1. 1.

• YEY! Worth it
    • NEY! Pile of Junk
    • MJ MOD or TUNZE NANOSTREAM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 #3's in my 210. One on each side of the tank along with an MJ 1200 on each side. The Koralias are great. They have a nice wide stream that sends out plenty of power. I got mine for $25 a piece on ebay brand new and couldn't be happier with the performance for the price. As far as the Maxi jets go you really can never go wrong, although I have never seen the 1200's for less than $25 a piece and thats a screamin deal!(usually more like $35). The magnets on the 3's are actually pretty good. I havn't had any problems on my tank with them falling or moving at all.

I say yay for the koralias. I don't really care much for the hydor deflectors. They break after a couple of months of use and lessen the output of your powerhead. They are cool, just need some thought and a little better engineering.

Garrett

One of my vendors informed me that Hydor was going to be bought by Central Pet (owners of Kent, Oceanic, AGA, etc), this might change things alot in the future for the availability and price of the product....

It is of course speculation, but the person acted like it was already in the works.

Well I found a real good deal on the 6025's and I think I might buy a pair. It also seems that Tunzes CS is incredible. At least what I read from their forum on RC. Seems like every problem seems to get fixed easily. I'll let everyone know what I do. Later Ryan

Well the Tunze Nanostream deal didnt work out as planned :( So I dug around a little and finally found someone that had the Koralias in stock. So I bought two 2's and two 3's!! They should be here mid next week. I would still like to get a Nanostream, mod it and see what it can do!! I will keep everyone up to date on what I think of the Koralias. Later Ryan

Hey Ryan - care to share your source? Thanks!

I was gonna buy them from reefstop.com but they said they would match pricing but ended up not wanting to. Champion Lighting had them 10%, they still might. Later Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got my 2 2's and 2 3's a couple days ago and so far have the 2 hooked up in the Pod and I like it. Nice dispersment of flow. Something interesting is that I heard of the orange impellers but my 2's have green ones and the 3's have white ones. Kinda funny. But if anyone is looking to buy a Koralia I recommend them so far :) Seem to be a nice powerhead for a good price. Later Ryan

I just got a flyer from Ecosystems ( the mud and coral magazine people) they have a commercially made maxijet mod. No price though, so I dont know if its worth it. It would probably end up being more than a koralia by the time you buy the maxijet and the mod.

Ill look into it if anyone wants one.

• 1 month later...

I have two Koralia 3 on my 75 and I love them!

The only problem is they don't mix well with the Red Sea Wavemaker! Each time they start up the impellor jumps a few times, making loud clicking sounds before finally starting. I had to take them off it due to it driving me NUTS. ;)

why not drill for a CL?

I didn't want to mess with mods, nor asking someone else to gift the labor. Since my rock is in the middle of the tank, I have unmodded mj's buried/hidden and don't want to worry about any trial/error work. I would go closed loop, but the tank is a room divider and viewed from both sides. Wife asked me tonight, "why do you have pumps on your list" :). Of course there is always something better out there, right? I think I already have about 6-8 pumps in storage.

OK, still haven't found articles elsewhere either that display the distance of flow being pushed by a #4. Anybody have theirs hooked up to a Wavemaster Pro? Not sure if current versions work with it well, noisy possibly? Also, thinking of hooking this 2 Koralias system up to a battery backup, especially with our 3 hour blackout in Damascus Monday night. That leads to another step, getting the backup. Any Help or ideas appreciated. Tanks a lot!

I have 4 #4's on my 60gal cube and they are great for the money!!!!!!! I will continue to run them...I will however be adding a wavy sea and a tunze nano on a controller, just to get a little more random flow and current in the tank...

They are not meant to be hooked up to a wave maker, they are gnarly with they start up again, plus if you had them shut off and a fish got in there (openings on the front are big) it would be chopped up into lots of fun little pieces...I think they are one of the few things in this hobby, that is cheap and works very well...Add them to your list Ron.

I am currently looking at getting 2 - #4's for my 90. Marine Ddepot claims that these should NOT be used with a wave maker. Dang... that is what I wanted to do. Has anybody tried using these with a variable power source, i.e changing the phase of the current feeding them to cause the impeller to speed up/slow down? (Think motor speed controler, not voltage).

What about turning them off for feeding and nighty-night mode?

Any inexpensive sources out there?

Thanks,

Any inexpensive sources out there?

Thanks,

I've sent a link to Salty Supply to my wife; on sale for $49. Free shipping applies to product if total is $100 in cart. Also, check TRT for other codes like 10% off or free Xmas gift. Never bought anything online for tanks yet, but people rave about them on TRT as a sponsor.

http://www.saltysupply.com/product-p/hd19401.htm

Noisy?

I have been looking into these, but I have heard conflicting reports on how noisy they are. Some say they are silent, others say noisy. I am looking to get 2x Koralia #1's. What's the consensus on noise vs a standard powerhead like a maxijet or hagen with similar output?

I heard that early versions came without the rubber gasket to dampen noise. Are all of these out of the chains of commerce or do I have to watch out for this when ordering?