Randall's shallow reef

PowderBlue

yea its taptalk i can see it on the laptop, good looking tank for sure!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thought so too... These are older generation emitters at that. The new fixtures have even better color in my opinion. One of the trick things about the new fixtures. The emitters are patented from Osram... "Nature Perfect" First emitters developed to be the same color as the natural ocean, can be over driven, plus take moisture variances (which usually lead to shorten life of aquarium LEDs) ...PLUS, what you see and what are provided to the corals are two different things. Light blue to the eye, with dark blue/purple power. Nothing else like them :cool: :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update

Calcium reactor is all dialed in, alk sits at 9.2

Tested ammonia its zip

nitrites are zip

and nitrates are between 0 and 5 ppm

calcium is 450

I need to grab a few packets to test my po4 but ill make an educated guess that its low :)

All my corals are doing great, the forest fire is showing good growth already and my other sps are growing very well!

Im about a week into my T5 fixture and im very happy with it, sps and lps seem to have better color already, the only thing i miss is that "pop" i might address that with a reefbrite strip. Im not sure if its worth 200 bucks yet.

I also ordered the tunze care magnet and i must say, that thing is legit, does an amazing job! 0afbf5e6ae786f3eda014b028004f6eb.jpg

• Like 1

No need to test your phosphates if things are looking good and you are not seeing a lot of algae! It's nice when you get a calcium reactor dialed in! Much less work than dosing and cheaper in the long run just have to make sure you have a good one. I had the solenoid go out several times on the first piece of crap calcium reactor we had.

Love the minimalist look too.

I also got a tunze magnet and they are pretty fun! Love that I don't have to be too careful cleaning on the edges or near the bottom!

If I do sps I have debated dosing or getting a calcium reactor. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For the overflow I was 50/50 on painting it. I like to be able to see if anything is in it, but it looks kinda like crap. Lol I'll probably end up covering it.

One thing you can try is using those black plastic pvc sheets with velcro to cover the overflows.  Best of both worlds, almost.  No algae growth, covers the ugliness but available for inspection.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Apex all hooked up, im running and programmed tonight! Ive got

Return pump

Gyre

heater

daylights

actinics

All individually controlled! No more worrying if the heater will get stuck on or running out to my garage to turn the pumps to feed mode!

This thing is amazing compared to my old reefkeeper! I still have 3 power plugs open for others things on the EB8 too! Now i just need to manage all the wires... dc14d0f6d84e80f43c0dc6c15c0fdbee.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...