Which fish have the best personalities?

xxkenny90xx

So we're getting ready to part with our porcupine puffer who has an awesome personality and I'd like some ideas from your experiences with more reef safe fish. Feel free to let us know about all of your fish you've had with great personalities but we are mostly looking to replace him with something reef safe, hopefully under $200, and good in a 125g tank. Thanks! 

On 4/26/2019 at 10:57 AM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

long horn cowfish..similar to puffer personality.  tail spot blenny.. because he just looks funny, hawkfish.. because he perches on rocks and then dashes for food. 

Would you recommend your triggerfish as reef safe? Triggerfish have some of the best personality/style, but are also able to disembowel another fish of comparable...... kind of a toss up. Perhaps if you have enough tangs and larger fish it will keep it in check?

2 hours ago, Snappy said:

Would you recommend your triggerfish as reef safe? Triggerfish have some of the best personality/style, but are also able to disembowel another fish of comparable...... kind of a toss up. Perhaps if you have enough tangs and larger fish it will keep it in check?

The blue jaw triggers I have had have all been great personalities and very docile towards other fish FWIW. 

My blue jaws kept dying on me :( two crushed themselves. I think they were too docile for my tank. My Niger trigger is pretty chill really.

SOMEONE is picking at my acans though. If I could only find the time to just sit and watch the tank for hours. Either the trigger or "his majesty". Probably the latter

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You should consider a Goby and Pistol Shrimp pair!! I had a pair for a couple years and they were by far my favorite [emoji173] I had a Yellow Watchman Goby and his Tiger Pistol Shrimp friend, they spent most of their time hanging out in their caves they made, some very intricate! The Pistol Shrimp would dig the holes and the Watchman Goby would guard and keep all the other fish away (not aggressively, mostly just funny) the Goby was a character. He reminded me of a grouchy old man "Get off my lawn!!" The Pistol Shrimp would literally pick up and relocate any snails or hermit crabs that got too close and the Goby would pick them up in his mouth and gently "spit" them out away from their lair lol. The Goby was just adorable and the Shrimp was stunning visually and actually pretty large. Your rockwork needs to be sturdy though since they prefer to dig around the rocks and you can't mind the small mounds of sand lol, and if you like to put frags in the sand the Pistol Shrimp will gladly move them where he thinks they should go or they might get buried [emoji12]... Other than that I loved those guys!! It was a tough decision to re-home them but I found a couple that fell in love with them and still have them to this day.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

My blue jaws kept dying on me 😞 two crushed themselves. I think they were too docile for my tank. My Niger trigger is pretty chill really.

SOMEONE is picking at my acans though. If I could only find the time to just sit and watch the tank for hours. Either the trigger or "his majesty". Probably the latter

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I could take those off your hands for you so you don't have to worry 🤗

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:46 PM, jonas503 said:

blue spotted jaw fish to me have a awesome personality. 

On 4/24/2019 at 6:01 PM, Deuce00 said:

Right now my 2 favorite reef safe fishes I’ve had recently are a black cap jawfish and my midas blenny. Dustin 

Funny I was going to say blue spotted jawfish and Midas Blenny.  I never had success with getting blue spots to survive. I read they tend to like colder water than a typical reef tank.

puffers are also fun like little dogs . Little dogs that will eat your high end sps and ornamental shrimp like they are jerky treats that is...:puffer:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I concur on the watchman goby pistil shrimp. Fun to watch. Very much the “GET OFF MY LAWN” personality. They will move frags around it the substrate nearby, so that can be an obstacle. They have buried many of my corals many of times. 

• Like 2