Tariffs Ruin Dream Tank Plans

pdxmonkeyboy

Soooo...  Kind of giddy about my new dream tank build I call Professional Plastics to check the inventory of cast acrylic sheets.  They don't have any 98 x60" 3/4 or 1" in any of their warehouses AND DUE TO THE CHINESE TARIFFS, THE WILL NOT BE IMPORTING ANYTHING.  The manufacturer will not import them to the US...not professional plastics.

So does anyone else have any idea where to get wholesale acrylic in the area?  

And no.. Tapp plastics does not count.  1" 4 x 8 from Pro plastics is $694.00.  Tapp wants $1017 for the same sheet. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks kingfisher! I was going to call multicraft but I will look for the others as well. The thick acrylic sheets are always pretty difficult to find. I was really bummed to hear that Acrylite would NOT be importing any acrylic until the tariffs are over. The only brand of acrylic I have heard being trustworthy for aquariums are: acrylite GP, spartech polycast, and plexiglass AG or plexiglass G.. can't remember.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Optimusprime3605 said:

Dude, deals with acrylic. But don't have him EVER build a tank or sump for you!
I'll text ya his contact number...

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

Oh come on, he builds a lot of tanks for people including my self and have never had a problem with anything he has made for me. He has also built a lot of the tank for a lot of the local store. Now I have seen other tanks come apart at the seem including glass tanks, granted sometimes his seams might not look the the best sometime with a bubble here and there but never had one come apart or any other issues.

Edited by SALTY

Oh come on, he builds a lot of tanks for people including my self and have never had a problem with anything he has made for me. He has also built a lot of the tank for a lot of the local store. Now I have seen other tanks come apart at the seem including glass tanks, granted sometimes his seams might not look the the best sometime with a bubble here and there but never had one come apart or any other issues.
Lol
My custom cube was built by him, never again!
Of course, most people know acrylic, for the most part, will not bust at the seams unlike glass. Bubbles here and there? Haha, you mean "here, there and everywhere". Oh yeah, don't give him explicit directions on how you want your tank built, it'll never happen. Maybe you don't mind asthetics, but I do and I'm sure majority of the people do, as well, especially when you fork out a grand to have a tank built. I could go on and on....
I could name 2 local shops off the top of my head that had tanks built by Ruben, were they happy? Phuck NO! Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy to deal with, and I'd have no problems slammin' down some beers with him, but not to build me a custom tank, again. Sorry.
I know you had tanks made by him, and I even remember you selling his tanks, too, on the forum. That's fine, ain't nothing wrong with that, if you like his quality of work, but honestly, most people don't. Not here to bash you, just here to give people a heads up about his quality of work regarding custom tank building.

Carry on...

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

• Haha 1

ummm, who changed the Tittle of my thread? 

FYI. There are many tariffs between us and many countries.  The China tariffs, which are affecting my tank build, are the poor idea of one man and one man alone.  Donald Trump.  Despite the incorrect inference by Mr. "I have to [language filter] about everything", I did not say a single thing positive or negative about Trump. 

I simply stated Trump's tariffs have dashed my hopes of completing a reasonably priced aquarium build. 

Editing facts is a slippery slope.  I don't care if you agree with the tariffs or not, the fact is that acrylic prices have skyrocketed. 

How much have they gone up?  I got this revised quote I got today...

Polycast Acrylic Sheet

Clear

.500 x 48.00 x 96.00        1 sheet                 $776.58

.750 x 48.00 x 96.00        1 sheet                 $1,222.94

.750 x 72.00 x 96.00        2 sheets               $1,530.80 per sheet

1” x 60.00 x 96.00            1 sheet                 $1637.47

$100 Box Charge

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

I disagree.  The internet is just miles of open fields without even a square millimeter that isn't poop.  The only disparity is how deep.

Wait, did you just say this website is mired in feces?  

Chris Hadfield, the astronaut..the one playing major tom in space...   referred to the internet as a "dumpster fire".  LOL 

• Haha 1

I completely understand and agree with Brian...  So apparently China wouldn't pay for the additional 25% tariffs when I passed my US custom's bill to them contrary to the mastermind that came up with this.  Results is I have to absorb most of the additional tariffs and pass some to my customers.  Starting a start-up is already hard enough, this is a slap in the face for all the hard work I put into development and production.

• Like 4

I changed the title of the thread at the request of a club officer discussion. It’s nothing personal and obviously worked brilliantly as a way to keep the convo from turning too political... 🙄 

The problematic crab was removed from the discussion altogether. That was not my doing, but I’m hardly crying over it. 

If anyone is just dying to post inflammatory responses, I hear Facebook is a good place for that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1