RC down indefinitely...database lost

steveweast

hmmm must not have been very diligent in their backups. As a network admin myself, everything in our system is backed up 5 different ways each night and we keep 2 weeks worth of running backups plus a monthly one. I guess they didn't set it up as mission critical app

Anymore, information is the most valuable business commodity, not production of widgets...storage and organization of that info IS job #1...(nutty)

I, for one, cannot begin to fathom the valuable information lost...I literally used RC daily to research and learn. RC was the closest thing we had to "information central" in the reef keeping community.(scary)

My biggest gripe about researching reef topics is how scattered and spread out it is....there always seems to be too many sites and difficulty for me trying to sort through the noise. DOH!

Losing RC is like Luke losing Obi-Wan. From here on out, we'll just have to "use the force."(rock2)

DrMerle

Hello RC Members.

Sorry for the interruption. We'll be back in a little while, I need to check something.

To the folks spreading rumors and making up quotes, it's pretty sad when you have to resort to lying to try and get members.

Slander and libel are pretty serious things.

Cheers

Newest message on RC

Wow!

I would have hated seeing all that information vanish over night!

I'm glad it was resolved before I ever knew about it!

Makes you realize how easily the internet could go away without a trace, though.

We'd be back to research at the library! :D

Wow!

I would have hated seeing all that information vanish over night!

I'm glad it was resolved before I ever knew about it!

Makes you realize how easily the internet could go away without a trace, though.

We'd be back to research at the library! :D

*POOF!*:eek:(scary)(scratch):D

...and back to snail mail & phone calls

A similar event happened to Nano-reef. They were down for a day for database error, and lost the last two weeks of posts. They backed up to the July 1 storage.

How well is our database backed up?

d

dsoz,When did this happen? I was trying to find a reply to a post about a skimmer the other night & there was a whole page of reply's deleted.That must have been where my reply went.

A similar event happened to Nano-reef. They were down for a day for database error, and lost the last two weeks of posts. They backed up to the July 1 storage.

How well is our database backed up?

d

I believe our website is very secure. Our Webmaster, Rob Allen, backs up databases professionally for a living.

dsoz' date='When did this happen? I was trying to find a reply to a post about a skimmer the other night & there was a whole page of reply's deleted.That must have been where my reply went.[/quote']

I think it was the 14. they lost 13 days of threads. I wondered if it's an attack. seems odd that both sites ended up with corrupted databases in the same week.

I believe our website is very secure. Our Webmaster' date=' Rob Allen, backs up databases professionally for a living.[/quote']

Hopefully backups are moved offsite and into a secured location. As a DBA (Database Admin) I can appreciate the importance of backup routines and TESTING those routines on a regular basis :)

Another site I work with has been hacked multiple times and we have lost weeks of data multiple times. It does take some time to back up a large forum, smart hackers now how to make things more difficult it seems.

Last time that site was hacked the FBI got involved, it was nuttz!

Its sad that a few sites and people that dislike RC took advantage of the situation to spread lies and propaganda.

I like this club more than RC, but its an invaluable resource no matter who owns/manages it.

Its amazing how some people can hold some grudges.