1. 1.

• YEY! Worth it
    • NEY! Pile of Junk
    • MJ MOD or TUNZE NANOSTREAM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are great...if I did not have these I would go closed loop...They are such a good price and they put out great broad random flow...

I have two things of tunze and they are so cheaply made, they feel cheap and have the cheapest plastic known to man...I feel tunze are the most overrated thing in this hobby...I think they were pioneers and did alot of tricky stuff in the beginning before anyone else and that is where their hype came from...however I think they have just not kept up with the market demand...and not so innovative...but that is just my thinking...The nano streams are quite a bit more then the equivalent hydors...so I would get those...Unless you are dead set on be able to control the pumps, go with the Hydros...

I use both Hydor, and Tunze.

The Koralia #4 moves some serious water, and the flow pattern is pretty wide. The Magnet holder is OK, but I think the Tunze wins in that department. The Hydor magnet is a little weak, best on 3/8" thick tanks and under.

I also have 2 Nanostream 6025's and the best thing about these pumps is how easy it is to re-direct flow. The Magnets are very powerful, I'd use them on at least 5/8" possibly 3/4" thick tanks. The nanostreams in the beginning had all kinds of issues, but mine have ran flawless for 4 months. Nice flow pattern too. Not so much of a V pattern like the koralia. I like the look of the Tunze better, but who looks at powerheads?

6 of 1 and half dozen of the other.

MJmod hands down

MJmod total cost ~30bucks

flow: 1500gph-2500gph+

add 10 bucks for a magfloat to hold it

I haven't used either the koralias or tunze. If i had to choose i'd go with koralias for the price. I'm in agreement with Brandon, Tunze has become more about marketing than product.

I have the koralia 2 in my 30g, and love it. They are so easy to position and the flow is nice and indirect, so it goes all over the tank. I think that the only down side would be the magnet, like chewie said. They don't just randomly fall off, but if you go to reposition it, you have to hold the magnet too so that it doesn't come off. I still say yay for the koralia, although I have seen that you can get some pretty crazy flow out of a modded nanostream. But the koralia's are a lot less expensive :D

MJmod hands down

MJmod total cost ~30bucks

flow: 1500gph-2500gph+

add 10 bucks for a magfloat to hold it

I haven't used either the koralias or tunze. If i had to choose i'd go with koralias for the price. I'm in agreement with Brandon, Tunze has become more about marketing than product.

So, either the price of the Maxijet powerheads went WAY down(last

i checked they're about 25-30 bux) or you're getting the MJ mod parts for free. + $10-15 for the magnet. I'd rather go the Koralia # 4. Plus the Tunze uses 7w of electricity, and the koralia4 uses 8w.

MJ1200's use 20w.

Less watts = less heat

I put a small nanostream in my sons 29 and love the flow. I thought about the hydros on my 92 but do not want to look at a power head. And if I do end up going that rout I would defiantely pay the extra dollars for the Tunze. I think they look beter and work a little better. Just my 2 cents. Oh and I have already seen a Hydro 4 break at a LFS.

I put a small nanostream in my sons 29 and love the flow. I thought about the hydros on my 92 but do not want to look at a power head. And if I do end up going that rout I would defiantely pay the extra dollars for the Tunze. I think they look beter and work a little better. Just my 2 cents. Oh and I have already seen a Hydro 4 break at a LFS.

I agree they do look better...The Hydro's have colored impellers and I do not like that aspect...but an extra 37 bucks a power head for roughly the same amount of flow is not worth it to me...

So, either the price of the Maxijet powerheads went WAY down(last

i checked they're about 25-30 bux) or you're getting the MJ mod parts for free. + $10-15 for the magnet. I'd rather go the Koralia # 4. Plus the Tunze uses 7w of electricity, and the koralia4 uses 8w.

MJ1200's use 20w.

Less watts = less heat

A modded MJ1200 runs around 11-12W.

MJ1200- $19

Dumas 3004 prop - $1

2 feet of carbon fiber shaft - $3

Hard airline tubing - $2 (assuming you don't have any laying around - we all do!)

soft airline tubing - $3 for 20ft

1.5" PVC coupler - 70 cents

$28.70 and you have enough shaft, hard airline tubing, and soft airline tubing to do approx 5 more.

I agree they do look better...The Hydro's have colored impellers and I do not like that aspect...but an extra 37 bucks a power head for roughly the same amount of flow is not worth it to me...

I figure as much as we spend on this hobby that it is worth it. I know I have wasted more money well not wasted but spent more on things that have died(carpet surfing) or been eaten or just did not like where they were and decided to take the plunge into the sumpDOH! So 37 dollars is not a whole lot more to spend on looks. I know if there was a real nice coral that I liked I would spend the money so why not on the power head?

And as for the modded power heads I would like to try one but do not have the info to do one. And would also like to see what they look like. Not sure if I want a white chunk of pvc sitting in the tank. I am anal about white pvc and have painted all of my stuff that you see with a plastic paint so it blends into the tank better. So far so good have not had any problem with the paint and none of it hits water.

I have 2 modded tunze 6025's in my tank - the flow is awesome and very disperse. I ran them stock for a while and I would say overpriced in that form, but with a 5 minute mod that a 7 year old could probably do - you have 2x's the flow at the same low wattage and it still looks good. So with the mod it's actually a better value than the hydors. I also have a couple of hydors though :)

I didn't do the stopper mod because I keep mine on constantly. I did have a time when one of them started backwards though, but like it says in that thread I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started fine. If these were on timers I would definitely do the stopper mod.

I have two Hydor K1's in my tank. I really like being able to move them and angle them at any given time. I like the oval shape as well, it seems to fit well in the scheme of the tank better than the square boxy type.

Of course, I have only had hydors...so what do I know!

Kris

Im thinking of getting two 2's or two 3's for my Oceanic 33. I can get two 2's or two 3's for 70-80 bucks. Thats almost the cost of 1 small nanostream!! I was just kinda posting this thread to see if anyone had any problems with the Koralias. Later Ryan

Im thinking of getting two 2's or two 3's for my Oceanic 33. I can get two 2's or two 3's for 70-80 bucks. Thats almost the cost of 1 small nanostream!! I was just kinda posting this thread to see if anyone had any problems with the Koralias. Later Ryan

Hey Ryan were are you finding the best price for these?

They are hard to find in stock right now is the only thing. Most places are all the same, you just gotta find out who has free shipping or a coupon code :) Im gonna look tonight to see if I can find any instock and I will let ya know Randy. Later ryan