In-wall vs. Stand alone tank

Gil&Fin

You could just get a super nice 80" LED from Costco, mount it in wall, and then live stream some aquarium feeds.

That's awesome!  I can put cameras at all your houses and stream video of your tanks.  That will save me much time and money.

• Like 2

Have tile flooring with drainage.  No matter how well you plan, you will flood your floor at least once and few time with your sump.  3 or 4 feed wide/depth will cost a lot more lighting ( if you want well spread all over the tank ).  You go with cheap LEDs, they are gone poopoo within a year or so.  Good lighting (my hydra has been going for 2 years or more now...crossing fingers) will cost around $400 each for led and you need may be 8?  Man, my tank only 2 feet in depth but I already use 8 hydra :-).  The worst part is fish jumping and flashing saltwater and moist over lighting and they are going poopoo alot faster.

Edited by caolewis

Have tile flooring with drainage.  No matter how well you plan, you will flood your floor at least once and few time with your sump.  3 or 4 feed wide/depth will cost a lot more lighting.  You go with cheap LEDs, they are gone poopoo within a year or so.  Good lighting (my hydra has been going for 2 years or more now...crossing fingers) will cost around $400 each for led and you need may be 8?  Man, my tank only 2 feet in depth but I already use 8 hydra :-).  The worst part is fish jumping and flashing saltwater and moist over lighting and they are going poopoo alot faster.

You're killing my buzz, Tom.  Let's turn that frown upside down!

Just kidding.  You're right, lighting is going to be a Pretty Penny.  I will have to sell off my entire stylo and birdsnest collection.  I already told my youngest that he better get some scholarships because his college fund is being "liquified."  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

And here's my 280 covered (back and sides) in hideous coraline algae just for fun. So you know what not to do :)

20160217_143345_zpslnxscd45.jpg

Jorge, your tank is beautiful.  And you grow killer corals and have fat, healthy fish.  I want to know the dimensions of your tank, but I don't want you to respond to this message because your message count is currently "777," which is really cool.  I don't want you to mess it up on my account.

• Like 3

You're killing my buzz, Tom.  Let's turn that frown upside down!

Just kidding.  You're right, lighting is going to be a Pretty Penny.  I will have to sell off my entire stylo and birdsnest collection.  I already told my youngest that he better get some scholarships because his college fund is being "liquified."  :rolleyes:

ha..ha....Sorry, I am party crasher, huh :-).  When I do things, I do a lot research and brainstorm then pull trigger.  I don't ask for opinions cause they sometimes set me down.  All about nut, gut and luck!!!

Edited by caolewis
  • Like 2

Yeah Steve is still around, he pops in Upscales every now and then... pretty sure he's still focused on cold water. I haven't talked to him in quite some time.

Holly, I don't think he ever had an official build thread... Maybe something on Reef Central but you can always look over his site for some inspiration!

http://www.oregonreef.com/index.html

Edited by Arsonmfg
  • Like 1

Yeah Steve is still around, he pops in Upscales every now and then... pretty sure he's still focused on cold water. I haven't talked to him in quite some time.

Holly, I don't think he ever had an official build thread... Maybe something on Reef Central but you can always look over his site for some inspiration!

Steve came to the Scott Fellman talk a year ago. In the talk Scott referred to Steve's system as one of the all-time greatest tanks in reef-keeping. I wish I had a chance to see it. Apparently Steve lost it all in a catastrophic crash caused by skimmer overflow and then, in an emergency fix, replacing the lost water with tap water and a bad batch of dechlorinator.

That is one epic build!