DC pump experience and options

PowderBlue

So I've decided on my next skimmer which will be dc, now I need some input on my return pump. I initially thought jaebo for price, but I also looked at the new vortec. What else is out there and what are you guys using? Do you like it, hate it, etc! Thanks ahead of time

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by PowderBlue

I hate to be Mr. Negative, but I have had around 8 different Jebao powerheads and one DC 12000..The longest any of the pumps have made it is one year. Most have quit within 6 months. I kept telling myself, I can just buy another one for the price. Don't waste your money..just my opinion.

• Like 1

I hate to be Mr. Negative, but I have had around 8 different Jebao powerheads and one DC 12000..The longest any of the pumps have made it is one year. Most have quit within 6 months. I kept telling myself, I can just buy another one for the price. Don't waste your money..just my opinion.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I'd like to buy the vortec but man... 350 for a return pump then 300 on a skimmer is rough haha

It was my understanding that the Gen 2 Wavelines were different from Jebaos. When Waveline upgraded to Gen 2, their Gen 1 technology then appeared in the Jebao pumps.

So, the older Wavelines were the same as the Jebaos.

Whether this is currently the case or not, the Gen 2 Wavelines are sweet pumps.

• Like 1

I have been running a Jaebo 1200 for a year and a half or so. No issues. I also run a Diablo 5500 which was much more expensive and way louder. Neither have ever failed. I generally pull the pumps and soak in ro and vinegar every 3 months or so. 

Top of the line would be a Red Dragon I think, but $$$$$. 

If it is for that little tank you could do a Maxijet 1200 for a return. I ran a 34g tank off of one of those for years with no issues. 

If your getting a bigger tank hit me up if you need some other stuff. I'm tryin to clear my little stockpile in the garage. I'd really like to ditch a couple hundred lbs of rock :D

• Like 1

I think you'll enjoy it, I love my RO Elite DC pump, it's been going for over a year now with no issues. Super quiet. Have a DCT6000 sitting around for impeller testing, they are super powerful for the price, well worth it.

I think the newer DCT/S line has over current protection to avoid them burning up if the impeller locks up, which was the main issue with the original DC line. Just keep the impeller bearing clean and it won't give you any issues.

• Like 1

My Jeabo DC-6000 has been running great for over a year and I just cleaned it for the first time last week. If it ever dies I'm going with the DCT version. Best $60 I've spent!

What size tank and sump are you running?

And 911 would be a fun DD!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...