Why Run a Calcium Reactor

TheClark

Why Run a Calcium Reactor  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Why Run a Calcium Reactor http://www.pnwmas.org/public/style_images/Images_PNWMAS_Master/accept.png

• Ease of Maintenance
    • Stability
    • Cost
    • Improved Growth
    • I use 2 part instead
    • I only do water changes

I know from google lots of reasons, but it is more interesting to me to hear what local people say.  People I have met with, seen their tanks, known their experience and success.

So, why do you run it?  I am very interested in things like

"My sps growth doubled"

"Colors improved"

"It crashed my tank"

"2 part crashed my tank"

Etc..

Good calcium reactor advice for selection/setup/disaster prevention?

I am all ears....

(This is my first attempt at setting up a poll, let's see if it works)

Edited by theclark

Calcium has also been proven to improve aquarium health. The mineral cations found in calcium improves the overall "balance" of the tank. While detritus and other such as conditioners are harming long-term health of the tank, the calcium is improving it.

The use if calcium reactors

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumKH.html#kalkwasser

A aquarium "balance"

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/Redox_Potential.html

• Like 1

My main reasons are:

1. Easy - depending on the tank load, media can last 6+ months. You don't need to refill anything, just keep the reactor running and life's good. It doses equally so no adjusting alk/cal individually (unless something else gets things out of balance). Also, depending on the size of your co2 tank, one fill can last up to a year or more.

2. Adds extra trace elements not found in 2 part. As I've found from my nutrient stripping escapade, extra nutrients are a good thing if you have a good system to control them (without rapid depletion).

3. If done properly, no rapid swings. Things may drift up or down but it's usually gradual if you set things up properly. Makes it easy to re-adjust and let things come back to normal.

4. Control via probe. I know not everyone uses them, but regardless, you can make easy adjustments to your set points in your controller. Since you run apex, this means you could do it remotely if you were gone. With the current age of testing upon us, I think this could become an even more valuable feature in the future.

Cost is not in its favor, but it's really just the initial investment. A bag of reborn media cost like $30 and a co2 fill is about the same. So you can figure after the equipment, that's your operating cost every 6mo to a year.

That's my 2 cents, I like mine a lot!

Edited by Blue Z Reef
  • Like 1

I am indeed thinking about it!

"Good calcium reactor advice for selection/setup/disaster prevention"

Are you setting one up?

To bad you can't edit, it would be nice to see 2-part dosing is simply inferior
:)

I am indeed thinking about it!  Wondering if it is worth the trouble, what could I expect to gain.  

Simply inferior is a great start but more details from the SPS master please  :fingerscrossed:

Ah, good one!  Too late to edit  :nono:  :nono:   :)

Oh Man , So Funny.

I have a reactor and was going to put it into service but while at the meet with Scott Fellman he had mentioned he is not a fan of a reactor and relies on dosing for his 20 foot by 4 foot frag tanks. I talked a bit with him and did a little research on his and others systems and am now on the fence again. I am usually a guy that does not fix wich is not broken so as you would guess I am still dosing but at this point I am in the pool of people who see they are both right paths to choose, many ways to skin a cat so too speak.

I am hoping at the end of this little pole and the experienced\opinionated responses I will have a more solid decision...I do trust you guys.

I did keep the reactor and CO2 tank after all.

Oh Man , So Funny.

I have a reactor and was going to put it into service but while at the meet with Scott Fellman he had mentioned he is not a fan of a reactor and relies on dosing for his 20 foot by 4 foot frag tanks. I talked a bit with him and did a little research on his and others systems and am now on the fence again. I am usually a guy that does not fix wich is not broken so as you would guess I am still dosing but at this point I am in the pool of people who see they are both right paths to choose, many ways to skin a cat so too speak.

I am hoping at the end of this little pole and the experienced\opinionated responses I will have a more solid decision...I do trust you guys.

I did keep the reactor and CO2 tank after all.

Great point BadX.  With DSR and Triton on the scene, many more than ever are not using calcium reactors.  It is a good point, one that has been swaying me.  Also, I have seen some amazing tanks that were two part.  Makes it tough to decide.  It seems the best of the best SPS tanks do run them, at least from people I have seen around here and TOTM articles.

