Vibrant for bubble algae

SuncrestReef

I'm on the 5th week of dosing Vibrant twice weekly for a severe bubble algae infestation. In the first couple of weeks it took out the chaeto in my refugium, which I expected, but no noticeable impact on the bubble algae. But starting around week 4, I started noticing the bubble algae going from green to clear, and thinning out as many bubbles started detaching from the rocks and ending up in my filters. Each day this week, more and more have turned clear and started falling apart. It appears to finally be working.

In this photo, it's difficult to see, but about 75% of the bubbles have turned clear:

IMG_1300.jpg
  • Like 1

Oh wow! Yea that stuff is power, I used it when I thought  I had dinos.it was a golden type algae I still don't know. But anyways it worked and everything was gone. But after a few days of looking sparkling clear and the bottle ran out I started getting when I think was actually dinos lol. Well I've turned lights down, replace filter socks and did a black out period. Im still battling it now but its not as bad now. Hopefully you don't run into the problems I did when you finish the bottle. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

Didn’t u just restart ur tank a few months ago. I’m curious where all the bubble algae came from. 

Yes, I did start over, but I salvaged the surviving corals from my original tank, and since several were encrusted on a large rock, I brought that rock with the corals into the newly built tank.  But of course it had some bubble algae and it quickly spread to the freshly cleaned rocks.

41 minutes ago, titus'reef said:

I had success with emerald crabs going for them. I also know someone who managed the bubble algae with that creature.  I hope it helps. 

I tried emerald crabs several times.   None of them ever touched the bubble algae.  It seems to be luck of the draw with them.

1 hour ago, shaywood said:

Keep an eye on your nutrient levels.  Vibrant starves the nutrients causing the algae to die.  It's important to watch levels.  The impact on corals may not occur for a couple weeks. This is only based on my experience.

Yes, I've been keeping an eye on my nitrate and phosphate several times per week.  So far the parameters are within a good range.  I did turn off my skimmer for a couple of weeks which helped keep the nutrient levels up.