727gal build

danlu_gt

I got 5 2.5" holes drilled.  Picked up silicone seal and Great Stuff to seal the gap between floor and PVC pipes.

Also started tearing down my old tank.  Moved all my fishes over to their new home, but it's an AIO now until I get a sump and finish prepping the sump room.

I always wash my hands and arms before working on my tank.  Never thought I would be washing my feet and legs too.  Haha

20201204_161123.jpg

20201208_093637.jpg

• Like 1

Whoa Daniel - you have been busy man!  Congrats on the new tank, and the new house!  That had to be a seriously heavy lift to get it moved in... hope you didn't hurt anything too badly.  Can't wait to see this up and running in it's completed form.  Maybe you should invest in some scuba gear for maintenance 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Filled with 400gal, raised the skimmer, moved more rocks from old tank... until I get a sump, daily top off 3-4gals is becoming a chore, so I got 2 polycarbonate sheets to cover the top.  Put 3 ReeFi Uno prototypes as temporary lighting.

I also transfered my 2 harlequin shrimps from frag tank.  I wasn't sure how my 3" yellow Corie wrasse would react to them.  Only my Regal angel showed some interest for first 2 mins.

20201226_200044.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/21/2020 at 3:35 PM, Reefsakes said:

Looks great! Would built the stand? May have to get one built for my big system too. 

On 12/21/2020 at 3:41 PM, albertareef said:

My guess would be Scott @spectra He has done really fine metal work on heavy duty stands for many of the reefers on here.

Yes, Scott did a great job on the stand.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

Filled with 400gal, raised the skimmer, moved more rocks from old tank... until I get a sump, daily top off 3-4gals is becoming a chore, so I got 2 polycarbonate sheets to cover the top.  Put 3 ReeFi Uno prototypes as temporary lighting.

I also transfered my 2 harlequin shrimps from frag tank.  I wasn't sure how my 3" yellow Corie wrasse would react to them.  Only my Regal angel showed some interest for first 2 mins

Looking great!  

Sounds like it's time for a APEX DOS setup and an optical sensor, for daily ATO.   Set it up with a simple "add 4 gallons of water from midnight to 7am", with "stop if level sensor is hit."   By not trying to replace evap water real time, you can work in the tank all day and not trigger this ATO cycle.   And by morning, it's topped back up - with no work.

For filling the tank, I'm at the same point you are.  Moving things from temp storage of the old tank, into the new tank.  When to move, when to move.  In my case, none of the old rock is moving into the new system.  It's in the frag tanks, connected to the same water system.   When it's time, they'll come out and get bleached.  Dont like whats on them now - but need the biology to get the new/dry rocks established.

• 1 month later...

Worked on sink drain plumbing. Waiting for amazon to deliver washing machine outlet box to finish the drain system then connect to sewer line. Plan is to place the skimmer waste line into the washing machine outlet box drain. Then use a solenoid to "flush out" the drain line daily or just use RO waste water to flush out the drain line.

20210210_231451.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

Making some progress... Just the right size sink for tiny sump room (AKA Harry Potter's room). 🤣

20210207_124107.jpg

Are you planning any Counter Top space around the sink to set things, while you're washing/etc?    In my frag room, I didn't add any counter space and find I'm constantly bringing in a stool to set things on while working in the tanks.   I've now got a pair of Flip Up Shelf brackets, in stainless, to install for a "counter-on-demand."   Space is a premium in my equipment room.

image.png

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSZ4G7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

2 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Are you planning any Counter Top space around the sink to set things, while you're washing/etc?    In my frag room, I didn't add any counter space and find I'm constantly bringing in a stool to set things on while working in the tanks.   I've now got a pair of Flip Up Shelf brackets, in stainless, to install for a "counter-on-demand."   Space is a premium in my equipment room.

image.png

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSZ4G7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love that idea.  Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

BTW - for my install, I'm going to size where the brackets can go - and then bias final install with what size plastic cutting board I can find on Amazon - and hopefully with a drip/juice groove.   When shelf is folded up, I'll get less drips on the floor.   An easy wipe with a towel before folding down, clean up inevitable splashes, then fold the shelf down.

image.png

https://smile.amazon.com/Extra-Plastic-Carving-Groove-Certified/dp/B083F9WB86/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+cutting+board+black+groove&qid=1613066468&sr=8-14

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made more progress over last 2 weeks after graduating from University of YouTube and got some tips from FB groups. Sink is fully functional and plumbing leak tested. Ran out of dry wall mud to finish patching up the wall. Next steps: paint, water seal, replace carpet with hardwood, then I can move the sump in and connect to my fish tank.

20210225_082249.jpg

20210226_033322.jpg

20210226_041051.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on the progress.  Looks like you've designed it nice and clean.

On my end, I finished installation of the Foldable Shelves.  How did I ever get things done without them.  I've already used them pretty much Daily.   White one generally stay up full time, black one gets folded up&down with every use.   Easy, smooth, perfect solution for me.

• Like 1