Contest: Guess what this is

SantaMonica

Time for a neat contest: The person who can guess what new aquarium product this is (and even better, what it does) wins the first one Serial Number 0001

Actually the first one will be a rough DIY version, to get feedback from people running it in different systems, but it still should work great!

To enter, post here and say what the thing is or does.

The most accurate and complete guess will be picked soon. 

Hope you win!

thing contest.JPG

Edited by SantaMonica

28 minutes ago, xxkenny90xx said:

I'll try the obvious guess, is it an algae scrubber for nutrient export?? 

Well that would have been my guess too. Now I don’t know what to guess lol.

Edit: I’ve got to guess it’s an algae scrubber that is completely enclosed, with particularly high surface area to make it more efficient. Of course, it is used to remove nitrates, phosphate, and some level of organics in the water. I see that it appears to have some sort of removable tray or the like at the bottom? Curving inwards to make it easier to pinch and pull out? Maybe to remove algae? It could be a light too but I feel it’s more likely a sort of tray you can pull out, do some work on, and put back in. Whatever it is, it seems like it slides all the way back (and makes up that surface) so I wonder if that bottom is actually the top of the product? That’s my guess, if that even counts.

Edited by LadAShark

2 hours ago, SantaMonica said:

Entered!

Algae however does not remove organics; it adds organics such as vitamin c, amino's, glucose, and of course pods.

It can, on the contrary, remove certain organics as the algae can utilize them for growth. That is part of why some people have serious algae growth despite low NO3 and PO4. Still, primarily a consumer of NO3 and PO4, but they still do need carbon in various forms for growth. For example, thiamine is commonly taken in by many forms of algae, but algae can also sequester various carbon compounds that are similar enough to metabolize and synthesize the vitamins another metabolites they need.

Edited by LadAShark

15 minutes ago, SantaMonica said:

Inorganic carbon, yes, mostly from the alk. Not organic carbon, on a meta level anyway. Of course I'm not talking about mixo's like dinos.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1539151/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5706373/

Not only are there a significant number of auxotrophs (autotrophs with a mutation that forces them to acquire a particular nutrient, hence not truly autotrophs), there is also a common misconception that even true autotrophs cannot or do not sequester organic carbon. The classification is that they do not need an organic carbon source like heterotrophs do, not they cannot make use of organic carbon sources. You are confusing autotrophs with obligate autotrophs, which many algae species are not.

It would be fair to say that many species of organisms will not refuse a free meal that lands at their footsteps, and there is an inherent advantage to being able to be opportunistic.

Edited by LadAShark

• 2 months later...