727gal build

danlu_gt

Walls painted and water sealed.  Replaced carpet with hardwood.  I made the mistake of starting the hardwood at the far end.  Initially, I thought with the crawlspace lid hatch, I should start at the other end.  This made the last board ripping very difficult since I can't hide any excess under the base board.

20210303_182823.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

7+hrs later, pretty much done.. Will be ready for leak test tmr. I wanted to be able to drain the pipes in case I need to service them. I'll need to put a pump so it'll drain the pipes into the laundry outlet.

Nice lines, and I like the drain idea.   One thought, your drain lines may build up sludge (or dead snails) - so you may not want to hard plumb a drain pump.   

There's a couple of ways to handle this, and all involve some kind of Crud Trap before the pump.  The simplest is to drain into a 5 gallon bucket in the crawl space, where the sludge/shells will collect, and use a simple submersible pump to pull water out and into the drain.   You'd want to empty each pipe separately, to not overflow the bucket...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I think there should be 70 fishes. A few new additions didn't make it. Filled the pipes with water to test for leaks. One of the pipe might be leaking... Will need to go back in the crawlspace to see what's going on.

20210324_091222.jpg

20210324_054756.jpg

That is a lot of yellow tang biomass in there!  Going to start a captive breeding program 😃  Really starting to take shape - nice job!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some updates....

Finally finished plumbing to the sump and filled up the tank 2 weeks ago:

20210408_150607.JPG

Added auto filter floss.  It's kinda rewarding seeing the dirty part rolled up.  I wonder what the fabric is made of.  Hope it's not polyester... I would hate to be generating more plastic waste.20210409_102508.JPG

After a day or so, fishes go used to higher water level and come to the surface to beg for food as usual:
20210409_112929.JPG

Finished printing some light rack mounting parts.  I used 2040 aluminum but they don't ship in 10ft lengths, so I ended have to use extenders to secure 2 pieces of 5ft length.
20210419_200802.JPG20210419_190235.JPG

I ended up putting 10 ReeFi Unos over 10ft x 42in x 36in H tank.  Light coverage seems pretty even, but I might add a few more later on just cause I have a bunch of Unos. haha
20210419_211548.JPG20210420_001955.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ocboat said:

Awesome build, looks great.  Are you going to run a custom program on your lights or one of your pre programmed ones?

I'm running custom for all but the 2 center ones.  I use polycarbonate sheet to cover the top of my tank to prevent evaporation to the tank room.  Unfortunately, I just discovered that polycarbonate blocks at least 2/3 or more of the UV light, so I crank up the UV for all but the 2 center Unos which are over glass center brace.

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2021 at 2:35 PM, albertareef said:

Looking great Daniel!  BTW - I meant to ask what happened with the crosshatch triggers?  They would have made short work of some of those new fish additions!

Unfortunately, I lost both crosshatches. 😢  I think they might have over eaten and injured their stomach.  Then they stop eating.  Now, I can have more smaller fishes without them becoming dinner.

• Sad 1

Been awhile since I updated.  All the heavy feeding I've been doing (trying to get new fishes to fatten up), have caused phosphate to shot up between 2-4ppm.  Nitrate was pretty high but got it down to 10ppm with vodka dosing.  I attempted to uses Lanthanum Chloride to reduce phosphate by dosing directly into one of the skimmer over 8hrs period.  Dose enough to reduce phosphate by 0.5ppm over total system of 850ish gal.  I though that dose was slow enough for the skimmer to remove all the precipitants, but enough escaped to suffocated 4 flame wrasses and 6 yellow tangs. 😭   I was devastated.  For now, I will live with high phosphate.

Added a couple new corals every week or so, mostly hammers and torches.  SPS frags still show good PE but haven't grown much probably due to high phosphate.  Here are some pics from tonight:

DLU_5937.JPG

DLU_5940.JPG

DLU_5953.JPG

DLU_5956.JPG

DLU_5971.JPG

DLU_5975.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

Unfortunately, I lost both crosshatches. 😢  I think they might have over eaten and injured their stomach.  Then they stop eating.  Now, I can have more smaller fishes without them becoming dinner.

Sorry to hear about the cross hatches - they were impressive.  At least you can diversify your fish population a bit more now without worrying about predation.  Silver lining I guess...

10 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

Been awhile since I updated.  All the heavy feeding I've been doing (trying to get new fishes to fatten up), have caused phosphate to shot up between 2-4ppm.  Nitrate was pretty high but got it down to 10ppm with vodka dosing.  I attempted to uses Lanthanum Chloride to reduce phosphate by dosing directly into one of the skimmer over 8hrs period.  Dose enough to reduce phosphate by 0.5ppm over total system of 850ish gal.  I though that dose was slow enough for the skimmer to remove all the precipitants, but enough escaped to suffocated 4 flame wrasses and 6 yellow tangs. 😭   I was devastated.  For now, I will live with high phosphate.

Added a couple new corals every week or so, mostly hammers and torches.  SPS frags still show good PE but haven't grown much probably due to high phosphate.  Here are some pics from tonight:

DLU_5937.JPG

DLU_5940.JPG

DLU_5953.JPG

DLU_5956.JPG

DLU_5971.JPG

DLU_5975.JPG

Ouch!  Sorry to hear about the fish loss - that would be devastating.  That euphyllia collection is amazing though!