DC pump experience and options

PowderBlue

I have been running a DCT-4000 on my 55g tank for a year and a half.  Just a cleaning here and there and it has done great.  I had a very restrictive UV sterilizer in line on the return and had to run the pump at 10.  I took the sterilizer out and now I cannot get above 2 without making a mess.  I have a DCT-8000 for my 120 build.

Edited by cjmdh

5 hours ago, Jeremevans said:

Digging up an old thread to find out how the DC pumps have held up. Who is still running them and who isn't?

Well I ran a Jeabo for a while on that 40 breeder you saw in the garage. I also run a DC pump on a skimmer in my big tank and also the return is a DC pump but is an M1 and works flawlessly........

28 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well I ran a Jeabo for a while on that 40 breeder you saw in the garage. I also run a DC pump on a skimmer in my big tank and also the return is a DC pump but is an M1 and works flawlessly........

Hey Scott - curious about your experience running the DC pump on a skimmer. I have seen manufacturer's info saying they are unsuitable for skimmers such as Beckett and down draft types (presumably due to back pressure issues) but this seems a bit odd since they are given head ratings similar to standard AC pumps. What were you running yours on? 

14 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Hey Scott - curious about your experience running the DC pump on a skimmer. I have seen manufacturer's info saying they are unsuitable for skimmers such as Beckett and down draft types (presumably due to back pressure issues) but this seems a bit odd since they are given head ratings similar to standard AC pumps. What were you running yours on? 

Not sure what skimmer it is :laugh: I bought it from Arson here on he forums and so far has worked great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spectra said:

I will ask him and let you know.

Thanks man!  I am wondering about driving my injection spray skimmer (which has backpressure like a becket or Venturi) with a DC pump to get some increased efficiency and adjustability but am hesitant due to the disclaimers.  Would be nice to know if it works for someone else. 

10 hours ago, albertareef said:

Thanks man!  I am wondering about driving my injection spray skimmer (which has backpressure like a becket or Venturi) with a DC pump to get some increased efficiency and adjustability but am hesitant due to the disclaimers.  Would be nice to know if it works for someone else. 

I converted my skimmer over as the DC pumps at the time did not have the proper head pressure.

Things may have changed by now though.

2 hours ago, TheClark said:

I converted my skimmer over as the DC pumps at the time did not have the proper head pressure.

Things may have changed by now though.

Thanks for the feedback Jeremy.  It just seems odd that they will rate them for typical head pressures and yet say they won't work for this application.  I am guessing I am missing something here.

20 hours ago, albertareef said:

Ok its a SRO XP2000............not sure what pump is on it. Arson modified it and well works like a champ for me..............

IMG_3595.jpg

7 minutes ago, spectra said:

Ok its a SRO XP2000............not sure what pump is on it. Arson modified it and well works like a champ for me..............

IMG_3595.jpg

Thanks Scott.  From what I can find it ooks to be a model that wouldn't generate much back pressure so that makes sense.  Glad it's working well for you!