Should I restart my tank?

Lazyreefer

I’ve been battling this hair algae for months now. Done pretty much everything I can think of. This tank was restarted from another tank and the rocks were scrubbed clean of hair algae when they were put into here for the first time. Over time it just came back worse. I have tried picking at it almost everyday, water changes, vibrant, foxface and tangs. The water chemistry has never shown more then a 10 reading on my Hanna ULR phosphate and nitrates have never been more then 10 and most of the time they have been very close to 0. If this was your tank would you tear down? And if so would you clean off rock somehow and reuse? It’s some reallly nice Haitian rock I got from woodys I love that I would like to keep and use. Corals grow well in this tank which is the other thing that is weird.... thanks for any input. I know it is really ugly...

B198DD4E-C19F-4245-9BAD-6BAC519AB768.jpeg

Have you tried fluconazole?  I was losing the battle with bryopsis and I used Flux RX and it cleared it up within 1 week.  Supposedly it can also work on green hair algae.  It didn't harm anything else in my tank.

See https://www.marinedepot.com/video/watch/fluconazole-for-green-hair-algae-bryopsis-how-to-treat-your-tank-with-flux-rx-from-blue-life-usa

• Like 1

Also, one thing I've found is that even though, rests will show low to no phosphates, usually the algae is absorbing it before there's time for it to accumulate in the water so a 0 reading could actually be a 25 or 30 without the algae cleaning the water. Do you have a protien skimmer or a refugium? That is one thing that worked for me. Elevating your magnesium levels higher will kill bryopsis (hair algae) off as well. Here's the link to the description. I've done this once and it worked like magic, nothing in the tank was harmed except the algae.    Here's the link: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113109&perpage=25&pagenumber=1.                                                 You will definitely want a protein skimmer if you go this rout as when all the algae died. The skimmer cup quickly filled with a very green liquid.

And to answer your question, for me personally, restarting the tank would be to much of a hassle and more work than needed. I'm guessing that if you did restart the tank and kept your regular schedule of feed and and maintenance and what not that the hair algae would just come back after a while.

• Like 2

I guess the part I’m a bit confused about is you said your Hanna reads phosphate of 10? What units are those? Because I’m pretty sure you are meaning .10 PPM not 10 PPM which would likely kill everything in your tank. Also, what Nate says is true, you likely have much higher levels and the algae is reducing the number. Do you run any phosphate/nitrate reducer like NoPox?

I have also done Fluconazole with success 2x. Overall it is easy, just takes a few weeks for GHA. I would go that route first before doing a reboot.

21 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Have you tried fluconazole?  I was losing the battle with bryopsis and I used Flux RX and it cleared it up within 1 week.  Supposedly it can also work on green hair algae.  It didn't harm anything else in my tank.

See https://www.marinedepot.com/video/watch/fluconazole-for-green-hair-algae-bryopsis-how-to-treat-your-tank-with-flux-rx-from-blue-life-usa

8 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

I just used fluconazole recently for really bad green hair algae that came up while I was gone for three weeks and it works in a couple of days. Then I got cyano and chemiclean cleared that up

second time I’ve used fluconazole with good success

Hmm I have read about this a good amount and have thought about it I have some nice carpet anemone and a big anemone I really like and I have read it can negatively effect anemones. Is that something you guys have noticed?

40 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Also, one thing I've found is that even though, rests will show low to no phosphates, usually the algae is absorbing it before there's time for it to accumulate in the water so a 0 reading could actually be a 25 or 30 without the algae cleaning the water. Do you have a protien skimmer or a refugium? That is one thing that worked for me. Elevating your magnesium levels higher will kill bryopsis (hair algae) off as well. Here's the link to the description. I've done this once and it worked like magic, nothing in the tank was harmed except the algae.    Here's the link: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113109&perpage=25&pagenumber=1.                                                 You will definitely want a protein skimmer if you go this rout as when all the algae died. The skimmer cup quickly filled with a very green liquid.

And to answer your question, for me personally, restarting the tank would be to much of a hassle and more work than needed. I'm guessing that if you did restart the tank and kept your regular schedule of feed and and maintenance and what not that the hair algae would just come back after a while.

Yes I have a protein skimmer that works well for me currently. I have heard of this method I believe somewhere as well I will look into it more if you have had good success with it as well. I think you are right about it coming back also. 

40 minutes ago, Lazyreefer said:

Hmm I have read about this a good amount and have thought about it I have some nice carpet anemone and a big anemone I really like and I have read it can negatively effect anemones. Is that something you guys have noticed?

My black widow anemone split because of the fluconazole but they are fine now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lazyreefer said:

I have a large (10”) bubble tip anemone and it didn’t react at all to the fluconazole.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lazyreefer said:

My BTA didn't mind the fluconazole.  It definitely works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xxkenny90xx said:

There is so much beneficial bacteria in out tanks, it would be a shame to start over. I prefer to solve the issue rather than using a chemical band aid. I think you have an excess nutrient issue, what all are you doing to export nutrients? 

I agree with the first part. Currently I have a brs reactor running gfo and carbon together and a curve 5 skimmer. One thing I think may have happened is my skimmer stopped collecting for a while and I couldn’t get it to work for a little while. I believe this might’ve allowed it to spike the nutrients and get a hold and I have never been able to get it held back since even with dosing vibrant every 3 days for 3 months and having the reactor and skimmer running. 

4 hours ago, xxkenny90xx said:

There is so much beneficial bacteria in out tanks, it would be a shame to start over. I prefer to solve the issue rather than using a chemical band aid. I think you have an excess nutrient issue, what all are you doing to export nutrients? 

12 hours ago, Lazyreefer said:

Oh okay, is that the version that other people here who have used flucanozale and had success have used? (Directed toward everybody else in the thread) 

It’s all more or less the same. When people first started experimenting with it you had to order it through a weird petmed website. After it proved out, most online retailers started carrying it under a brand name like  “Flux Rx”. I believe it is exempt from needing any prescriptions as it’s sold as Reef tank use only. Prior the websites were kinda shady you had to order from (like how some of us have got Interceptor in the past without an Rx online).

34 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

It’s all more or less the same. When people first started experimenting with it you had to order it through a weird petmed website. After it proved out, most online retailers started carrying it under a brand name like  “Flux Rx”. I believe it is exempt from needing any prescriptions as it’s sold as Reef tank use only. Prior the websites were kinda shady you had to order from (like how some of us have got Interceptor in the past without an Rx online).

Oh okay weird how people figure things like these medicines working in reef tanks out!  I ordered the one suncrestreef recommended as it seemed to have the most consistent effective reviews so we’ll see how it goes anyone have suggestions as to using it or just follow directions exactly?