Devastated by the Power Outage

MAC

Wow, never have experienced so much loss in my tank. I am kinda shocked at the amount of livestock I just removed.

Moving forward I am interested in what tips or tricks yall have for the next outage.

I tried blowing air into the water with a tube, created water movement via waterfalling tank water, and covering tank with blankets to keep warm. 

I'm gonna look into getting a back up power source for my mostly coral tank in the future.

Sad day here in SE Portland.

Edited by MAC
  • Sad 2

So sad 🥺

A battery backup for one pump and heating tank water on a gas stove maybe.  You can pull a gallon (measure carefully) and heat it to 10 degrees above the tank temp, topup with RODI to a gallon and pour it in. Then pull another gallon and repeat until the tank is 78. Doing this with 1 of 30 gallons at a time leads to minimal risk except touching your pan.

If you have a big enough pan to hold tap water at 100 degrees, you can use a plastic bag of tank water and float it.

Or float bags of hot tap water in the tank.

Also: a generator.  I'm planning to buy a UPS and generator very soon so the UPS can keep it going while I turn on the geny

I wish I could have moved my livestock but I was stuck in my home due to the snow & ice, fallen trees, and power lines. Really was the worst case scenario for me. I would have been at C&C in a heartbeat if i could make it. 

I wasn’t able to access this forum or else I would have reached out. 

Edited by MAC
  • Sad 1

Good news! Power has been back for a few hours now and the fish i had moved into a hospital tank are actually showing signs of hope. The loss is not as big as I initially assumed and corals are opening up again! 

Biggest scare thus far. No doubt that I’ll be getting a generator soon. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MAC said:

Good news! Power has been back for a few hours now and the fish i had moved into a hospital tank are actually showing signs of hope. The loss is not as big as I initially assumed and corals are opening up again! 

Biggest scare thus far. No doubt that I’ll be getting a generator soon. 

That's excellent news!  Good luck for a full recovery.

• Like 1

That's great news!

Inverter running off of car in driveway can make allot of power.  It wastes gas and you have to be sure your car is outside, but harbor freight and walmart carry inverters.

Generator is if course the best.

Reef buddies are awesome too but most of the time our tanks are too full.

• Like 1