Incomplete 400g Reef

kilmca

Its like looking in a mirror! LOL

Very nice tank, I hope mine gets some color like yours soon, but you have a couple of months lead on me.

Its funny to see that we are using similar equipment, I guess we both found what works best for this size of tank.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we can help each other grow with new ideas as the years go by.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great!

I would love to check it out sometime if we can get together, if that's OK.

Mike, come on up! Let me know when your up this way and I'll try and be home. Sundays I'm usually at home all day. I will also be home on some Fridays and Mondays because we were cut to 80% time and pay at work. That means three day weekends! At least i still have a job!

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm actually able to just sit and relax in front of it rather than work on it. I still have work to do not sure if i'll ever be done. I shouldn't say work on it, i enjoy it too much to call it work.

My next plan is to swap out (3) of the 250 watt MH and replace them with (2) 400 watt MH that I got from Bob. Only 50 watts difference but i'm thinking the 400 watt MH will cover more of the 32" width of the tank. Not sure if it's the best idea since i really don't get much algae growth on the front panel but I'm interested to at least try it and see how the corals react. I plan on going with Radium bulbs. Been told by many that those are some of the best.

• 2 weeks later...

New Frag tank

I found a 75 gallon tank on craigslist. Crazy to think someone scratched a glass tank this bad but it was the right price. It came with some other equipment like a stand, overflow, sump, 260 watt PC light, pumps and heaters. rather than having the tank separate from the main display i just plumbed it to the display's sump and now i don't have to worry about adding top off water or testing two tanks. The lights on the frag tank are only temporary, they are 400 watt MH and will be going on the display.

3394014012_d6594392e3_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

I picked up a large Efflo from Snorkelwasp(Mike) on Friday. It's a great piece and i'm really happy I made the drive(to Corvallis) to go get it. I'm not sure if this will be it's final placement but that's where it ended up for now.

3585911453_cf865e0eaf.jpg

3586718878_3412cfa62f.jpg

3585911943_e17f0cf7a6.jpg

I was suprised no one commented on the eggcrate contraption in the third pic. Hopefully it's going to be a fish trap. I'm planning on catching the Eibli Angel because it took a liking to the clams that I had in the tank. I still have them but they are in the frag tank. It always picked on acans and some other corals but it didn't bother me that much till it started picking on the clams.

The fish trap has been in there a week so all of the fish are used to it. I plan on using a clam for bait. If i find the Potters or Flame are picking on stuff too they'll also have to go. It will be a sad to see them go but i'm getting into corals more.

Looks like you have some time on your hands! (laugh)(laugh)

Now that I've mocked you, let me know if this works 'cause I have a pair of Clarkii clowns that are going to get the boot soon, and that thing looks like it might do the trick. (threaten)

Look what I caught today. Only took about 20 minutes. The Angel couldn't resist the algae. Anyone looking for a really nice Eibli Angel?

3601810655_710137cfa5.jpg

Got Him!! sweet how many more to go?

I'm leaving the Flame and Potters in the tank, they seem to be fine with the corals. I'll be testing them with the corals and clams that I had to move to the frag tank. If I see either of them nipping they will be going too.

The Potters won't be hard to catch, it was swimming in and out of the trap picking at algae. If I have to catch the Flame it's going to be tuff cause I never saw it go anywhere near the trap.

• 2 months later...
So Calvin,

Tell me about your new water movement devices. ;)

I assume you saw a post on RC where i'm selling some Tunze pumps.

I'm not very good about updating my build thread but this is about the newest thing going on with my tank. I've been messing around with some different powerhead configurations. So what i've been doing is replacing some older Tunze pumps with some newer ones. I originally had (2) 6200 Streams + (2) 6000 Streams pumps in my tank but I didn't like how much space they took up plus I was limited on where I could put them. I already had (2) 6055 Nanostreams and i started playing with these in the tank. The 6055 Nanostreams with the magnet mount allow me to orient the pumps in a variety of ways. So i found (4) more 6055's on RC and I'm now currently running (6) 6055 pumps.

I went with (6) of the 6055 because they only put out a max of 1,500 gph each, where the 6200's put out a max of 5,200 gph each. The 6000 put out a max of 1,800 gph each so there wasn't much of a difference between them and the newer pumps. So far i'm happy with the flow and we'll see how the corals react. Below are some pics of a 6200 and a 6055 if you aren't familiar with Tunze powerheads. There is a pretty big size difference between the two pumps.

I'll try and get some pictures of the tank showing locations of pumps to show what i mean.

6200%20turbel.jpg

tunze_nanostream_L.gif

Yes, I saw the post on RC.

I really like the 6055's! Very versatile and much less obtrusive than the 6100's I used to run.

You can also modify them for more flow. You basically trim down the inside shroud and it flows about 20% more.

Are you running them on a controller?