Group buy or growout contest?

Emerald525

Would you prefer a group buy or growout contest?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer group buy or zoa growout contest

• A: Zoa growout contest
    • B Group buy

So the April meeting will be at Cuttlefish and Coral and Jeff would like to do something special. We can either get a zoa colony for another growout contest and you pick up your frags that day or we could do a group buy. Some of the buy in goes to prizes for the person who grows the most zoas.

A group buy is where a group of people go all in on a big premium colony or corals and we get a group discount. We usually then draw numbers for who gets first pick. Typically we keep one frag to raffle off to TFT) (we have done chalices, acros, maxi minis, in the past)

Which would you prefer to do and I will work on the details later?

• Like 3

I voted growout, here is my semi - logic.  We all have to buy in anyways for a growout.  For just a little more $$ it can be a growout comp.  Those who don't want to do the growout can choose not to participate.  Logical !!??  :D

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, TheClark said:

I voted growout, here is my semi - logic.  We all have to buy in anyways for a growout.  For just a little more $$ it can be a growout comp.  Those who don't want to do the growout can choose not to participate.  Logical !!??  :D

Ha ha your logic holds true but here’s some thoughts about that:

1. Usually for a growout it’s a cheaper colony and nothing fancy 

2 . Some people don’t like zoas. I know shocking right ?😀

Oh and I forgot to add if group buy was the winner than I would post up a vote for what the majority wanted for a group buy (sps, zoas, other?) Of course that would depend on what Jeff has access to this time of year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

I'm in for whichever!
But will vote for 'group buy'.
Let's get somethin' fancy!
I heard someone mention, Home Wrecker acro colony emoji23.pngemoji12.png

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coronas at Holly's emoji481.png

Geez Dodge you have expensive tastes! I can’t imagine what that would cost!!😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

Ahahaha, just kidding! emoji39.png
Could you imagine, tho?
It would be like, at least, $300 per person buy in! Crazy...

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coronas at Holly's emoji481.png

We could get  < 1/4 nubs I’d be ok with that 👍😂

Edited by 503reefland
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well it appears there is an overwhelming preference for a group buy! :YayWave:Heck I think we got more votes on this than some of the officer elections!:shock: I see where your priorities are!:joking:

In the interest of time I'm going to put up a poll for a group buy options here:

Those who wanted a grow out! No worries I'm sure we will get another one of those going as well soon too!

:readthis: 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

What about a group buy where everyone buys a premium coral colony instead of one colony being fragged up? :)

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

So a baller big tank group buy?🤔  Can I start small and see how that goes first ? But I like the way you think!😀

Hmmm maybe down the road a group buy for leds or aquarium controllers... 🤔 Do you know anyone?😉

• Like 1

Its too late for the comment to be relevant for this round.

But I have long wanted to do a group buy of wild/maricultured Acro colonies from a wholesaler.

For example, consider LivestockUSA as a starting point.

http://www.livestockusa.org/ACROPORA.html#acroinfo2

We could buy a box of 10-20 colonies for ~$800-$1400, then frag each colony. If we could get 10 people interested, we'd each end up paying ~$80-140 for a set of 10-20 assorted Acropora frags. Personally, I have zero interest in ever spending $80 on a single booger sized frag but would be really happy paying that for 10-20 frags. 

I also note that there are other wholesalers including a local one and perhaps they'd be interested in helping us out.

Would anyone be interested in that kind of group buy? 10-20 frags for ~$80?

8 minutes ago, EMeyer said:

But I have long wanted to do a group buy of wild/maricultured Acro colonies from a wholesaler.

We could buy a box of 10-20 colonies for ~$800-$1400, then frag each colony. If we could get 10 people interested, we'd each end up paying ~$80-140 for a set of 10-20 assorted Acropora frags. Personally, I have zero interest in ever spending $80 on a single booger sized frag but would be really happy paying that for 10-20 frags. 

I also note that there are other wholesalers including a local one and perhaps they'd be interested in helping us out.

I would think you would have a lot of interest in this. Do you have the space to hold that many colonies and dip them and then frag them and hold that many frags while they healed?

I have an 8x2 tank (part of my research tanks at work) that I could use for the purpose. I wouldnt try to grow the frags out in the system long term (mix of LED and MH, but PAR is only ~200ish) but wouldnt hesitate to hold colonies and frags for a few weeks to a couple months. 

Itd take a team but I could contribute my share of the cash, space to hold corals, and help with fragging. I'd want a small team to run it, not just me, so that any important decisions are agreed on by the group and not just my responsibility. 

I would love to see something like that happen, though! Opening big bags coral colonies from wholesalers is like Christmas morning for me but I get to do it rarely for research and never in the hobby. This would be such a chance..

As an example of the kind of decisions that should be agreed on by the group: dipping all frags and or colonies initially or making that the responsibility of the buyer in their own system. I favor the latter since it would leave a wider range of options (i.e. if its already been dipped in Bayer the buyer doesnt have the option of *not* dipping in Bayer) [Bayer is purely an example here], but would be happy to go with the group consensus.

These arent research corals so I don't object to dipping, just point that out as a decision the group would need to agree on.

4 minutes ago, EMeyer said:

I have an 8x2 tank (part of my research tanks at work) that I could use for the purpose. I wouldnt try to grow the frags out in the system long term (mix of LED and MH, but PAR is only ~200ish) but wouldnt hesitate to hold colonies and frags for a few weeks to a couple months. 

Itd take a team but I could contribute my share of the cash, space to hold corals, and help with fragging. I'd want a small team to run it, not just me, so that any important decisions are agreed on by the group and not just my responsibility. 

I would love to see something like that happen, though! Opening big bags coral colonies from wholesalers is like Christmas morning for me but I get to do it rarely for research and never in the hobby. This would be such a chance..

This could be a lot of fun. We have done this on a small level with splitting up a colony and one person dipped the colony and held it just to let it acclimate before fragging it and then holding the pieces for a few weeks. There is risk involved for sure of losing some of the corals but I think most people understand that. We have done zoa group buys where we had designated growers and we usually lose some. That’s the nature of high end frags. They are expensive because they are fragile. In the end everyone got their money’s worth. 

57 minutes ago, EMeyer said:

I think this would be cool and would be up for it - especially if you had the space to house the colonies and frags for a while (as indicated in your other post).  Would be happy to help with fragging, dipping etc. depending on what participants wanted to do.  Looks like you might be a little off the beaten path so could complicate things re distribution.  If we could work out the details though it sounds like a fun project.

• Like 1

Totally unrelated but since we are on the subject.. you know what would be super cool.. a club owned coral QT system.

I have the pieces for one but have not set it up yet.. still wondering how i should go about maintaining cal and alk. But i have thought many times.. i would gladly pay $20-$30 a month to have a place to QT corals.

For people that purchase any amount of corals or have a large tank it would be more than worth it.

just a thought. There is day care for cats, might as well have coral day care

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think this would be cool and would be up for it - especially if you had the space to house the colonies and frags for a while (as indicated in your other post).  Would be happy to help with fragging, dipping etc. depending on what participants wanted to do.  Looks like you might be a little off the beaten path so could complicate things re distribution.  If we could work out the details though it sounds like a fun project.

I am completely in!! Where do I sign up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk