J-Dog's NEW 60x30x24 BUILD

J-Dog

Tank is filled!

Just an update....the tank is filled and cycling. Still have ammonia present, with no nitrites or nitrates, so we will see how long the cycle takes. I added mostly dry rock, with a couple pieces of live rock and a little bit of live sand.

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

Lights on....

IMG_2443.jpg

Left side....

IMG_2444.jpg

Right side....

IMG_2445.jpg

I'm not sure if I like all of the aquascape yet, so there might be some changes made. Nothing major, just a few tweaks here and there.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good man. Did you figure out the Apex yet (wireless)?

Thanks Trent. I did figure out the Apex....it wasn't easy, but I finally got it working! I ended up buying this adapter....

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B003KPBRRW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336187701&sr=1-2

They had refurbished ones for half the price, so I jumped on it. I got a little help from the guys on RC and after that it was smooth sailing. Once I figure out how to use everything properly, I'm sure I'll never want any other controller.

I did Steve. I lowered the water level in the overflow a tiny bit, and that did the trick. I guess too much water going down the secondary pipe makes noise.

Now that I'm an Apex expert (naughty) , I'm sure I can help u out if u need it.

Well, I keep testing my water and everything looks good.....I'm not sure if my tank did a mini cycle or what, but things seem to be stabilized (scratch). I put my GOC frag and a few zoas in the tank this past weekend, just to see how they would do, and they all seem happy. All the zoas are open and the GOC has great polyp extension. I'm not sure if I should wait or not, but I want to transfer more SPS into the tank. What do u guys think?

Not much to update....put a few of my original frags into the new tank and they seem to be doing well. Alk, Cal, and Mag all seem to be stabilized, and haven't had to dose yet. I'm working on my picture taking skills, so hopefully the next pics I post will 100% better than anything I've taken in the past. Once I get the other frags in, I'll update with some pics

Well, I finally got to take some PAR readings on my new ATI fixture, and everything looks great. I think my coral will flourish under this light....I'm getting 500's in the center sand bed! Nothing like my old tanks lighting, where I was barely hitting 300 at the top of the tank. I'm surprised I was able to grow any SPS in that system.

On a down note, I forgot to rinse a few of my frags, after dipping them in Coral RX. Nothing is wrong with my tank or the frags, but the Coral RX is making my skimmer go crazy and overflow anytime I have it on DOH!. I setup my carbon reactor and did a water change, but it might take a while before it's out of the system. Hopefully everything will be ok without a skimmer for a bit.

On a good note, I decided to put some fish into the tank, and all is well. I'm still working on my picture taking, but I will try to post some in the next few days. But in the mean time, here are my PAR readings....

IMG_2444-1.jpg

IMG_2445-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little update on the tank......water parameters are still staying stable. Alk 8, Cal 450, Mag 1300.....I've had to dose my alk to keep it in the 8's, I also had to raise my mag from 1200 to 1300, but calcium has never really budged off of 450. Just thought it was interesting since my last tank constantly ate my alk and calcium nonstop. Frags are back in the tank and doing well. Fish are happy and eating great. To celebrate the new tank I purchased a Potter's Angel and a Flameback Angel, both are doing great. My Flame Angel tried to bully the Potter's for the first few days, but they seem to be buddies now. I am having a problem with the Lawnmower Blenny I recently got.....he constantly chases my Flame Hawk on sight and I don't know why. Are these 2 fish not compatible? I don't know much about Lawnmower's, but he is super aggressive towards the Flame Hawk, and I am afraid it will end in death one day. Here is a new tank shot, kinda messy with frags all over, but I will organize it soon.....

IMG_2443-1.jpg

IMG_9044CR2.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! The frag rack will be going away soon......I'm thinking about putting it in my refugium, but I need to workout some sort of lighting so the fuge can work as a frag tank too. If u have any ideas, please let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

J, awesoem choice on the lighting...you will love the open top! So glad you didnt box it up.

What bulb's are you using?

I also like the rockscape, if you can fully separate the two islands that would just be a kicker.

Are you just dosing this tank, or did you setup a reactor?

Sorry if you already answered all these questions, i didnt read through the entire thread.

cheers bud!

J, awesoem choice on the lighting...you will love the open top! So glad you didnt box it up.

What bulb's are you using?

I also like the rockscape, if you can fully separate the two islands that would just be a kicker.

Are you just dosing this tank, or did you setup a reactor?

Sorry if you already answered all these questions, i didnt read through the entire thread.

cheers bud!

Hey Isaac, long time no see. I have an ATI 10 bulb fixture, which consists of: 5-Blue Plus, 2 Purple Plus, 2 Coral Plus, and 1 AquaBlue Special. The lighting is great (almost too much light) and my coral are responding with good growth. A lot of them are having to adjust to the new light and are showing me colors I never thought they had.

As for the aquascaping, I am still in the process of organizing the tank and placing things where I want. I've been moving rocks and coral around, trying to find where I want everything to go exactly. I like to 2 island look too, but I'm not sure I can make it happen.

I am still dosing, but I am starting to realize that this new tank is going to be sucking down the Alk and Cal at a tremendous rate, so I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up.

Send me a PM and let me know how your tank is doing.

Great setup' date=' I have always been told acrylic tanks require full tops with no gaps just curious if you added one.[/quote']

What do u mean by a full top with no gaps? Why would an acrylic tank need a top?