3D printers, here's your chance to be a hero

half-astronaut

• half-astronaut changed the title to 3D printers, here's your chance to be a hero

I would also like for you to explain your vision. I am not running the trident system. Do you already have the filed to make this? If you don't, you/ someone need to design it or check varies 3d printing sites. I do know 3 free places you can go to design a 3d model.  If you have the file and this thing is small/ easy to print, I can print it.

39 minutes ago, Micah said:

Manifolds?  Can you explain what you mean?

Inside the Trident there are 6 separate tubes that all connect to a central manifold.  Water and/or reagents are pumped through the tubes to the appropriate location as it goes through its testing cycles.  Many people have had problems where the tubes slip off the manifold fittings, leading to failed tests and leaks.  For the record, mine has never had any problems for nearly 3 years now.

Trident.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuncrestReef said:

Inside the Trident there are 6 separate tubes that all connect to a central manifold.  Water and/or reagents are pumped through the tubes to the appropriate location as it goes through its testing cycles.  Many people have had problems where the tubes slip off the manifold fittings, leading to failed tests and leaks.  For the record, mine has never had any problems for nearly 3 years now.

Trident.jpg

The trident knows it’s master. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Parzifal said:

The trident knows it’s master. 

I got one of the very first Tridents on launch night, but I got it 36 minutes early due to a glitch in the BRS web site.  They accidentally opened it up for sale in advance of the midnight sale schedule. They were sold out 1 hour later. 🥳

Unfortunately, 3d printing is a poor candidate for this.  3d printed objects are hard to make water tight.  Would probably be easier to CNC one out of acrylic, but the same problem would likely exist. It's hard to machine or print barbs on nipples that small.  Can you just use a zip tie on each of the tubes?

13 hours ago, Micah said:

Unfortunately, 3d printing is a poor candidate for this.  3d printed objects are hard to make water tight.  Would probably be easier to CNC one out of acrylic, but the same problem would likely exist. It's hard to machine or print barbs on nipples that small.  Can you just use a zip tie on each of the tubes?

They're really small. If there was a spring clip that size it might work, but I don't know where I'd find one. 

This may be a terrible idea, but would a single drop of thickset superglue hold it on?  

i don’t believe CA glue bonds well to the material the trident is made out of (just a guess!) so could be scraped off without too much trouble.

just thinking that little bit or resistance would keep the tubes on maybe. 

On 4/16/2022 at 11:36 AM, half-astronaut said:

They're really small. If there was a spring clip that size it might work, but I don't know where I'd find one. 

Yes, it seems like a tiny little spring clip would be perfect, but wow, tough to install!

Anything that puts pressure against the tube in the direction of the barb could help perhaps.   I can think of a few things but sure don't want to mess with my trident!

The barb should not be in the place that tube goes over. It should be more like fasteners that hold the tube in place. It can be clipped over the manifold itself like a cover. This way original design would not be affected and this is a piece that can easily be 3d printed. 

64633C5C-0284-4E19-BFE2-2AC4072C9538.jpeg

11 hours ago, ShoeCrew said:

The barb should not be in the place that tube goes over. It should be more like fasteners that hold the tube in place. It can be clipped over the manifold itself like a cover. This way original design would not be affected and this is a piece that can easily be 3d printed. 

64633C5C-0284-4E19-BFE2-2AC4072C9538.jpeg

Oooh, I like that. I ordered some some 3mm spring clips off Amazon for a couple bucks. I suspect they wont fit in the allotted space. If that doesn't work I'm into getting this printed.