really sad but when you don't QT your fish stuff can happen.

The positive thing going forward is I've added a 110 watt UV and at the flow that water passes through the unit Im pretty sure I'm close to level 2 sterilization- I've also added a QT tank and just recently was able to add a super male flame that had been in QT for the past month, it's one stunning fish, I also added a blotched anthias, the anthias I cheated on, it was only in QT for 10 days but I had little to no choice ( in my mind) I had a "project"

My project was I added 2 more frag tanks ;) this weekend was tearing down the current QT tank and stand and build a new stand that now holds the 48x24x20 QT tank that also doubles as my sump and 2 more frag tanks. The QT has 3 holding sections, 2 are roughly 12x12x20 while the 3rd is roughly 24x12x20. The back section holds live rock, heater, skimmer and return pump

The 2 new frag tanks are ~44x20x12 so Im back in the game of collecting corals :)

I'm moving all my ACANS into one of the new tanks which frees up a 44x20 tank for Acropora. I'm not sure what to do with the second, more acros -maybe 1/2 QT for acro and the other half I may do some zoas ( can't believe I just typed that ) or more acans ;) Im just unsure.

That's that

We need pictures Brad! So are you finally going to quarantine your fish? . And yay zoas!!!!!

Yes all fish are strictly QT, which has its down side if you don't buy fish at the same time-add a new fish and the clock starts all over again-I've also got me all the stuff needed for a hospital tank.

IF I do zoas, nothing crazy but I'd like to get CARs, Bowsers, Space Monsters, GOW, Yodas, Clemantines, Red, Blue, and Purple hornets-you know all the stuff I got rid of and of course go back on the search of the holy grail - True Saprannos that I think have left the planet earth :(

Yes all fish are strictly QT, which has its down side if you don't buy fish at the same time-add a new fish and the clock starts all over again-I've also got me all the stuff needed for a hospital tank.

IF I do zoas, nothing crazy but I'd like to get CARs, Bowsers, Space Monsters, GOW, Yodas, Clemantines, Red, Blue, and Purple hornets-you know all the stuff I got rid of and of course go back on the search of the holy grail - True Saprannos that I think have left the planet earth :(

if you want Clarkatoes they will be fragable in a bit? Mabey for a rare junkie sps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the zoas I want! I miss my space monsters and yodas! I als want the purple people eaters from Isaac . Isaw them at kennys and Bret and softy's place. My clementines was the other one I was thinking about. You are going to save so much money on fish ha I g that at tank up! It also helped fish get acclimated and feeding and used to humans before throwing them in a big tank. I always had fish in mine (well actually your Qt tank now lol ) I inow technically you should start over with a new fish but never had any issues again with diseaese spread to the main display.

That was Basiclly what made me feel better about releasing the blotched anthias, it got use to seeing me and associated me as his food monkey and came out whenver I came to the tank-The flame took much longer but in the end it too came out of hiding when Id come to the tank and tilt itself looking up for food.

Mitch Im not certain zoas are on the list just throwing out ideas- Im afraid the Clarks would just morph back into the mauls anyway LOL

• Like 1

Hey sorry to hear about the fish, sadly I can say I have been there before.  Sounds like a killer setup going forward.  Are you replacing your display?

I would love to help on your zoa rebuild lets keep in touch.

• 1 month later...

So with the new display coming in September I figured I may as well see what acros will fit in my frag tanks of the ones I chose to keep. I di end up getting rid of quite a few colonies to make room for pieces I like better that Ive been growing over the years in my frag tanks. You may have seen the red planet if you've visited cuttlefish :)

I built a new 2 tank system with its own sump/QT tank that moved all the acans over into and that's beed the best thing for them, they have never ever looked better and its amazing to see the difference. The acans took one tank the other Im temporarily using for acros. I moved over enough to fill the tank last night and will be dosing this set up until all the acros can go back into the all-in-one tied in system.

Well I figured I may as take a few shots (insert whiskey here) so I see the before and after-Im looking forward to the new aquascape and starting over growing some killer mature colonies

FTS as of today-one colony left

7-4%20tanks_zpshydwrm58.jpg

The newest frag tank which will be my QT tank for acros later this year after I move everything back around

These are all quick rough pics

IMG_7360_zpsikacos8p.jpg

IMG_7361_zpszhsbdsaw.jpg

IMG_7362_zpscwqk2j8l.jpg

Old frag tanks-some sporting colonies I wanted to keep

IMG_7366_zpsb4sbihgo.jpg

IMG_7363_zpsa4vrymi6.jpg

IMG_7365_zpszlezxwyp.jpg

IMG_7364_zpsdmpieunr.jpg

Everything is LED excepts the acan tank which is T5

• Like 2

I guess I missed it, but what will the new display consist of?

I think to qualify as a "frag" tank it should actually have some frags in it lol. Nice colony tank:)

I see frags in a few pics ;) I say frag tanks becuase they all tarted as frags. The new display is the exact same footprint, two openings up top and black acrylic back. The present tank I didn't feel would last much longer and I needed an excuse to redo the aquascape. I'm going for a much more open look.

My God man, looks like a whole sale retailer of only acropora. Are all your tanks bare bottom even sump\refugium?

Hahaha you should have seen the dinner plate/basket ball colonies I got rid of LOL. All my frag tanks and sump are bare bottom which make maintence easier-I've never done a refugium but for not for any real reason.

I've consdered doing a Muriatic acid bath for the live rock since I think I still have a Polyclad flatworm or many by now-Id like to have clams again and I've got a few hundred pounds of rock in the sumps so the bio load wouldn't crash.

I'm also looking to have not just acros, although that will be the vast majority-I plan on a little LPS island for the wall hammers/frogspawn, torches, dendro, duncan, elegance, rics, Blastos and Goni

And also a "nem" island, the RBTA that started out the size of a baseball from Emerald is now about 16" diameter when fully open, but I've comptemplated getting rid of it for one of those inferno nems

The future tank I think will be better than ever, Ill be able to use all the hindsight from the past (present) tank PLUS I've been cooking some beauties in my frag tanks

• 3 months later...

Ya that was quite the colony, hopefully it wont be long before the del fuego is that large

I got the holding tank up and running tonight and tomorrow I can get some LPS and fish transferred. I want to get everything left in there by the weekend

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk