Official 2012 SPS Growout Thread! Contestants post here!

So I read the rules a few times and dont see anywhere that the required photo update requires the ruler to be included-(whistle)

I aint no quiter so here is my update-its the green one in the middle of course;

IMG_3955.jpg

Any chance you can make the frag in the picture? I can't see it.....(whistle)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Seriously people? Lol ?? What part of needing to use the official ruler did you miss? Did you think the ruler was supplied for other reasons? To measure other things? To place it other places?

Josh I was just being kind before because your frag was half way to dead!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

Seriously people? Lol ?? What part of needing to use the official ruler did you miss? Did you think the ruler was supplied for other reasons? To measure other things? To place it other places?

Josh I was just being kind before because your frag was half way to dead!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

Ground Rules:

The goal of this competition is to be both educational and fun. I am hopeful the winners will be able to share their "secrets" and truly see how different lighting, supplements, dosing, and tank parameters can make a difference in growth.

Rules and Guidelines for SPS GOC

1. Your first post must include a quick writeup of your system in the competition thread. Including tank size, flow, lighting, placement of the frag, equipment (ie calcium reactor, dosing, etc)

2. You will be required to post photo updates. The contest will start May 1. You will be required to post a photo update once a month. I will remind you of this when the time is soon to post. I know life gets busy and people go out of town so you have a 2 week window to post.You will have 7 days before and after the first of the month to post your update. If you cannot post during the required time please contact me and we can figure something out. You just have to let me know. If you do not contact me and you do not post up in the required time, you will be disqualified.

3. Please no cheating. This competition is meant to be fun and for bragging rights. It is going to a good cause (tanks for teachers and Parkinsons disease). Cheaters will be disqualified and banned from any future competitions.

4. The frags must remain on the original plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.

5. You must use the oh so expensive and official ruler that was handed out with your sps frag. If you do not use the correct ruler. You will be disqualified. If you lost or broke yours. I do have extras.

Not following the rules will cause you to be disqualified, I know that sounds harsh but it is out of fairness to the rest of the group. Remember a lot can happen in 4 months.

General Information:

Length of competition:

The competition will run for 4 months. That's right 4 months. ( Has everyone figured out now how long the contest will last? :) This will give us enough time for the frag to grow. A lot can happen in 4 months and a lot of people could drop out (it will be summer time) so if you are persistent, you have a chance to win a prize. This will give EVERYONE the same advantage\disadvantage with acclimation and so on. Pictures will be required frequently for updates.

To keep interest going, I will offer up prizes such as Roger's famous frag plugs in the interim with contests such as best trash talking, best write up, etc....

If for some strange reason there are more prizes than actual contestants at the end, I will do a raffle from all of the entries.

Judging a winner. Winner should be based off total growth. We need the measurement of your starting frag using the official ruler that was handed out to you, and then very simply the person with the most growth wins. If your frag was a 1/2 inch and your final length was 5 inches then 4.5 is the final length. No size jokes here please..(nono)(laugh) IF THERE IS A TIE, pictures will be posted (without names to prevent favoritism) for a vote ( by all the participants) of who they think the best frag is.\. Method of judgement is subject to change. Remember this is only the second sps GOC so we are still trying to determine the most fair way to determine the winner.

Remember this should be fun! Trash talking is encouraged and if you want to post more updates than the required ones feel free!

RickT

LcScott out 6/22/2012

Omarortiz out 7/25/2012

Emerald525/tanktop74

Mohaynow

Smann paid out 7/2012

Reefnjunkie

Noobtosalt

Derbird out 8/3/2012

Bigjohnwoody

Matty0206

Pnkrcklives out 5/7/2012

Jeramy

IslandofTiki

Bicyclebill

Kris

Hewey McLovit

J-Dog

Nelsz3 out 7/2012

Have fun and let the trash talking begin!(clap)(clap)

Lets not let this get out of hand! Can you please show me that part that says the photo thats required says that he ruler needs to be in that photo?

