StayPuff

Apex Yes or No  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you run a Apex

2. 2. Do you run a Apex Now?

• Yes i love it
    • Not what i thought tearing it down
    • Do not have one

Im curious about problems they have had- Sure Ive had an issue once and had to send it in but on a system like mine, I couldn't even wrap my head around not having one

I have 3 EB8s a DC4 and wish I had 2 more EB8s then there is the WXM the break out box, the feeder, water sensor that have saved my [language filter] countless times, the float/pressure switch that shuts of the skimmer so I don't over flow the 5 gallon collection bucket-

hahaha

Which reminds me I got a text tonight telling the skimmer is off and the bucket is full.

Im bias :rolleyes:

• Like 1

You need Internet

I have wireless internet no home phone got rid of home phone junk many years ago. Are these wireless or do I have to run wires to it?

The major bad thing I heard is when you do updates it is a pain and also there is not goo support for these

The support is one of the best things about Neptune, they also have a huge forum that you can find answers to most any issue.

No phone needed, wireless internet is all you need but you can hard wire it via Ethernet if you want. You will need a wireless Ethernet adapter but that's about it.

The support is one of the best things about Neptune, they also have a huge forum that you can find answers to most any issue.

No phone needed, wireless internet is all you need but you can hard wire it via Ethernet if you want. You will need a wireless Ethernet adapter but that's about it.

Ya I have that thanks

Controllers are worth their weight for sure! If I did it all over again I would have used Apex, I have all the RK goodies but still wish it was an apex lol! You are fortunate to live here where many of these guys are basically pros at setting them up so you won't have to worry about tech support.

I look back at how many plug timers my controllers have replaced, worth it from that standpoint alone let alone all the extra controls it offers. Won't reef without one now.

Controllers are worth their weight for sure! If I did it all over again I would have used Apex, I have all the RK goodies but still wish it was an apex lol! You are fortunate to live here where many of these guys are basically pros at setting them up so you won't have to worry about tech support.

I look back at how many plug timers my controllers have replaced, worth it from that standpoint alone let alone all the extra controls it offers. Won't reef without one now.

Ya that's what I'm thinking if I get one ill get one with the DOS and the DOS containers upgrade for the DOS as well.

Gold package with the DOS and DOS upgrade add on if I go in I go all in.  Still not sure it can do anything for me that I cant do myself .

How has this saved some ones butt? Other than it it makes it easier to have everything hooked up to this. You can dose with it. You can do water changes with it? I like the hands on I like dosing but other than all that what good can it do to save you

No definitely not necessary IMO. I run one, but in all honesty I don't use 99% of the features. After the Apex went blue screen and left me holding my $#%$ I decided relying on a computer to run my biological world may not be the best idea.

Ya I have heard this and also one guy that was dosing a error happened with the dosing and instead of one ounce it tossed in a nice 20 oz and nuked his whole tank and 10,000 worth of live stalk down the drain. These are the things that worry me.  

Also if you wont use it to 100% then its worthless paying 1000 bucks for it.

I think ill just stick to doing it my way to where I know what I put in and I know how much water goes in and out.

Also read one guy that did the water change he liked the idea of never having to do a water change come home to 70 gallons of water on his floor when the thing got a error and did not shut off.

The bucket over flooded.  I guess like anything if your going to have a computer run your system then you better hope to god you don't get no error

The main safety you can add is usually from a switch or probe. My issue prior to setting up the safety switch was my skimmer going ape and overfilling my skimmate, which then flooded into the floor. I was fortunate it was only about 5-10 gals when it happened but it was a PITA to clean up.

Fast forward to now: they do make stand alone skimmate lockers, but why buy those when all you need is a $5 float switch? I drilled a hole in the top of my skimmate container, put the float switch on, program controller to turn off skimmer when the float is switched. Never had a flood again. Other simple controls: high level sump, low level sump, leak detector, over temp control, pH control, salinity control, etc. Apex has more user controlled programming so make sure you verify things work before calling it good.

Plus they can notify you when any parameter is met, again, preventing issues. Webcams also connect and come in handy.

Long story short, buy one, helps us all sleep better at night :D

The apex has saved me from freezing my tank! I keep my frag tanks in a "fish shed" and when I do water changes I unplug the heaters to make sure they don't overheat when the water level drops. Well...this last Sunday when I did that, I forgot to plug back in the heater. 4 texts later from my Apex telling me the temperature was slowly falling, and I went outside to find that I forgot to plug them in.

That is a really small thing, but it was about 40 degrees outside and even though the shed has insulation it still dropped about a degree and a half before I noticed. The tank could have froze if the apex hadn't warned me. It's also let me know when a heater had failed...in the off position. Basically the same thing happens but the heaters were plugged in and said they were on(yellow light) but they were not producing heat.

I'm also at college so I see my tank about once a week or every two weeks so the apex is a must for me. Otherwise, I ran my system for months just manually doing everything. The apex just simplified stuff and gave me a huge amount of peace while I'm gone. :) anyways there are a couple times the apex saved my bacon in just the last 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at it like being lazy kind of thing which im getting in my old age :)

But when it boils down to it for me if you have 1 single things running everything if that 1 thing ever goes blank your [language filter] is grass.  I have 3 out lets 3 things running off other plugs and connections i will never have everything shut down at once the way i have it set up.

It sounds good but the one bad time something happens it over doses a major flood your talking 1000's of repairs and losses.  

I have a auto top off with a back up float now and i dose knowing what goes in my tank so i think im going to stick with that :)

Ya I have heard this and also one guy that was dosing a error happened with the dosing and instead of one ounce it tossed in a nice 20 oz and nuked his whole tank and 10,000 worth of live stalk down the drain. These are the things that worry me.

Also if you wont use it to 100% then its worthless paying 1000 bucks for it.

I think ill just stick to doing it my way to where I know what I put in and I know how much water goes in and out.

Also read one guy that did the water change he liked the idea of never having to do a water change come home to 70 gallons of water on his floor when the thing got a error and did not shut off.

The bucket over flooded. I guess like anything if your going to have a computer run your system then you better hope to god you don't get no error

Pretty sure the guy screwed up and blamed the apex-if it's coded right it works, if the user codes or creates a command it will do what that command is- no such thing as an error code (as far as I've ever known/hear do)-it's black and white but that's not the question for the thread

How about being able to shut of the heater if it over heats

Turn off the return pump if water is detected

Turn off skimmer when return pump is off ( since the water level in the sump raises and overflow the collection cup.

How about getting a text message or email for any condition you set

The options are limited by you're imagination.

Maybe turn your light in your house on and off when you want while you're on vacation or do it yourself from any devise.

They aren't for everyone but it has made things easier for me-granted like the guy who flooded his floor, I two have made mistakes with my APEX, I just own them LOL

And a back up to the APEX, a good reeling buddy

Edited by reefnjunkie