Acro keeper

Tim

A good lighting system that brings out the best in the zooxanthellae and fluorescent pigments.

Is this a viable answer, and if not can I get partial credit? I would hate to fail a test with a zero score.

I already pick 5 that I knew well so I need 10 more

Again the question is supplement for corals not just sps

Man this one threw most people off as it is mentioned as a "Supplement", it got me thinking though.

Man this one threw most people off as it is mentioned as a "Supplement"

I agree.....using the word "supplement" made people think that you were looking for something that is added to the water.  It is also a trick question since no supplement will make a coral "happy" without the help of the other "supplements".  Lighting would not make any coral happy without having the correct ratio of additives like salt, alk, cal, and mag.....these additives will not make coral happy without having flow.....etc.  They all need to work together.  Just my 2 cents, but now i'm done.  Good luck with your growout

• Like 2

Posting the picture for Tim0d0b4491333a38966f73f2d32c1a3510.jpg

So let me get this straight you want THIS to become what the PNWMAS is known for?

This is not even in the same league as what the northwest is known for already Oregon tort, west side rainbow tort, a few from reefnjunky and Upscales microlados ect...

And light is your answer!!! Really? Are we in grade school know.

You know people really like these comp there is always more people then spots so please stop f-Ing with every one and just pick out your (chosen few).

So let me get this straight you want THIS to become what the PNWMAS is known for?

This is not even in the same league as what the northwest is known for already Oregon tort, west side rainbow tort, a few from reefnjunky and Upscales microlados ect...

You know people really like these comp there is always more people then spots so please stop f-Ing with every one and just pick out your (chosen few).

You're looking at the wrong picture, and for you to know I name westside rainbow tort and westside longhorn LE

Some of you don't know Tim from back in the day... What you should know if quite a few of the sps you see in show tanks today came from Tim's tank or thing's he brought in.. Anything with Westside came from his store. So yes is PNWMAS!!!!!

Yes I know where the westside name came from. But ether it's my phone loading the pics or I'm color blind but all I see is a pal brown and white. Will have to take your word for it that it has as much potential as you say it dose. Will follow this even tho I'm not in the good old boys club!

Wow Tim, you are barely back and you are already getting the forum riled up! :congratulatory:

Those of you on here who are new, I will tell you that TIm used to own Westside Aquarium. It was in the same complex that Bret has his frag tank. It's now a brewery. They have good beer there now :).

I will also tell you that Tim did have great taste and had one of the nicest display tanks around with sps. He knows his SPS and he had great coloration. I learned a lot about sps from him and in fact Beth and I got our first sps pack from here including the oregon blue tort and the Westside rainbow.

Obviously there are not enough spots and his coral he can decide who he wants to choose and yes it does suck for those who don't get picked. Of course he is going to go with people he knows and of course that doesn't seem fair.

Honestly I would suggest people post pictures of their current tanks and if there are still too many to pick then do a raffle but not my coral not my choice. :nono:  :happy:

I will be curoius to know how the colors come out in different tanks. There are a lot of skilled sps growers out here!

And to answer your question Tim, they key to sps is alk, calcium and magnesium in perfect balance, good lighthing with good par as well as a good color spectrum, (ATI powermodule did great) Keeping nitrites down but not too low as coral needs nutrients, supplements like amino acids may help with growth but not necessary, lots of flow. we used to run carbon and gfoTemperature is also important and in the summer. Keeping pests to a minimum so dipping frags and having a good wrasse in the tank like a melanarus not a bad idea. etc, etc.  Even doing all the right things you will go down to your tank room one day and find one of your favorite frags has turned solid white for no

apparent reason at all. :)

Sidebar: Tim I missed your list. I didn't think I made the cut! :) Thanks for thinking of me but honestly my tank is still pretty new right now so I don't want to add anything so delicate. :)

lol... This thread sure did get amusing quick!

Anyone who's getting butthurt over this needs to chill out, it's just a frag coloring contest.

Hey I didn't even make the cut and I've known Tim for a long time and last time I checked I was halfway decent at keeping sps.

• Like 2

lol... This thread sure did get amusing quick!

Anyone who's getting butthurt over this needs to chill out, it's just a frag coloring contest.

Hey I didn't even make the cut and I've known Tim for a long time and last time I checked I was halfway decent at keeping sps.

If you didn't make the cut I'm not even close LOl. Can't wait to see the grow out !

All I'm saying is, Tim posted this thread saying he had 15 open spots to do an SPS growout, and made it sound like anyone could join in.  Then he turns around and just starts listing his friends as the participants.  I mean, lets be adult about this.....it is his colony and he can do whatever he wants with it, but don't wave ice cream in everyone's faces and then say we can't have any :nono: .  He should have just started a growout thread listing his friends and saying these are the people that will help me grow my new SPS.  I'm not mad at Tim, just upset with the way he handled his own growout.

My apologies if I made any mistakes, well to make this contest fair there are 6 spot available if someone have a bright idea how to do this please step up.

To be fair I will not be involved on this 6 drawing, who ever step up will do the pick

Tim I made a suggestion. I think you missed my post above. Also I appreciate the offer to help grow this beauty but I will decline as my tank is so new so that should give you one more spot.  You should pick how ever you want Tim. It's your coral and very nice of you to offer it up to people. :)

Kim I think you're pretty fair why don't you do the pick for us, is very generous of you to give up you spot

Thanks Tim! I'm happy to help!  How many spots are left?  I would say people who still want a spot can post up a picture of there tank here. I can then post them up in a new thread (similar to the POTM contest) and then we can let the members vote on who they think the top candidates are?

How does that sound to everyone?

Thanks Tim! I'm happy to help!  How many spots are left?  I would say people who still want a spot can post up a picture of there tank here. I can then post them up in a new thread (similar to the POTM contest) and then we can let the members vote on who they think the top candidates are?

I think paid  members should get first pick and not everyone has a fancy camera .. okay maybe just me (yikes)

With your spot total of 7 thanks Kim

I think paid members should get first pick and not everyone has a fancy camera .. okay maybe just me (yikes)

You don't need a fancy camera Karen. Cell phone pictures are fine and down the road with this growoit pictures are going to be important to see how things are going for everyone. Any growout I did required pictures. Also there are already people on the list that aren't paying members so that wouldn't be fair. Not everyone is going to be happy and Karen you have my vote. I know you know what you're doing. ???? Having said that I don't want to just pick people I know because that wouldn't be fair either.????

As I waited all day but there is no other answer so there will be only one qualify and the rest I will pick as I know they will take care of it

Here is the list

Ken

Frank

Brad

Fernando

Kim

Isaac

Batchelor

Jorge thanks for your thought about this whole thing

Last rule people cannot trade or sell their spot for any reason

I respect everyone the same so please respect the competition

If in someway I did not pick you not because you're not an expert, I just go with my thought so please excuse me if I'm being rude in any matter

Tim

You're welcome sir, great picks so far :)