Black Friday wishlist...

Manny Tavan

Wow, I have everything on your wishlist except for the MP40.  I went with a WAV instead.  I went on a pretty big shopping spree early this year!

I actually purchased through a wholesaler I met on Reef2Reef and got between 10%-18% off each item.

Edited by SuncrestReef

19 minutes ago, chewie said:

If your wish list also includes lots of fish, I’d wish for the nyos 220. 

I ran the 160 on my reefer 525 for a month and upgraded to the 220 because the 160 was overfilling the cup every 2-3 days. I only had 5 fish at the time. They’re super under rated. 

That’s why I connected my Nyos 160 to the Avast skimmate locker.  I only have to empty it about every 14 days. 

29607300-961E-4A23-BDD2-BD2EEAA7493C.jpeg

1 hour ago, TheClark said:

Wait, that skimmer cup looks full!  Illusion?

Yes, it's an illusion.  There's only about 1/8" of liquid in the cup.  The lid has a concave dome inside, and the sides of the cup are just hazy from scum, so in that photo it sort of looks full.  Here's what it looks like when clean:

IMG_2663.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Yes, it's an illusion.  There's only about 1/8" of liquid in the cup.  The lid has a concave dome inside, and the sides of the cup are just hazy from scum, so in that photo it sort of looks full.  Here's what it looks like when clean:

IMG_2663.jpg

Such a nice looking setup!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Just to sow the seeds of doubt.... I think the maxpect gyre blows the mp's out of the water.  Quiet, laminar flow, and they are POWERFUL.  like crazy powerful.   The big plus is that the flow doesn't radiate out like a cone on the traditional powerheads.  Just a thought.  

I agree, I love my Gyre FX-230.  I have one on the right side of my tank, then a single WAV on the left back wall to create a cross current.  The Gyre moves a LOT of water across a wider path than typical powerheads.

I'm super tempted to try a cheap economy build. I have all the bells and whistles on my current 34 Gallon but part of me wants to try the Jebao DCT8000 return pump ($90), jebao gyre wavemakers ($130 x 2), and chinese LED boxes ($160 x 3) on this new build. 

Edited by Manny Tavan

1 hour ago, Manny Tavan said:

I'm super tempted to try a cheap economy build. I have all the bells and whistles on my current 34 Gallon but part of me wants to try the Jebao DCT8000 return pump ($90), jebao gyre wavemakers ($130 x 2), and chinese LED boxes ($160 x 3) on this new build. 

I’ve used all of these with some success.  The wave makers if kept clean do well.  It’s the controllers that stop working in my experience. I have not had a return pump go bad yet and the Chinese black box lights are ok. I don’t like the color blending much and the diodes tend to go out sooner.  Just my .02

1 hour ago, Manny Tavan said:

I think we all get caught up in buying the most expensive stuff a lot of times. I think its totally doable to go the cheaper route. 

I would go Jebao return definitely. I have one of these I its been a great pump. If you are concerned about quality buy two. Still 1/2 to 1/3 of some pumps.

https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-DCP-6500-Sine-Water-Return/dp/B01N48UDBY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542747681&sr=8-2&keywords=jebao+dcp

Lighting is another. How many successful tanks have you seen lite up by Ocean Revives? That's a sub $200 fixture

• Like 1