Glue accelerator

Gumby

If you haven't used a glue accelerator before, this stuff is awesome when glueing larger frags especially.  Put some glue on the frag plug spray a little accelerator on and put the frag on and boom in 2 seconds it is solid. Well draw back is if you are not quick you have to start over.

20200104_152605.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xxkenny90xx said:

Interesting, are the ingredients on it? I'd love to find an equivalent product that's not made for reefing

Any hobby store  should have it.  It is just cyanoacrylic (aka super glue or CA) accelerator.  Same stuff just with BRS sticker on it.

image.pngimage.png

Edited by cjmdh
  • Thanks 1

I have some of the BRS accelerator and it does work good. I feel weird spraying a frag with it, but hasn’t bothered anything. I rinse it off before dropping into tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never sprayed a frag; I use a bulb pipette to put a drop on the glue at the base. Not that I think it would hurt the tissue, I just have never done it.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I've never sprayed a frag; I use a bulb pipette to put a drop on the glue at the base. Not that I think it would hurt the tissue, I just have never done it.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Well that makes way too much sense!! And saves a lot of it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I love this stuff, and thought I'd share my whole fragging system.

Start with 18 egg carton, clip the tops of the dividers off.  This is the perfect frag plug holder and glueing rack.

Cut a stash of frags.   Dip each plug in water, and fill then set into the egg carton carrier.

Squeeze gel super glue onto a plug, stick frag into glue and and arrange as desired.   

Spray the glue (and inevitably some of the frag too) with insta-set, wait five seconds.   

I tend to glue up a carton worth of frags.  And, IMPORTANT STEP,  rinse insta-set off by dipping in a cup full of tank water.    I forgot a few times, and put the frags straight into the tank.  first one or two was fine.  But after doing a dozen, the tank didn't like it.   Simple dip is enough rinse for me.

There, That's my system. Egg Carton frag holder.  

IMG_4705.jpg

• Like 5

If anybody is interested in the chemical makeup of the insta set, here is a link to the msds for this stuff.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.bsi-inc.com/sds_pdf/sds_insta_set.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjKjdrJq-7mAhXXvZ4KHf64CtgQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw12znQ7wYVqYykgWBAXPf6K

The two ingredients in it are:

1. Naphtha (Petroleum) Hydrotreated Heavy

2. N,N Dimethyl-P-Toluidine

Might want to be a bit careful while using this stuff. Just looking at some safety data sheets for the second ingredient, they state that it's highly toxic to both humans and aquatic life.

I know superglue will cure faster in alkali conditions and I usually use a small spray bottle of baking soda water and that has done me pretty well if I need to have the frag glue faster. I'm not sure if it's as effective as the insta-set from brs though. Only costs pennies to make though which is nice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trailermann said:

Nate said:  .... and I usually use a small spray bottle of baking soda water and that has done me pretty well if I need to have the frag glue faster. 

I tried baking soda powder and it was a disaster.  Never thought of a simple solution spray.

Yup, I'm not sure of the concentration though, I'd start out very little on the baking soda part to water, then add little little by little to make sure it doesn't burn the coral tissue, but if it's just applied to the glue before attaching the coral to it, should be fine and there's not even a need to rinse the frag since the baking soda can only add to the alkalinity of the tank which is usually a good thing.