StayPuff

Apex Yes or No  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you run a Apex

2. 2. Do you run a Apex Now?

• Yes i love it
    • Not what i thought tearing it down
    • Do not have one

Pretty sure the guy screed up and blamed the apex-if it's coded right it works, if the user codes or creates a command it will do what that command is.

How about being able to shut of the hater if it over heats

Turn off the return pump if water is detected

Turn off skimmer when return pump is off ( since the water level in the sump raises and overflow the collection cup.

How about getting a text message or email for any condition you set

The options are limited by you're imagination.

Maybe turn your light in your house on and off when you want while you're on vacation or do it yourself from any devise.

They aren't for everyone but it has made things easier for me-granted like the guy who flooded his floor, I two have made mistakes with my APEX, I just own them LOL

^^^^ what this guy said!! Endless posibilities but u gotta be creative! Visit neptune forum for codes!

Pretty sure the guy screwed up and blamed the apex-if it's coded right it works, if the user codes or creates a command it will do what that command is- no such thing as an error code (as far as I've ever known/hear do)-it's black and white but that's not the question for the thread

How about being able to shut of the heater if it over heats

Turn off the return pump if water is detected

Turn off skimmer when return pump is off ( since the water level in the sump raises and overflow the collection cup.

How about getting a text message or email for any condition you set

The options are limited by you're imagination.

Maybe turn your light in your house on and off when you want while you're on vacation or do it yourself from any devise.

They aren't for everyone but it has made things easier for me-granted like the guy who flooded his floor, I two have made mistakes with my APEX, I just own them LOL

And a back up to the APEX, a good reeling buddy

100% agree

APEX isn't magic either, it requires logical thinking and planning.  And most importantly testing...  

For example, mount your auto water change pump high enough, that if for some reason the pump does not shut off, the pump goes high and dry preventing any further draining.  

Unplug your apex head unit, make sure all of your default states are right on your outlets (fallback statements).  The tank should run like normal without the apex in control or at least in the mode you would want it to if the apex was dead.

Like all automation you gotta build in some redundancy and test things.  

I suspect that people mess up the programming and then blame apex, just a guess though :)

• Like 1

If you got to do a back up to the apex then why even have it?  Error i think what he meant like someone mentioned is it went black and shut off. The other dosing thing had ahicup and kept dosing the tank.  I guess its about trusting one thing to run your tank for you and that scares me some :) Floods over dosing the thing shutting off going black not my cup of tea

EDIT now you say having a back up to that lol I can spend 1000 bucks on something better :)

Edited by StayPuff

There are lots of reasons to try one...these threads are usually a lovefest for apex with a few nay sayers mixed in to keep it real..maybe it's long term, or maybe it's just checking it off the bucket list, but every serious reefer should at least see if they like the platform for managing a reef. There are ways of backing up backups with backups...Even if you don't like it, at least you can say you tried it! lol.

Edited by Mandinga

there are 4 kinds of the apex tell me something when i look at it i always want the best but i dont want to over kill either would i even need the gold?

If i got it i would get the DOS and the DOS extension but could i go with the normal apex? Im looking at the 4 options and it seems like a ton of stuff maybe over kill

Gold

Apex Gold

• 12V Power Port
  • 2 AquaBus Ports
  • Control Port
  • Ethernet Port
  • Temperature Probe Port
  • I/O Switch Input
  • pH Probe Port
  • pH/ORP Probe Port
  • 4 Variable 0-10V channels for LED Dimming or Tunze Pumps
  • Maximum Number of Modules: 240

Apex with Standard probe

Apex

• 12V Power Port
  • 2 AquaBus Ports
  • Control Port
  • Ethernet Port
  • Temperature Probe Port
  • I/O Switch Input
  • pH Probe Port
  • pH/ORP Probe Port

Apex Jr

Apex Jr.

• 4 Independently controlled outlets
  • Temperature Probe Port
  • 2 AquaBus Ports
  • Ethernet Port
  • Maximum Number of Modules: 5

Apex with Lab probe

Apex

• 12V Power Port
  • 2 AquaBus Ports
  • Control Port
  • Ethernet Port
  • Temperature Probe Port
  • I/O Switch Input
  • pH Probe Port
  • pH/ORP Probe Port

So would the gold be overkill .  Looking at all this i dont have a clue as to what it all means.   If  i  ever did get one like i said i would get the DOS and would use that with the Apex but as far as not being over kill what would do it.