Edited by theclark

That's why I am staying tuned, best choice is to soak up as much knowledge as possible and choose what seems best for my particular needs\system. I almost want to set it up on a tank that is not my display just to have some first hand opinion on the subject but I am lacking a nice controller of any kind.

• Like 1

Cost is not in its favor, but it's really just the initial investment. A bag of reborn media cost like $30 and a co2 fill is about the same. So you can figure after the equipment, that's your operating cost every 6mo to a year.

Funny, cost is why I am switching. My LFS stopped carrying the 2 part I like in larger bottles, so with the smaller bottles and the amount I dose (100mL daily) it would cost me $4 a day to continue to dose 2 part, which works out to $1460 a year. So the calcium reactor way would save me about... oh... 1300 a year. 

• Like 1

Funny, cost is why I am switching. My LFS stopped carrying the 2 part I like in larger bottles, so with the smaller bottles and the amount I dose (100mL daily) it would cost me $4 a day to continue to dose 2 part, which works out to $1460 a year. So the calcium reactor way would save me about... oh... 1300 a year.

Haha well I guess you have a point there. Just saying, a lot of hobbyists cringe at the initial investment instead of looking at the long term payback. Dosers are a lot cheaper than a reactor, feed pump, co2 tank and reg, ph probe/monitor...however the op cost is definitely a benefit after the investment!

Plus there is the "I make my own 2 part" folk swinging the 2 part cost scales...

• Like 1

2-part dosing is getting much more popular due to the surge in sales of nano tanks...I like dosing, even on a larger system, it makes my daily routine seem much more scientific.

Aquabats Doing Science video

yeah... we all got a little bit of mad scientist in us...

I would click the Like button on that, but there are too many good posts on here today and I have reached my quota of being able to like things here. lol

Edited by JManrow
  • Like 1

In going back with a large system dosing can get pretty expensive and more time consuming. We had gallon bottles on our old system and used a sister and dosed calcium mag and alk. You have to remember to change out the bottles from time to time. Initially a calcium reactor is expensive but a good one is worth the investment. Once it is dialed in it is very low cost and maintenance. I had all kind of problems with the regulator going out on the first one but once I got a new reputable one I never had issues. It takes some time. If you are going to have a lot of sps and clams they will suck up the calcium so usually water changes aren't enough. With a softie tank doing routine water changes is all you really need. I helped maintain the pioneer school tank and Beth maintained her work tank and it thrives with simple water changes.

I started listing the reasons for a reactor but the reasons are already on the web. Both methods work (dosing vs reactor) I just find the reactor to be less hands on and more reliable as in less likely to fail-my apex is able to be programmed to catch more out of line readings.

I also believe you get more benefit from melting coral skeletons than some man made powder. I remember reading about a build up of "something" over the years when dosing-it's been to many years so I don't recall exactly but since I've used both methods I find the reactor easier and less hands on.

I'm not sure if it's my media or my salt but I don't have to dose mag either. I doubt it's my salt since I only do a water change of about 50 gallons every month or two at the most unless I'm treating for cyno or some other user error like my doser dosing a 5 month supply of amino acids in 48 hours-that was a treat.

I hate dosers for me they are less idiot proof.

I find a common "factor" in reading those threads "my tank crashed and I lost everything" being "dosing" wether it's Kalk, Alk or whatever.

Like Robert said there are many ways to skin a cat, for me my tool for skinning is a reactor

Off topic..... Robert you get my text about the acans??

Edited by reefnjunkie

Yes I did get the Text and thank you. 

On another note I have to go with the DIY method of dosing as I go through well over a gallon every month, it's not actually too much cost wise.

Robert has 30 something tanks in his house. The only feasible thing for him to do is to walk around from tank to tank with the dosing flask. Or does is that your wife's job, Robert? :-) That's an advantage to using 2-part. It works great if you have a single 100 gallon tank, but it isn't feasible to run multiple reactors for most people. It isn't that tough to manually dose 2-part to a bunch of tanks.