Salt mix?

I had a huge disaster last night and was forced to mix up a 25 gallon batch to dilute laundry detergent! Basically had to mix and poor strait into the tank with coral pro. Not to mention using my tap water that is well water. (TDS reading of 58 right out of the well head)

Went to bed thinking everything would be dead by morning. To my surprise everything is still alive.

Holy smokes?!!! Did you mix laundry detergent instead of salt? Are your corals April fresh now? Glad all is well so far.

By the way thanks to this thread I have decided to give the Red Sea coral pro a try. I have an Amazon prime account so I ordered it there but I bet we can get one of the lfs to order it if there is enough interest and get a discount on a group buy. ???? I hear group buys because they are a win for reefers and the fish stores.

Wow, my first Kent mishap. Check out the Alk on this batch 5.6 dkh

d639b7819d77d3e1202f2ccfccccb08a.jpg

Other params

SG - 1.024

Calcium (SF) - 428

Mag - 1110

Very surprised. I think this thread reminded me to double check fresh mixed salt, so thanks for starting this thread.

I'm using Instant Ocean. It's cheaper and I stocked up few years ago..still have several buckets. :)

Fresh mix with RO water at 35ppt:

Ca 300ppm

ALK 10dkh

Mg 1150ppm

I always boost Ca to 450 and Mg to 1350 when doing water changes. I haven't done water change for last 4 months...only top off 1 gal saltwater when my skimmate is full.

In case anyone uses IO... Found this deal and rebate:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2504850

Thanks for the lead!! I just purchased three containers. I had to have them sent to two different stores though, but whatever, I pass them on my way to work. I got two regular Instant Ocean 160s and one Reef Crystals IO 160. Regular were $23.80 and RC were $29.25. Quite the steal for sure. After using the rebate, I'll get another $10 back. I think it's an error, but who knows?

Wow, my first Kent mishap. Check out the Alk on this batch 5.6 dkhd639b7819d77d3e1202f2ccfccccb08a.jpg

Other params

SG - 1.024

Calcium (SF) - 428

Mag - 1110

Very surprised. I think this thread reminded me to double check fresh mixed salt, so thanks for starting this thread.

my last batch I made was 5.6 also I was shocked. I mixed my bucket up and the next batch was better.

Hey that's right, you warned me too JR.  Quite a few people are reporting this, but when you personally know someone it hits home.

This particular batch I had mixed up over 200 gallons and had 130 gallons remaining before detecting it.

Used the reef chemistry calculator.  5 tsps of baking soda, and 7 cups of tech m and it should be good to go.  Commence water change!

• 3 weeks later...

It was so ironic that I had a good amount of carbon on hand that night. I ran that for a week crammed in my first sump baffle and didn't loose a single fish,coral or clean up crew to soap. But, 1/2 dozen or so bristle worms just crawled out on the sand bed and just lay there until I vacuumed them away. Funny though they were still alive.

Yes I bought 1 new koralia 1150 and my second return pump for now. How I would love some Ecotech marines, I just can't justify them right now.

• Like 1

I have used many brands of salt mix over the years, such as Rila, Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, Marine Environment, Coralife, Crystal Sea, and a few others, and currently using Kent. I used instant Ocean since the early 1970's, and continued using it when I started my reef tank in 1986, and continued with it a few years after that, until reef salt formulas became available. Until then, we mainly used kalkwasser, either commercial Calcium Hydroxide, or pickling lime, which is basically the same thing as the type sold in the aquarium trade... though much cheaper to buy at the time. There were not any reef salts available then. Although I have heard of others having some problems with batches of Instant Ocean, I have never had any with I.O., and I have set up hundreds of tanks. I am pleased with the results of Kent, but I would like to try Tropic Marin brand (recommended by Scott Fellman) sometime.