Fishroom Remodel Has Begun!

obrien.david.j

I recognize that superior stand quality!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 10:55 PM, Higher Thinking said:

I recognize that superior stand quality!

On 9/19/2020 at 10:12 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

My monster is held up by spectras handywork as well. 

I'd heard, "there's a local guy who makes stands."   I had no idea how good he was, nor how widely he's influence the local aquarist population.   I simply repeat my earlier statement, "...I recommend doing business with him."   Thanks @spectra

• Thanks 1

Upgraded the Fishroom ventilation fan this weekend.  Been running a 273CFM Dayton squirrel cage fan mounted in the door for years.   It's been noisy, but on the opposite side of the house than bedrooms.

Recently I realized it's just not evacuating enough warm air in the evenings.   So Upgraded!  (No wire management yet, just mounted and tried out)   

This is a PWM controlled fan, so ramps up/down slowly to reduce noise.  Temp and Humidity controller included.  Can program based on Timer, Temp, or Humidity setpoints.

AC Infinity AIRLIFT T10, Shutter Exhaust Fan 10-inch with Temperature Humidity Controller 

Before:

image.png

IMG_8054.jpg

After:

image.png

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8058.jpg

image.png

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, kilmca said:

i added one of these to a basement window near the tank a few months ago and like how quiet and controllable it is.  It will move a ton of air on the higher settings.  max fan speed setting i use it on is 3 which seems to be more than adequate.    

So far, I'm happy with it - should have done it years ago.

Mad rush to home depot last night to buy flashing, calk, and trim boards.  Got it trimmed out and weather proof last night before the rains come today/tonight/tomorrow...

• 3 weeks later...

Next Phase has actualize - Light Support rack is designed, and has arrived.

Tank is going into the corner of the room.   Light support rack will be mounted to the wall behind the tank, screwed to the studs.  I chose to build out of 8020 (8020.net online) to enable adjustments in height or spacing in the future.

Tops Down

image.png

Side Profile:

image.png

8020 structure, Assembled

IMG_8226.jpg

IMG_8225.jpg

IMG_8223.jpg

IMG_8222.jpg

• Like 2

Really fun to watch this build progress.  You put so much effort into small details that make a wonderful difference in the end product.  I admire your skill and knowledge.  Looking forward to more!  

(My next project will be a new water (RODI) station similar to yours that involves auto water changes)

27 minutes ago, sroberts said:

Really fun to watch this build progress.  You put so much effort into small details that make a wonderful difference in the end product.  I admire your skill and knowledge.  Looking forward to more!  

(My next project will be a new water (RODI) station similar to yours that involves auto water changes)

Thanks.   My #1 learning from this adventure is...  Mixing Station and AWC!!!

I should have build the mixing station, AND the auto water change setup 10 years ago!   Life would have been soo much better.    BTW, I've had auto top off for years.   Not as fancy as today, but it worked.  (old setup, added a fixed amount of water every day at the same time.  Manually increased in warmer summer, decreased in cooler winter. - not precise, but functional)

My mixing station is almost a copy of @SuncrestReef setup.  Don't forget the detail to set it up high enough off the floor that a 5 gallon bucket can fit under the gravity fed spigots of each tank.   Super Easy to get an extra bucket of RO, extra bucket of Salt water.   Wouldn't have realized it without John's advice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

My mixing station is almost a copy of @SuncrestReef setup.  Don't forget the detail to set it up high enough off the floor that a 5 gallon bucket can fit under the gravity fed spigots of each tank.   Super Easy to get an extra bucket of RO, extra bucket of Salt water.   Wouldn't have realized it without John's advice. 

@sroberts Here's the link to my mixing station build, with a complete parts list:  

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-red-sea-reefer-xl-425-build.358990/post-6173194

(click each photo to expand the view)

Spent the last four days slowly disassembling the main display tank, fragging, tossing, and moving to the fish room frag tanks.  Only left and right islands remain.

Found a great technique to capture clowns... Move their favorite coral into a plastic tub, and slightly chase them with the lid.  When scared, they move into the coral... And lid snaps on.  An intact move to their new temporary home in the frag tanks.

IMG_8293.JPG

Snapshot of mid tank teardown, before frogspawns were removed.

IMG_8289.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Day 5 (last night) tear down continued.   Basically, all corals are out of the tank, fragged or scrapped.  Ready for last rock and fish removal tomorrow. 

FREE:  Small Fist size rock with basic Zoa's available.  It's not coming to the new setup.  PM me if you want it and willing to pick up tonight or tomorrow.

IMG_8313.jpg

Last picture, before tank gets emptied tonight.IMG_8312.jpg

13 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

What are you trying to catch with the gray PVC pipes?

thought is I may be able to chase the wrasse, a shrimp, the royal gramma, etc into one.  and then cap ends and pull them out.    Think of me chasing stuff around the tank tonight with the net.  trying to offer someplace for them to go/hide, that can make it easier for me to catch.

Tonight, Everything comes out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Clean Slate, Ready for new tank install to begin.  (okay, still need the carpet to be cleaned)

Tank plumbing goes through the wall, into the garage fishroom.  That means a few holes through the wall, and ~20 years of saltwater corrosion on the dry wall.   Honestly, dry wall held up impressively, only mild blistering - except where the holes were.  New tank, needs new hole locations.  Took the tank and stand out Friday night, final coat of paint is now dry (Sunday ~noon).   Let the Next Phase of install begin.

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8425.jpg

READY TO GO! (except carpet cleaning)

IMG_8427.jpg

• Like 2

Remember the light support rack, It's In!

I cut slots in the drywall so the 8020 horizontal support bars are mounted directly to the studs.  And everything went smoothly from there.

I cant bring the stand in, until the stain on the front left corner of the carpet is cleaned.  That's the visible spot that wont be under the new stand.   Thursday... Thursday.

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8450.jpg

62546238245__CC656589-AE15-4111-A76E-6C97943EDF14.JPG

• Like 2