Clown babies

CrabbyCrabs

Found out yesterday my Wyoming white pair have a stash of eggs they are nursing on the backside of one of my main rocks. I was wondering why they were hiding so much, they are usually up front when you walk by. It's interesting watching them take turns cleaning them. And the little eyes you can see in the egg is creepy. What are the chances any will live that I can transfer to my qt tank that's just running with rock? I was not expecting them otherwise I would have put a clay pot in there. There is no way to remove the rock they are on.

The babies will not make it in a display tank. If the parents don’t eat them, they will be eaten by all the other fish/shrimps. 

I would consider setting up a separate tank for the parents, if you want your other fish to survive. My Darwin’s killed everything in my tank before I figured out they were laying eggs. 

If you want to raise them babies, there’s plenty of information out there on how to do it. I’ll post a link to my thread shortly. 

Good luck and feel free to ask questions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I figured as much. I do have a cycled 29 I set up for a qt that has not been used. But I don't have rotifers and can't remove the rock they are on. This batch will be fish food or caught in filter sock. My clowns won't let anything near the eggs. They attack anything that gets close, and anything foreign I put in, like the turkey baster. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

I figured as much. I do have a cycled 29 I set up for a qt that has not been used. But I don't have rotifers and can't remove the rock they are on. This batch will be fish food or caught in filter sock. My clowns won't let anything near the eggs. They attack anything that gets close, and anything foreign I put in, like the turkey baster. 

What’s the use for a clay pot that you mentioned you would have put in if you knew?

I knew a guy who used to raise seahorses locally, he told me people would ask him about raising babies all the time. He basically just told everyone no to trying to raise them. It takes a complete setup, food growout setup (for live food the fry need), and a ton of time on your end (he basically came home and worked on them for a few hours after work and did before going to work every AM, plus monitoring in between). Given clowns are a bit “easier” to raise than seahorses, but I don’t think most people are setup for the endeavor or understand how much it actually takes. If I was you, I would ignore it unless you are serious about setting up some sort of growout system and researching what is required. It takes a lot more than just tossing them in a separate tank. It’s more of a fun idea than a reality for most.

The other problem is finding homes for them after. I'm not in a position to turn my basement, garage, and barn into a giant clown house. I just hate to see them have babies then have them die. My Wyoming whites are some of the nicest ones I've seen in stores/online since I started the hobby. I always look when I go anywhere. Doing the work isn't an issue for me. Not being able to find them good homes is the issue, especially if we are talking a hundred fish.

• 2 months later...

Wow, I saw hundreds of babies about a 1/4" long or less in the tank last night. First time I've seen them after hatching. There were still a bunch this morning. Other fish/shrimp didn't pay them any attention. Now I feel bad for sending them to their filter sock death.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've done lots of research on raising clown babies and never quite got there, unfortunately my breeding pair was lost in my tank crash a couple years ago [emoji24] I understand it's a lot of work, you have to have the tank space for all the ones that survive plus have plenty of live rotifer cultures etc. From what I remember reading a lot of people tend to have at least a couple cultures going in case something happens to one, then the babies don't starve. I have a spare 10 gallon if you want it it's yours! You'll probably need something larger though a little later but it may work as a temporary nursery? I probably have some extra filters too, I think some people use sponge filters at first so the tiny babies don't get sucked in the filter or through the overflow depending on what you're using as a nursery. Oh by the way it was great meeting your girlfriend! She's super nice! And thanks for the Coral, I hope the fuge works for you. Sorry I didn't have time to get it cleaned up before hand, I had a dental emergency early that morning so I just put it in the back seat and left .. and I believe I told your girlfriend if you guys frag your Duncan let me know!!

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk