How to unglue pvc

mattv

This definitely works, I have used this method a few times.

Tip:

If the pipe is 1.25" or bigger, just heat the inner pipe with the torch and roll it out with the needle nose.  

Works great, no hole saw required!

I like this approach better, hate to ruin a hole saw with a torch

It is stated in the video that need to do this in well ventilated open area because of toxic fume in the process.

+1. Burning Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) produces some of the worse carcinogens known. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorinated_polycyclic_aromatic_hydrocarbon

Just do it outside. We've all burned plastic and know probably isn't good to inhale.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It really works well!  Honestly I just use a torch and needle nose pliers.  Saved many expensive fittings this way...

So when someone puts misc plumbing parts up for sale, keep in mind those fittings that look like they don't have enough pipe sticking out can be reused if you invest some time...

3 hours ago, TheClark said:

It really works well!  Honestly I just use a torch and needle nose pliers.  Saved many expensive fittings this way...

So when someone puts misc plumbing parts up for sale, keep in mind those fittings that look like they don't have enough pipe sticking out can be reused if you invest some time...

So, do you directly heat the pipe in that case?  Sounds from some of the other posts that that would work... probably mostly a case of keeping things even and not over doing it - which is where the indirect method probably helps.  I wonder if a heat gun (vs the torch) would be sufficient for direct heating.

On 6/21/2017 at 10:37 AM, albertareef said:

So, do you directly heat the pipe in that case?  Sounds from some of the other posts that that would work... probably mostly a case of keeping things even and not over doing it - which is where the indirect method probably helps.  I wonder if a heat gun (vs the torch) would be sufficient for direct heating.

Yep, just torch inside the fitting, the pvc pipe itself.  

The pvc becomes soft, grab it and 'roll' it out with needle nose pliers.  

The pipe will roll up a sandwich wrap.  

I was skeptical but impressed when it worked.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

As an expert plumber at repipefitting.com I suggest unglueing PVC, you can try using a specialized PVC solvent cement remover or a mixture of acetone and alcohol. First, try using the solvent cement remover according to the manufacturer's instructions. If that doesn't work, mix equal parts acetone and alcohol, apply the mixture to the glued area, and use a scraper or putty knife to gently pry the pieces apart. Be sure to wear protective gloves and work in a well-ventilated area. It's important to note that attempting to unglue PVC may damage the material, so proceed with caution.