Official 2012 SPS Growout Thread! Contestants post here!

Thanks I'll swing by Garrett's tomorrow and see If we can find it.

Is there an official frag in there?

(innocent)

It's sitting in Kimberlee's tank till the dust settles, I should have it in my tank by the time my lights come on tomorrow.

(clap)

I didn't kill it yet! (clap)

The frag resides in a standard 10g tank. I am running:

Light: Par38 tricolor led bulb with 80 degree optics. 10" above the surface

Flow: 1 tunze 6015 nanostream and a 160gph surface skimming nano filter

Dosing: Brightwell nano a+b and fish food for the nasty damsel. I am going to start using some aqua vitro fuel coral food as soon as it arrives Tuesday.

I have about 10lbs of live rock and a 2 inch sand bed. It is a mixed reef with 1 damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp, and various snails and hermits.

The frag is on a rock (I got a pass because my frag hopped off the plug in the bag) about 6 inches below the water surface.

Here is the pic (look, da polyps mean it's living (naughty))

DSCN0800.jpg

Thanks and good luck!

Let's try this again. I got my official ruler now and though it was smashed the one end is still good. 13 mm.

2012-04-29%252009.33.21.jpg

2012-04-24%252015.50.08.jpg

I am using a measuring ruler that has no reveal so I can set it right on the plug. As of today (April 24th) the frag measures roughly 12 mm.

Equipment

I am running a 30 gallon mixed reef tank. This tank went into action around mid-2011. It is well-established and has an abundance of pods that I have to scrub off the face of the tank everyday. It is an upgrade from a BioCube 29 (which falls far short of 29 gallons).

The display tank is 30 gallon acrylic and the sump is a 15 gallon acrylic. The return pump is a 600 GPH Oceanrunner and I use a Vortech MP10ES on the reef crest setting (highest at day and turned down at night). For filtration, I have a freshly broken in Eshopps S-120 Economy Cone Skimmer and I use ChemiPure Elite to help deal with chemical warfare from all of my corals. I have a 24 Cree LED (12 XP-G White, 12 XP-E Royal Blue) DIY fixture for lighting.

Upgrades are on the horizon. I will be doing a lighting upgrade (12 more royal blue LEDs) followed by a tank upgrade (50 gallon display). :cool:

Frag placement

I placed the frag within the top 6 inches of water column on mini frag rack.

Dosing

I use a Reefkeeper Lite with kalkwasser auto topoff using pH to controller option. I also do some occassional dosing for alk, calcium and magnesium to maintain parameters. I also perform weekly 5 gallon water changes.

I'm a noob to SPS' date=' but am I wrong in thinking that a couple of the frags look upside-down?[/quote']

Nope not wrong. I have been wondering what this is going to to to the growth of those frags? I was hoping the pros would chime in.

I'm a noob to SPS' date=' but am I wrong in thinking that a couple of the frags look upside-down?[/quote']

Nope not wrong. I have been wondering what this is going to do to the growth of those frags? I was hoping the pros would chime in.

P4261434.jpg

My frag seems to be mounted upside down as well. Looks like it is right about 10mm(1cm). Its in a 30 gallon cube 18x18x18, Viper 150w w/phoenix14k bulb(who knows how old), Simple rubber made sump(no chambers), 40lbs live rock in the display 10 or so pounds in the sump, unknown skimmer, eco plus 633 return, korallia 1050 power head. No dosing just 5 gallon water changes every three days. Not sure how long this frag is going to last for me. It has signs of covering the cut portion with skin but no polyp extension. Frag is placed high up with pretty heavy flow.

Im no pro but my guess is the frags that have been mounted uoside down are at a disadvantage. I suspect the frag will encrust the now top but the majority of growthwill be downward until it encrust the plug and then start "sprouting" new growth upwards.

Not a good situation unfortunately' not sure what to suggest.

They are not upside down. It is just the way the frags were cut as some of the frags were in the middle of the colony. It shouldn't matter as far as the growout as they grow from the base. Great job everyone getting your submissions in and it's not even May 1 yet!

They are not upside down. It is just the way the frags were cut as some of the frags were in the middle of the colony. It shouldn't matter as far as the growout as they grow from the base. Great job everyone getting your submissions in and it's not even May 1 yet!

Shouldn't the polyps be showing upward? The polyps on the frags in question seem to be pointing down

yea I'm 99% certain that mine is upside down. Like Rashaan pointed out the polyps should be facing up instead of down.

Anyways I forgot to do a system writeup.

Tanks is a 90 gallon with 20 gallon sump, lots of rock and lots of fish. A few koralia's and a skimmer. I dose elos omega and pro skim, do %10 water changes once a week and ignore any and all test kits. For lighting I have a 6 bulb ati sunpower t-5 fixture, it's awesome.

that was a mistake by me but when corals are fragged by mother nature they will grow upside down sideways or any other way as far as a dis-advantage time will tell but I doubt it if it has oppt growing parameters heck ive been told you should mount frags horizontal for maxium growth.

Well, we can call it an experiment as well. :D If those with upside down frags have poor growth, then I guess there will be something to gripe about. My frag was upside down as well. Personally, I have noticed that my frag is elongating a bit, the "head" is healing and there is a nub growing off of the side. So, looking at the other pictures, I don't think I have much to complain about. Besides, imagine the bragging rights if your frag ends up bigger with this supposed setback.

ahhhh thanks everyone. I don't think it will matter but will be curious to see how this plays out over the month of the contest.

Well' date=' we can call it an experiment as well. :D If those with upside down frags have poor growth, then I guess there will be something to gripe about. My frag was upside down as well. Personally, I have noticed that my frag is elongating a bit, the "head" is healing and there is a nub growing off of the side. So, looking at the other pictures, I don't think I have much to complain about. Besides, imagine the bragging rights if your frag ends up bigger with this supposed setback.[/quote']

LOL , I have to say everyone is being a good sport about this. That would be interesting if it seemed the upside down frags did better. Personally my goal is to simply keep something bad from happening to my frag before the contest is over!

Well' date=' we can call it an experiment as well. :D If those with upside down frags have poor growth, then I guess there will be something to gripe about. My frag was upside down as well. Personally, I have noticed that my frag is elongating a bit, the "head" is healing and there is a nub growing off of the side. So, looking at the other pictures, I don't think I have much to complain about. Besides, imagine the bragging rights if your frag ends up bigger with this supposed setback.[/quote']

LOL , I have to say everyone is being a good sport about this. That would be interesting if it seemed the upside down frags did better. Personally my goal is to simply keep something bad from happening to my frag before the contest is over!

LOL ' date=' I have to say everyone is being a good sport about this. That would be interesting if it seemed the upside down frags did better. Personally my goal is to simply keep something bad from happening to my frag before the contest is over![/quote']

Something bad has already happened to your frag.... It's in your tank instead of mine..(whistle)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Just wanted to through this out there, I just had a par test done on my tank and my grow out frag is siting right around 280-300 par just to gove some refferance as to how much light it is growing under =) would be interesting if any one else has an Idea of what the par is where they are growing their frags. Might be an interesting little tidbit =)