The monster cometh!!!

pdxmonkeyboy

14 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

It really is absurdly large. I am still trying to bribe the structural engineers at work to design my floor reinforcements. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Calculated a weight for just the tank yet?  Wondering how many bodies you will need to move it 😁  I'm sure you come up with some ingenious way to reinforce those floors...

14 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Calculated a weight for just the tank yet?  Wondering how many bodies you will need to move it 😁  I'm sure you come up with some ingenious way to reinforce those floors...

It's a hefty tank, but honestly Id be surprised if it weighs more than 350lbs dry. My own calculations based on dreaming of identical dimensions would be about 5800-6000lbs filled but because of the surface area its really not that much pressure once distributed. 

56 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

The tank itself is coming it around 550 pounds. 1 sq. ft. of 1" acrylic weighs 5.76 lbs.  And there is 60 sq. ft. of just side panels.   I am using 6,000lbs for load bearing and deflection calcs. 

With eight double 2x4 legs you are looking at 71psi of pressure on each leg.  So I will likely place the tank legs on 3/4" plywood squares..unless I tile the fish room floor.  The soil under my house has a AASHTO rating of A-6 which means it a fairly plastic clay material with poor load bearing.  Its around 2,000 ps/f.  So I know that your typically 8x8" concrete piers will suffice for footings but I do not know if I have to worry about frost heave and shrink swell in the soils that are in my crawlspace.  I have left over 3.5x 12 LVLs that will be placed under my floor joists.  

That was the plan anyways...

1. rip out carpet and padding

2. tear out a sheet or two of subfloor to gain access to the crawl space

3. place or pour footings and bracing

4. run floor and sink drains

5. replace subfloor, coat with redguard

6. tile with PVC trim and silicone to tile. 

7. Remove door to room and move to other wall. 

8. install temporary bracing and remove part of load bearing wall.  Install header beam 

9. Install ventilation system

10. install propane fired back up generator, run seperate wiring to fish room.

9. Move tank into place

10. Install RO system, fill tank with water, transfer all rock to tank.

11. Install sink, work space, mixing station, fuge plumbing, 

12. install closed loop and return plumbing

13. install pulley and light rack

14. Install halides, ballasts and T5

15. Turn everything on.

I knew you would have a plan!  All sounds logical... now you just have to wait and see what goes wrong 'cause, you know, it's a reef tank after all 🤗

• 2 weeks later...

Now that you're done... I could really use a new sump for my fishroom remodel.   Nothing fancy. but to fit it needs some non std dimensions.

Any chance you've got scrap around and willing to build me a plexi box?    32" long x 26" wide x 23" tall.   I'll drill and tweak after that.  But my sumps have always basically been boxes, and add afterwards.

On 2/16/2020 at 9:50 AM, obrien.david.j said:

Now that you're done... I could really use a new sump for my fishroom remodel.   Nothing fancy. but to fit it needs some non std dimensions.

Any chance you've got scrap around and willing to build me a plexi box?    32" long x 26" wide x 23" tall.   I'll drill and tweak after that.  But my sumps have always basically been boxes, and add afterwards.

Edited by pdxmonkeyboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On a more practical topic, tell me about your plans to manage Rust.     

I used my google skills and found UniStrut Defender has published rust resistance over Galvanized,  but 3000 hours is about 4 months.  I build to last years.    

I found references to stainless UniStrut, and to Fiberglas UniStrut.  Yours looks metal.  

image.png

Built my "little" light rack thus evening. Made with unistrut which is kind of like erector set for adults.

Three hoods will hang from the top middle bar and four two bulb t5ho fixtures will attach to the lower bars along with a reefbrite xho blue strip on each side. The lower bars swivel so I can slightly angle the bottom lights towards the center of the tank.

And the pulleys on top will be used to raise and lower the whole thing. I think tonight was the first time I said to myself.. dude, this is totally ridiculous.
7d27ba44119508d722273fb0b702f2b7.jpgd7566ca8746d23d221d07d3afb0d5f1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You going to powder coat the whole thing? Spray paint?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

"You build.for years?" Or you pay people to build for years? Lol

I am not going to paint it or do any other coatings. They come coated in zinc and an additional zinc dichromate coating.

It is not going to be in a salt spray environment which is direct contact with saltwater. I had a unistrut pipe clamp.above my sump.for two years and didnt see any rust on it.

What about aesthetics?  That piss-yellowish-silvery color of unistrut isn't exactly the most attractive. Just saying.  🤣

Are you at least going to peel off the barcode price sticker?

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 7.00.22 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1