In-wall vs. Stand alone tank

Gil&Fin

Your in that weird middle area not a small easy to clean tank but just big enough that cleaning from the out side is going to suck. Advice to you is either stay under 200 gallons or go big enough that you have to scuba dive be I advice to you is either stay under 200 gallons or go big enough that you have to scuba dive to clean it. ????????????

Your in that weird middle area not a small easy to clean tank but just big enough that cleaning from the out side is going to suck. Advice to you is either stay under 200 gallons or go big enough that you have to scuba dive be I advice to you is either stay under 200 gallons or go big enough that you have to scuba dive to clean it. ????????????

Under 200? Blasphemy! I just need longer arms.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

in wall is nice but make the tank as long and wide as possible but don't go deeper than 24", IMO.  Also make sure it's accessible from the front and back at a minimum but if one or both sides can be accessible that's the would be even better.  here is picture of my tank from when it was first setup.  also this is just another opinion but go with a glass tank and make the viewable panels starphire.    

https://3216440280_6d322c454c_b.jpgDSC09996 by kilmca, on Flickr

in wall is nice but make the tank as long and wide as possible but don't go deeper than 24", IMO. Also make sure it's accessible from the front and back at a minimum but if one or both sides can be accessible that's the would be even better. here is picture of my tank from when it was first setup. also this is just another opinion but go with a glass tank and make the viewable panels starphire.

https://3216440280_6d322c454c_b.jpgDSC09996 by kilmca, on Flickr

I love this tank. I wish I had taken pictures of the back when I was there. Thanks for the advice, Calvin. It sounds like accessibility is key.

For a beautiful home like yours go in wall. As far as cleaning the front glass just get yourself a nice magnet with a scraper and leave the sides and back to be covered in coralline algae. Maintenance is an ease from the sump at waist level.

• Like 1

In-wall, no question IMO/E

I'd have to disagree with Tom, my tanks no harder to clean than the accounts I service just do not go anything taller than 27" and to mark it easier for you I'd say 24" max 72x48x24 puuuuurfect or 72x72x24 #jealous

The deeper you can go the better, the difference in perception between 3' and 4' is HUGE, 3 is nice 4 is better and more than 4 would be incredible. You have to go with a black back and you also have to keep the back clean, no coraline, it's gives a very abyss type look, if that is even a look-it works in my mind.

Your welcome to come by, just don't judge :)

• Like 2

I'd have to disagree with Tom, my tanks no harder to clean than the accounts I service just do not go anything taller than 27" and to mark it easier for you I'd say 24" max 72x48x24 puuuuurfect or 72x72x24 #jealous

The deeper you can go the better, the difference in perception between 3' and 4' is HUGE, 3 is nice 4 is better and more than 4 would be incredible. You have to go with a black back and you also have to keep the back clean, no coraline, it's gives a very abyss type look, if that is even a look-it works in my mind.

Now that I have seen your tank in person I am truly jelo!!!! I want your tank! Some day I will have me a huge in wall like yours.

I was thinking holy. Where you want to put your tank in the wall (if you do) I would try to bring it to the edge of the door so that way you could se it from the rest of your basement. If that makes sense?

sent from a Samsung note 4

• Like 1

Wow Holly how have you not seen Brads tank yet as much as you get around?

I definitely think you should take him up on the offer. His setup was what I had in mind for you when you talked about your fish room with lots of frag systems in the back.

Don't worry, I'm all over it.

• Like 1

I feel like there's a story behind that comment...

I'm just giving Brad a hard time. His temporary set up during the switch looked a bit like a fire hazard. Lol.. I'm sure he got it squared away tho. I think we can both agree that when you go into a bigger tank like 400+ gallons there are many pieces of equipment that will be required to keep the inhabitants thriving. That will be one of a few challenges and something very important to take into consideration. At least for me it was.

Gil&Fin....you should ask reefnjunkie to let you try to reach in to clean a bit to have a feel of it.  He's a pro and everything he laid out seem like piece of cake but at the end the day, you are the captain.  Are you really committed to it or just hot shot and get rid of it after few months???  I almost gave up this hobby last Summer after lost all my colonies to AEFW battle, dead fishes, and every time deep clean, my back hurt, my arms are tired but the colors inspirations in SPS keep me going but for how long....IDK.

I am getting older and my body is slowly giving up on me....I probably shut down both aquariums and koi pond soon and just visiting you folks reefers's tanks to enjoy for no labor work :-).

Saltwater/ponds are no joke, they seem like a part or fulltime job.  If you are in for a long run, make it so easy when it comes to maintenance( and stay away from acrylic).   This is not a plug and forget thingy.

Edited by caolewis
  • Like 1

One good way for you to see the impact of space... go buy a roll of Gaffer tape. Measure and put tape down to see where everything would fit. a 11'x8' room will shrink up pretty quick once you add equipment.

That is a killer idea! It will help you plan out everything.

sent from a Samsung note 4

I love this tank. I wish I had taken pictures of the back when I was there. Thanks for the advice, Calvin. It sounds like accessibility is key.

here is a picture of the laundry/mechanical room behind the tank a long time ago.  currently this space looks a little different cause i'm removing the external skimmer and return pump and installing an in sump skimmer and submersible return pump to give me more access from the back of the tank.  

http://3215579449_bb17f61d34_b.jpgDSC00053 by kilmca, on Flickr  

I agree with Brad on going with a 3' or 4' wide tank.  I went with the 10' tank that is 32" deep because i wanted a 10' tank and that is what i was limited to without having to move a hot water heater and other stuff but i also considered a 8' long tank that was 4' wide and i kind of wish i did that but having a 10' tank is still great.  

Thanks, guys.  And I appreciate the comments about the commitment it takes to maintain a large tank.  Right now I have five tanks (one large display, two smaller displays, and two 40-gallon frags) on four separate systems.  If all goes as planned, I will end up with four tanks (extra-large display, large display, and two frag tanks) on only two systems.  Even though there will be fewer systems though, that doesn't necessarily mean less time or expense.  Also, I've thought about the fact that right now, if I decided I wanted to get rid of a tank, I would get rid of a tank.  If I have a built-in 280 gallon and decide to get rid of the tank, I need to call carpenters, plumbers, and electricians.  :wacko:

So this weekend I'm hoping to take a look at a couple of other members' systems.  I am so thankful for all the advice in this thread, and for the generous offers to let me look first-hand at what other successful reefers are doing, and what they would do differently.  Very cool people here.  Just sayin'.