J-Dog's NEW 60x30x24 BUILD

J-Dog

As most of u know, I'm in the process of putting my first system together. I've been taking my time to make sure I do things right for my first build....and tonight I decided to start my thread. My tank should be built and delivered sometime next week. I decided to try a company based in Seattle, called Clear Fabrications, and Jason has been more than accommodating every step of the way. I have also picked up a few items along the way and started building my custom stand. I have tried to take lots of pictures, so I can share my experience with everyone here.

Here is a link to Clear Fabrications thread on Reef Frontiers, showing pics of my tank being built...

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f116/j-dogs-new-tank-63859/#post660653

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tank stand

My buddy helped me build the custom stand I needed to fit my special room. The stand still needs doors, but they should be done soon. It also needs to be stained and sealed, so I still have a lot of work ahead of me. Here is the basic stand....

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

Here is the stand with some molding and base board

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

Lighting

As u guys well know, it took me forever to figure out my lighting. Well, I decided to go with an ATI Powermodule! I got such a smokin deal, I couldn't pass it up (naughty).......I ended up with a 10 bulb 48" fixture, plus I ordered a few extra bulbs so I can experiment and get the right color combination. This should give me plenty of coverage to grow SPS, and also allow me to grow lower light corals on the sides of the tank. I am also planning on supplementing the fixture with a couple of LED strips, for more color, and hopefully a little bit of shimmer.

IMG_2207.jpg

This is very nice! You are up for a good start.

Are you going to hide the light inside a canopy?

Titus, I plan on hanging the fixture for now and seeing how much light spills into the room. If it gets too annoying, then I will build a canopy, but it will be tricky since the wall is at an angle. So I might need a professional to handle it, if I can't figure how to build it. This is what I have to deal with....

IMG_2160_2.jpg

IMG_8952.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by reefnjunkie View Post

nice looking stand.

Question for ya, what are you going to be using to brace the bottom of the tank?

I'm not sure what u mean .......Do u see something wrong with my stand design?

It's gonna to be hard to plumb it with the back on the stand, unless everything is going thru the bottom of the tank including returns. Is the tank glass or acrylic?

It's gonna to be hard to plumb it with the back on the stand, unless everything is going thru the bottom of the tank including returns. Is the tank glass or acrylic?

Shouldn't be too hard to plumb...I'll just use a hole saw to cut openings where I need them. I can't see myself plumbing it first, then putting the back on afterwards....that seems kind of tricky.

Looks good can't wait to see it all done.

I think what reefnjunkie is talking about is the support for the bottom of the tank. With what we see only the edges of the bottom of the tank will have support. Like a center brace going across or plywood under the tank to help support the weight. I think this might be what he is talking about but I am not sure.

I love the demensions of the tank. That is one wicked light you got. Are you planning to put a piece of plywood under the tank witha span that far you might gut some sagging in the middle. I look forward to following along and seeing this become a reef =)

Got a surprise package today...160 pounds of Bahama Aragonite Sand! The reef calculator I used said I would need about 90 lbs for a 1 inch sand bed, so a little extra won't hurt. I couldn't find a better deal, since all I had to do was pay the shipping, while the sand was free!

IMG_2304.jpg

I also added some center support to my stand. I'm still not sure what u guys were asking about earlier, when u mentioned my stands bracing (scratch). Maybe reefnjunkie while chime in and let me know, but the top of the stand is identical to the bottom structurally.

IMG_2308.jpg

The picture above has a brace, that is what i was talking about- had you not added that, I am fairly sure it would not have been long before the bottom busted out. Its a lot of pressure on the bottom without it and I tend to overbuild.

I would have ran the one the length of the tank where the cross supports ( your ends) are taking the load weight and I would have used a 4x4. I dont have a degree in engineering so none of what I talk about may even matter-like I said I overbuild since I dont know any betterDOH!

Great looking stand, I suppose I'm just jealous(naughty)

The picture above has a brace, that is what i was talking about- had you not added that, I am fairly sure it would not have been long before the bottom busted out. Its a lot of pressure on the bottom without it and I tend to overbuild.

I would have ran the one the length of the tank where the cross supports ( your ends) are taking the load weight and I would have used a 4x4. I dont have a degree in engineering so none of what I talk about may even matter-like I said I overbuild since I dont know any betterDOH!

Great looking stand, I suppose I'm just jealous(naughty)

Thanks for the input, but I used plans from an engineer who had a DIY plan on either Reef2Reef or Reef Central (same plans Finch used on his stand). I'm not saying the plan is full-proof, but I hope it is, since I don't want my stand to collapse one day (sad). My next step is to stain and seal the stand, then add the doors. I'm hoping I can get it all done by this weekend.