Fishroom Remodel Has Begun!

obrien.david.j

On 10/27/2020 at 2:56 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I have a piece of FRP you can have to mount behind your aquarium.  I have two pieces actually one is 8' long x 30" high and one that is 18" tall.  Protect that wall behind your aquarium and glue up some FRP. 

And you probably already know this.. get rid of that light switch. 

Thanks for the offer, I’m holding off on frp inside the house.   Dry wall has held up well “enough” and will eventually get all replaced if when we ever move.  :)

and yup on switch

And The Stand is in the house.   Fan is there just in case carpet still has dampness.   On to measurements and new holes.

I've chosen to black out the back and the end with black vinyl car wrap.  I've done a small test wrap, it was EASY.  Full size sheet arrives next week.   Last tank, I painted the back black.  Over time the salt creep eroded some and the outside MP40 motor vibrated some off.   So this time it's Vinyl Wrap!

IMG_8451.jpg

• Like 1

Tank is now In The House!   

Move crew converged on our house and we got it done last night.  Joined two furniture dollies together, with foam underneath and it was much easier than getting the tank to the house.    Roll out of garage, around side of house, lift onto deck, ramp into house, and then lift, manipulate, rotate onto a plastic base plate covered with a yoga mat.  Then lift the  base, mat, and tank in one motion and slide it onto the stand.   Much easier than trying to precisely set the tank on the mat&stand, in the corner of the room.   Glass tanks are heavy.  :)

Finished Results:  (with temporary cardboard "skin" for visual effect)

IMG_8504.jpg

IMG_8493.jpg

Final alignment and lift crew

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_8501.JPG

IMG_5415.JPEG

IMG_5419.JPEG

Garage Storage, onto the furniture dollies

IMG_8491.jpg

IMG_8492.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

And ten days later, The tank is Full, correct salinity, has gravel, and Connected To the Main System.   We are back to One Biological Loop!

Water, Salt, Gravel, and Flow!

IMG_8650.jpg

Proof of Flow

IMG_8651.jpg

First Salt

IMG_8620.jpg

Multiple days of running RO

IMG_8607.jpg

John's Mixing Station Design sure made it easer to pump RO into tank, and eventually final salt water to top it up.

IMG_8568.jpg

Edited by obrien.david.j
  • Like 3

Today's Update:

• Problems getting MP60's configured and connected to Apex are solved.
  • Two MP60s and two MP40s installed in tank, and programing challenge posted in attached thread.
  • First pass rockwork planned, and left end in the tank
  • right side islands needed minor rock gluing.  Super glue done, e-marcos cement completed last night.  Going into tank tonight

Current tank view:

IMG_8676.jpg

End view.  MP60s above, MP40s below

IMG_8677.jpg

Rockwork plans.   Front View, and End View

IMG_8668.jpg

IMG_8671.jpg

(Don't get any funny ideas of breaking in, to steal our ultra valuable TP supply.  After seeing this picture, I've already moved it to a more secure location!)

• Like 1

Good Morning Aquarium!

• First round aqua scaping installed last night
  • First fish moved back into tank (ugly cardinal, we have a long history together, >15yr old fish)
  • Clockwise/AntiClockwise MP60/MP40 programming setup at 100%, and run all night.  Whoops.  Moved a lot of sand.
  • (remember this tank is now connected to existing sump, dual frag tanks, with all the old tank rock/livestock/etc.  So biology exists on "the other side of the wall")

Last night, Rocks installed and Flow enabled

image.png

IMG_8687.jpg

This morning Sand Movement

IMG_8689.jpg

IMG_8691.jpg

First Fish!  

IMG_8692.jpg

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

Now that I've gotten the Apex programming down, I was able to throttle back the speeds - and the sand is back in the right places.   

Since you've made some significant Apex programming changes, don't forget to save a new backup of your configuration.  Instructions here:  https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/apex-users-public-service-announcement.622847/

• 3 weeks later...

Update ...  The first set of lights have been mounted, and old-cardinal has a bigger friend!

• Built the first sliding light rack and put on the tank tonight
  • Have placed orders for parts to build the last two light racks.  I'll bet they show up next week.
  • Moved my Vlamingi tank back from the temporary tanks into his new home.  Took a few days to adjust, but he's now as friendly (and hungry) as ever.

When complete, there will be three light racks, each with a pair of Radon LEDs.  All Gen4 Pro.  It's what I have.

Tank and Vlamingi

IMG_8896.jpg

IMG_8897.jpg

IMG_8901.jpg

Light Rack, with and without lights

IMG_8898.jpg

IMG_8899.jpg

IMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8812.jpg

IMG_8813.jpg

Edited by obrien.david.j
fixed picts
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Thanks.  It's not exactly your size, but it's nice to finally be getting more space. 

I must have missed what size your DT is. I don't have a big system yet. Still working on my 80g system. But I am planning it now. Want to really think of my end goal and work back from there. 

Edited by Reefsakes

9 hours ago, Reefsakes said:

I must have missed what size your DT is. I don't have a big system yet. Still working on my 80g system. But I am planning it now. Want to really think of my end goal and work back from there. 

One Integrated system;

• Display is around 250g (68" x 36" x 25" tall)
  • Two ~50g frag tanks (47" x 21" 11" tall)
  • + big sump

And Thanks to design from @SuncrestReef, an awesome mixing and make-up water station.  With fully automated ATO & AWC.   (Why didn't I do THAT sooner in my life!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hit two milestones today.

1. All Lights are In!

• Needed a few more pieces from 8020 to finish fabricating remaining light bars.   
  • Swapped out Gen4's previously on frag tanks, for Gen3's which were on original display tank
  • Thus all six LED's on display tank are now uniform Gen4 Pros

Turned lights up to 100%, the white sand and rocks made the tank Blinding.  Turned back to 10% to let the tank finish settling in.  Feels great to have lights.

AND 2. Dan the cabinet man brought over hood and stand skins for dry fits.   Left the end panel in place, and the box for drawers on the far end.  Should be back with finished product early next week.

Check out the picts

IMG_8991.jpg

IMG_8992.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Looks great!  Nice job on the light mounts.

Do you have a PAR meter?

Yes, it's the Apex PMK, PAR monitor.   I don't keep it underwater full time, just when interested in readings.   I'll try to measure the tank.   

Right now, the LEDs are set to 100% on Blues, <5% on red/green/whites.   How badly will that skew the PAR readings?