Incomplete 400g Reef

kilmca

Finally got the 400 gallon reef setup and all livestock transferred into the tank. Tank is not completly full of water, probably around 325 gallons. I don't have plumbing done yet so that is why it's not full. I should get the plumbing done this week or coming weekend. Still a lot of work to do to finish it but I think I have the most stressful part out of the way for the livestock and myself.

Equipment Setup:

400 Gallon tank by Envision - dimensions are 120" long x 32" wide x 24" tall.

200 TruVu sump/refugium (used to be the display tank - not running yet)

Reeflo Orca 250 Protein Skimmer (not running yet)

(2) 1000 watt Titanium Heaters

Dart Return pump (not running yet)

(2) Tunze 6200 +

(2) Tunze 6100 + (not running yet)

(2) Tunze 6055 with 7095 multicontroller

(5) 250 watt PFO mini HQI pendants with Icepcap Ballasts

660 watts of 10,000k and Actinic VHO's on PFO Ballast (not running yet)

All the livestock made it from the original tank, which includes:

Potter's Angel

Flame Angel (added during transition)

Clown Tang

Blue Tang

Saiflin Tang

(2) Ocellaris Clowns

(2) Lyretail Anthias

Sixline Wrasse

Red Spotted Blenny

Dragon Goby

(2) Green Clown Gobies made it but were put in another tank. I'm afraid if I start getting more SPS corals they will bother them and cause them to die.

I have some plans for some more fish, maybe some Sunburst Anthias and others but no more large fish.

Thanks to Scott, Bryan and Dennis for helping move the tank in. Thanks to Shannon and David for lending me the rubbermaid troughs for holding livestock during transition and thanks to James at Envision for making an awesome tank. I'll attach some pictures to this post but you can see more at the following site, http://www.flickr.com/photos/16991411@N05/

post-1653-141867772052_thumb.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

I do have a story of one fish that almost didn't make it. I have a pair of Neon Gobies that were in the previous tank. They were transfered into one of the holding tanks fine. When they were to be transfered into the new display tank I wasn't able to find one so I just asssumed it made it into the display tank by staying in a piece of live rock - this how they were both transfered into the holding tank. The one made it in a piece of live rock but not in one that made it into the display tank. I had around 50 lbs of live rock rubble that will be going into the refugium but I was only keeping it in saltwater that was room temperature, probably around 65 to 70 degrees. Well the Neon Goby was in the water with the live rock rubble and when I found it I just assumed it was dead but when I went to remove the fish from the container it was still kicking. I caught the fish and slowly acclimated it to the display tank water and the two Neon Gobies are now back together. It's amazing that the fish was in cold non aerated water from Sunday to Wednesday. I guess they are tuff little fish!

See picture for setup of holding tanks.

post-1653-141867740279_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is full!

Well the tank is full of water and the return plumbing is done. Still have to setup the skimmer and make other adjustments.

One issue i'm dealing with is that I have two overflows and each overflow has two 1.5" diameter dursos. Here is the problem, only two of the 4 durso's are working. I have the dart pump turned down a little because I need to get a Y locline on each return rather than just a single on each return. Some of the corals wouldn't be able to handle the flow if i let the dart run at 100%. I plan on using the dart at 100% eventually but I need to disperse the flow some more.

I even tested running the dart at 100% and still the two 1.5" diameter durso's can handle the flow. Does anyone know what a 1.5" durso is rated for? I read somewhere that a 1" durso can handle 2500 gph, if that's true than I guess I only need two 1.5" durso's to keep up with the dart.

Any advice would be helpful.

Here are some pictures and go here if you want to see more pictures.

Left Side Shot

2908166968_32a901a6b6_b.jpg

Right Side Shot

2908167800_0f2fee741f_b.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

frag tank

I was able to see this system in person and its amazing. You should put in a pic of that frag tank you had right behind the display when I was there. The one you got from work.

I actually took that tank down and replaced it with a 58 gallon oceanic with built in overflow that i found on craigslist. The frag tank was nice but it evaporated so much water because it was so much surface area and it was difficult to cover. It was about 4' long x 2.5' wide x 10" tall so it took up more space than the new tank.

3934917059_be8f014846_b.jpg

I haven't been very good at keeping up with posts and updates. The tank is doing well. I added a Melanurus wrasse about a month ago and some coral frags. I also added three Sunburst anthias at the same as the wrasse but only one made it and it's doing great. It's eating like a pig but still very shy. I added 3 different color millipora frags, two different colors of zoos and a hammer.

I got the skimmer setup about a month ago and that things is a great skimmer. I'm really happy with it's performance so far. Just this past week i setup the calcium reactor. Finish carpentry isn't complete around the tank but hopefully next sunday it will be mostly complete. That's the plan anyways.

3030926387_062eae34b1_b.jpg

3030925317_9a3a627d65_b.jpg

3006358830_a17f0ff0af_b.jpg

3030933929_e6f7de741d_b.jpg

3031763182_df1112967d_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

Updated Pics

Some more progress. Most of the trim work and cabinet doors were installed on Sunday before the meeting so that is why I never posted pics before. Cushions for the seats on either side still to be completed. Sanding and painting too. I've attached a few of the better pictures. More pics can be seen at the following link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16991411@N05/

3216440280_6d322c454c_b.jpg

3216439456_4ca2b21758_b.jpg

3215579449_bb17f61d34_b.jpg

3216436256_b7975b43f6_b.jpg

• 1 month later...