J-Dog's NEW 60x30x24 BUILD

J-Dog

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing i would do just for peace of mind would be to cover the whole surface the tank will be sitting on with some plywood. Like Reefnjunkie, I too tend to overbuild. Usually nothing bad comes from having a stand be too sturdy. The build is looking real nice Rashaan!

Looks good Rashaan, Can't wait to see it up and running, Great choice on the light have seen some awesome sps tanks with that lighting. I would feel better with a piece of plywood also, maybe not necessary but if the ends and front/back bow on acrylic I have to imagine the bottom will bow as much if not more.

Thanks for all of compliments, it really means a lot. I am planning on putting some plywood between the tank and the stand, for a little more stabililty. And the way the room is laid out, no one will be able to see any plumbing behind the tank, unless they are trying to find it (nono)

Finishing the stand

I had to work a double shift at the station this weekend, but I used some of that time to stain the doors to my stand. When I got home today, I threw a coat of stain on my stand as well. I'll give it a few hours to dry and throw another coat on tonight. Not sure what to do on the inside yet....I'm thinking maybe stain it, but with only one coat.

The doors turned out great. I used a stain/poly mix, so it stained and sealed at the same time....

IMG_2310.jpg

Now it's the stands turn...

IMG_2309.jpg

I love the way you mortised the 4x4 as support for the 2x4. Great idea! I never had any luck with the stain and poly in one. I suppose since this is pretty much solid black it would be okay. problem is you really cant add a second coat. But... you can get a can of the rub on poly. I make furniture and use this stuff on everything. It comes out like you sprayed in it a booth and all you have to do is soak a rag and go to town so if your strapped for time grab a can it works great.

Is this in an area where noise will be an issue? look into a beananimal overflow . just built one and they work great.

Skimmer and Return Pump

Got some new toys in the mail today....my skimmer and return pump! After doing tons of research and asking everyone's opinion, I decided to go with ATB. I didn't want to spend the extra money (since I don't have any extra money), but I wanted to do things right for this tank build. The one common thing everyone tells me when putting a system together is get the best lighting and skimmer u can possibly get. I hope these do the job.

The skimmer is an ATB 1050a v1.5......http://atbskimmers.com/atb-1050a-v1-5/

The return pump is Flowstar 1500.......http://atbskimmers.com/flowstar-1500/

Here are a couple pics....

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

Stand is done!

Finally had time to finish staining the stand :p............the doors went on shortly after, along with the hardware. I wanted to ask if anyone uses some sort of catch-all on the bottom of there stand (underneath the sump)? I was thinking if any water leaked or overflowed out of my sump, it would be caught in the stand and not pour out onto the carpet. I've never actually seen one, but I wanted to ask. Let me know what u guys think.

Here is the finished product....

IMG_2337.jpg