Or would it be best to have it all with the gold.

Still no? Come on guys you have all this so explain to me lol im leaning back to the forget it on getting this lol i dont know which one would be more suitable

I want the DOS like i said and the DOS upgrade with the 2 canisters for dosing it comes seperate add on to the DOS

But as far as the whole system i dont know which one i would need for my 100 gallon there are 3 or 4 types i posted above

I have the middle one. I have a 120 gallon total water volume frag tank that I keep it on and it's plenty. The difference with Gold is that you get the Ph probe, Temp prob, and the stuff for monitoring Salinity and ORP. The middle one just comes with ph and Temp. The apex jr comes with the salinity and pH but only has four plug ins(the other two have 8).

Those are the only real differences. The rest of the stuff is all standard and you'll get it with any of the apex set ups. It's fancy words for the basic stuff to run an apex. :) you can run DOS on any of them. hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the middle one. I have a 120 gallon total water volume frag tank that I keep it on and it's plenty. The difference with Gold is that you get the Ph probe, Temp prob, and the stuff for monitoring Salinity and ORP. The middle one just comes with ph and Temp. The apex jr comes with the salinity and pH but only has four plug ins(the other two have 8).

Those are the only real differences. The rest of the stuff is all standard and you'll get it with any of the apex set ups. It's fancy words for the basic stuff to run an apex. :) you can run DOS on any of them. hope that helps.

Thanks this is what I was wondering I'm drawing blank what is ORP?

I don't care about salinity  I like my digital reader so don't care about that stuff. 

One thing I do like is the DOS is for water changes just put a bucket down let it drain into and have it do water changes for me. Then again my water changes take me 15 mins to do every 2 weeks so that works ok.. I know its good for dosing but I'm leaning away from that now I like dosing myself so easy and lets me interact and check on things.

BTW Does anyone actually have the DOS for this system??  The more i think about it the major complaints i hear is how dang loud it is.  If this is the case its not something i would be real happy about.

Im getting away from wanting to dose but use for water changes and i hear these things are loud ..

Just trying to get a judge and other peoples ideas on that if you have one

Also what all do you all have your apex running id like to know that.  Do you have the gold the middle the jr? Tell me what you run and what you have im curious :)

Im leaning away now from the DOS because if i use it to change the water i hear its loud and not big fan of that but my water changes take less than 15 mins as i mentioned so dont much care about that .

Also what all do you all have your apex running id like to know that.  Do you have the gold the middle the jr? Tell me what you run and what you have im curious :)

Im leaning away now from the DOS because if i use it to change the water i hear its loud and not big fan of that but my water changes take less than 15 mins as i mentioned so dont much care about that .

Thanks this is what I was wondering I'm drawing blank what is ORP?

I don't care about salinity I like my digital reader so don't care about that stuff.

One thing I do like is the DOS is for water changes just put a bucket down let it drain into and have it do water changes for me. Then again my water changes take me 15 mins to do every 2 weeks so that works ok.. I know its good for dosing but I'm leaning away from that now I like dosing myself so easy and lets me interact and check on things.

ORP is a super fancy thing ha. It's way over my head in the world of reefing but I believe that it measures dissolved organics in the water. Like if a fish died, your ORP would start to go up as fish decomposes. It's just another thing to monitor haha.

The DOS unit is a little spend for dosing in my opinion. If you have the time to hand dose then that would be he best route because you know exactly what's going on in the tank. I use these super cheep dosing pumps I bought off a fellow reefer on here. I run them through the apex with zero fear. The apex doses every half hour so it's nice and steady for my SPS all day long. I don't worry about over doing because if my calcium going up to much not to much happens, it just goes high and can irritate coral. For example the calcium in my dads tank naturally sits at 600 ppm(been established 10 years) and everything is super happy and healthy. I also don't worry to much about my alk because I dose soda ash which causes the pH to increase. So if for some reason it got stuck on, my pH would climb up and my back up safety feature would cut power off at 8.45 pH. Ive got safety feature on top of safety feature. Along with the apex texting me when the pH increases.

