Hello! New to the forum!

Hincapiej4

15 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Pretty impressed with how you are able to keep sps and a clam in a smaller Red Sea. Those maximas in my experience really chew up the calcium. 
welcome to the club!

Hehe , thanks! Oddly enough, it's my alk that the clam impacted the most in my tank.

6 hours ago, Hincapiej4 said:

Yea. I've had people say the calcium uptake is huge on a clam, but for me, it's the alk that's it's sucking down. Haha

What size tank is it ? I like the little flipper viewer you have too. Tell us a little more about your tank. Are you dosing? Tank looks well stocked but not much algae. Are you using a refugium? 

15 hours ago, Hincapiej4 said:

Yea. I've had people say the calcium uptake is huge on a clam, but for me, it's the alk that's it's sucking down. Haha

That's the thing about calcium carbonate. It is formed with the exact same ratio of calcium and alkalinity at all times. That's 20 ppm calcium to 2.8 dKH alkalinity. That means for a coral to drop your tank 20ppm of calcium, your alkalinity will drop 2.8. That's why you'll always see alkalinity drop much more than calcium. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 5:02 AM, Emerald525 said:

What size tank is it ? I like the little flipper viewer you have too. Tell us a little more about your tank. Are you dosing? Tank looks well stocked but not much algae. Are you using a refugium? 

It is an Red Sea XL300. I am dosing KH and CA, at one point..before dosing nopox, the tank was eating 34ml+ alk a day. After NOPoX....lowest was 5ml...

I never really had too much algae issues before nopox, I only dosed it to try to control nitrates. It pissed off my tank, and I have now stopped my Nopox. Uptake is nowhere near what it was. Sitting around 15mil usage.

I am surely using a refugium, the cheato growth had slowed down since NOPOX which is expected, but is starting to possibly speed up again.

I have a feeling that NOPOX really messed with my PH. It's used to always sit around 8.3 or so on it's own. I'm having trouble getting it stable again, but I've gone back to what I was doing before, so I expect that at some point, it will be back to what it was. 

I check my ALK uptake daily since my normal usage was double what it is now, and I don't want to be surprised.

• Like 1