DIY AirStone Skimmer

wanareef

Followed along on Reef Frontiers with mojo and the others on building an air stone skimmer. So my design I used an acrylic tube that is 12" dia and about 52" tall without the mixing box.

Still far from being finished but it'll out perform those cone skimmers and should never clog. That's a Boss Hogg ceramic air stone, it's huge

bss-hog.jpg

and will be fed by this air pump

commercial-5.jpg

that runs on 80 watt's and the skimmer will be fed by a maxijet 1200

Well, it's been a while, but finally heated up a piece of acrylic for my little cone that leads to the neck and the cup

Boss Hogg air stone, not sitting on the rack

base_zps6afcb36e.gif

That white metal is a 4' shop light

skimmer_zpsc36fb5cd.gif

The collection cup is "built" into the skimmer, just need to add a UniSeal for the drain

skimmer-neck_zpse0616294.gif

well after reading that 18 page thread and now having a wealth of skimmer related knowledge, I would like to place my official "RFO", (request for order-(whistle)) but first

I have a perfect tank in mind to beta test this on, I think its best perfecting this before you add it onto your system-Just a thought.

Just wanting to help(clap)

well after reading that 18 page thread and now having a wealth of skimmer related knowledge, I would like to place my official "RFO", (request for order-(whistle)) but first

I have a perfect tank in mind to beta test this on, I think its best perfecting this before you add it onto your system-Just a thought.

Just wanting to help(clap)

Thanks Brad always wanting to be the "guinea pig"

Jeff - will be using it on the current system just a 180gal and a frag tank total about 320gals

Eddy - Sunlight Supply

WOW!!! That is a giant skimmer. I have been considering modifying my downdraft skimmer with an airstone, I'm excited to see this in action. :) It's amazing that a skimmer that size only needs a maxi jet 1200!!! Even with out the 80 watts to power the air pump it seems like this is a definite energy saver.

• 1 month later...

Wana,

Great to see you have come to the Airstone side!!

Your DIY Skimmer is awesome. The built in cone looks as it may have been a bit tricky? Did you get it on the first shot?

You know you will be able to run much more gph thur the skimmer? Your contact time and dwell time are going to be great with the height of your mixing chamber. You could run up to 500-800 gph and still get great numbers. Mike posted the formula in the Lets Build a Skimmer Thread.

After I studied the thread and did some math, this is what I came up with.

skimmcone002.jpg

SkimLoc-cup022.jpg

My Water in is a bit different

skimflow015.jpg

skimflow013.jpg

Have you run a test on your yet??

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...