Anyways long story short, dosing is super easy with the apex. I would recommend the middle unit because if you get the jr you will be wanting to upgrade soon and for example, the 8 bars are $150.

ORP is a super fancy thing ha. It's way over my head in the world of reefing but I believe that it measures dissolved organics in the water. Like if a fish died, your ORP would start to go up as fish decomposes. It's just another thing to monitor haha.

The DOS unit is a little spend for dosing in my opinion. If you have the time to hand dose then that would be he best route because you know exactly what's going on in the tank. I use these super cheep dosing pumps I bought off a fellow reefer on here. I run them through the apex with zero fear. The apex doses every half hour so it's nice and steady for my SPS all day long. I don't worry about over doing because if my calcium going up to much not to much happens, it just goes high and can irritate coral. For example the calcium in my dads tank naturally sits at 600 ppm(been established 10 years) and everything is super happy and healthy. I also don't worry to much about my alk because I dose soda ash which causes the pH to increase. So if for some reason it got stuck on, my pH would climb up and my back up safety feature would cut power off at 8.45 pH. Ive got safety feature on top of safety feature. Along with the apex texting me when the pH increases.

Anyways long story short, dosing is super easy with the apex. I would recommend the middle unit because if you get the jr you will be wanting to upgrade soon and for example, the 8 bars are $150.

Well not sure I need the fancy one when I can go the middle one and save 200 bucks I knew ORP wasn't something I have heard before :)

what dosing pumps do you use and run through the apex? 

My calcium stays at 540 and I don't dose no matter what it stays there.  I check it with 2 checkers and its correct. But my tank is loving it and things are growing amazing inside there

A lot of salts out there will keep your Calcium at a nice level.

If you can't justify the cost but want to still monitor your parameters, there are monitors out there. They just don't control anything. Such as this guy I just saw on Craigslist. :)

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/5416747340.html

Ya no :)

I'm interested in Apex but I do massive research before I buy anything out there..

I'm to the point now I'm just wanting to know what unit people have here and what all you hook up to it?

What does this do for you. 

Do I have to only use the DOS they sell for the apex or are there other dosing systems out there that I can run that are cheaper with the apex?

Or another type of motor that is more quiet that I can use for water changes I like the DOS for water changes but I do not enjoy how loud it is and every I have read says its loud :)

Well not sure I need the fancy one when I can go the middle one and save 200 bucks I knew ORP wasn't something I have heard before :)

what dosing pumps do you use and run through the apex?

My calcium stays at 540 and I don't dose no matter what it stays there. I check it with 2 checkers and its correct. But my tank is loving it and things are growing amazing inside there

A lot of salts out there will keep your Calcium at a nice level.

i use the old drews doser. They were a super cheap buy from a friend so I got them:) when they die on me I will probably upgrade the the BRS 1.1 mL dozers. Been thinking of even using there 50mL doser for auto water changes.

Having high calcium is not a bad thing in my opinion. The one to worry about is alk. If that gets to high bad things happen.

Your levels are good right now just doing water changes wait until stuff starts growing and growing and you can't keep up trust me it will happen especially with sps also you don't have to use the orp port for orp you can use it for a second ph probe if you run a calcium reactor.

Edited by Saltwater newbie

i use the old drews doser. They were a super cheap buy from a friend so I got them:) when they die on me I will probably upgrade the the BRS 1.1 mL dozers. Been thinking of even using there 50mL doser for auto water changes.

Having high calcium is not a bad thing in my opinion. The one to worry about is alk. If that gets to high bad things happen.

Ya my alk I dose 2 oz a day and calc like I said I check it like twice a day like wow to make sure I'm seeing it right and the tank is live as can be and yep it stays right there. Alk I keep at 9.5 and tank loves it at that.

I wonder does the Bubble Magus dosing pump run with this apex? I have heard they are silent better than the DOS but don't know if it would run with the apex  Or the T11 Dosing Pump System - Bubble Magus if you get the slave you can go 11 channels on this one I also hear its quiet  would these run on the apex?

would the BRS 1.1 Run on the apex? 

I'm just leaning away from them dang DOS because of how loud they are