I think I must have missed that part, the part that says specificlly the ruler needs to be in the photo for each update(whistle)

Those are the rules as I read them-please read rule 2 slowly as it may be a little much to take in, also please read rule 5 even slower as I dont see mention where the ruler must accompany the photo referenced in rule #2

BAAAAAAAAAAAAA

There will be a ruler in the final picture, in the mean time dont hate the player(nono) -hate the game(naughty)

man my sarcasim runs deep

Sorry for the font, hey what can I say its from an IPadDOH!

Lol its funny how the other contestants can get the concept that updating means providing a picture with a ruler so we can get a measurement (scratch).

I'm typing slow for you Brad. :)

I didn't specifically say the photo update meant an update of a picture of a frag but somehow you got that concept and didn't post up an update of the latest Olympic results. (Although you may now) :)

I also did not specifically say the updated pictures of the frag should be right side up and not upside down and that it should be a frag of the green slimer. I also did not specifically say the ruler should be measuring the frag but I assumed those facts were obvious.(whistle)

Sorry Brad and Josh but I need a photo update with a ruler. Otherwise the boot is coming your way. Besides Josh, algae does not really count as live tissue... (whistle)

Tick tick tick you have until midnight.... :)

theboot.gif

Oh and since we are on the topic(or off ;) ).. Congratulations Misty May Treanor and Kerri Walsh and the less famous American team of Kessy and Ross competing for the Gold!(clap)

beachvolleyball.jpg

I'm in the same boat....no growth, only encrusting. I think I'm gonna move my frag to a different spot in my tank and see if I can get some vertical growth for the last month of the contest. DON'T COUNT ME OUT!.....by the way, my picture taking skills are getting worse, not better

IMG_2900.jpg

Anybody have any thoughts on getting more vertical growth? Less light? Mine is about 2 inches below the surface with 96 watts of T5 HO ATI bulbs above it. I could lower it down, but only by a couple inches.

Perhaps they grow up when they're trying to reach the light? When they have plenty, they grow out?

Anybody have any thoughts on getting more vertical growth? Less light? Mine is about 2 inches below the surface with 96 watts of T5 HO ATI bulbs above it. I could lower it down, but only by a couple inches.

Perhaps they grow up when they're trying to reach the light? When they have plenty, they grow out?

That can't be the case since I'm running LED's and have plenty of PAR where the frag is at. I checked it last month when I had the meeting here and it was close to 300-340 PAR in that area. I have a lot of SPS and I think I just finally got lucky this go around. I'm usually last place or there abouts in these growouts.

Brad has been joking but honestly I think Jesse's verticle growth was more of a fluke. No offense Jesse. If you look at most people's frags under LEDs, T5s etc most of us are getting similar growth in which we are having more encrusting than verticle growth. Many of you are actually getting good growth it's just the encrusting type and this contest was more about verticle growth. I don't know if it had anything to do with Jesse getting a frag that was more in the middle but I really think Jesse's frag is more of a freak of nature because it does almost look like the top part was grafted on to the base. Thanks Brad for following my implied rules.

Brad has been joking but honestly I think Jesse's verticle growth was more of a fluke. No offense Jesse. If you look at most people's frags under LEDs' date=' T5s etc most of us are getting similar growth in which we are having more encrusting than verticle growth. Many of you are actually getting good growth it's just the encrusting type and this contest was more about verticle growth. I don't know if it had anything to do with Jesse getting a frag that was more in the middle but I really think Jesse's frag is more of a freak of nature because it does almost look like the top part was grafted on to the base. Thanks Brad for following my implied rules.[/quote']

Everyone's a critic.....(laugh)

Ah you know I was just ****ing with ya

Yes Brad I know :).

Everyone's a critic.....(laugh)

LOL didn't mean anything negative it just honestly has a really strange growth pattern.

In the end whats it matter' date=' you get a nice chalice-I'm just shocked she called your frag a freak-(scary)[/quote']

Exactly I wish my frag was a freak of nature that TECO watermelon chalice is sweet. I have enjoyed having it in my tank. Wish it was staying!

Thanks for the reminder this morning Kim!!

I just got back in town... It looks like the wife didn't kill anything while I was gone (clap)

Mine has just about completely covered the plug... I only have a small sliver left to put the ruler on to get a decent measurement from. By next month I'll probably loose growth to encrusting

FragJuly.jpg

So 3-4mm total growth