Reefer 250 vs waterbox 70.3

CrazyInside

I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about the new waterbox series and I’m in the market for adding another tank. Even got the SO’s approval 😳😂

So what do you guys think. I’m looking for a 3 foot tank and narrowed it down to the 250 or the 70.3. 

Pluses on the reefer is it has a new sump for a refugium, and also most of our local fish stores do discounts on the reefer systems.

waterboxs I’ve been hearing a lot of good things since the new reworks, not sure if our locals run any kind of deals on them though. 

99% of the people on this forum are more experciance than me so what’s your input between the two?

Side note is I also want the the whit cabinet which the reefer charged extra for and waterbox doesn’t. 

I’ve not seen a water box in person yet but I own a reefer 170 and had a 625xxl in the past. So I’ll give you my personal opinion on the Red Sea setups. They are very easy to plumb but I’ve not been able to get my 170 dialed in so I’ll be changing to a gate valve instead of the one Red Sea sends.
I’ve seen people say the stands suck but I’m very pleased with mine, no rust on the hinges, comes with the sound deadening mat for under the sump which is a nice touch.
The glass is very nice quality and seems are done [language filter] near perfectly.
Honestly my only complaint is the valve they use for overflow is junk. The new sump designs are much nicer too.
Hope it helps and congrats on the soon to be new tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I own a Reefer XL 425.  While I really like it, there are some features on the Waterbox Reef product line that I would like to have:

• Leveling feet on the cabinet
  • Gate valve on the overflow
  • Dual nozzles on the return line

The 70.3 is in their Marine product line, so not sure if it has these same features as the Reef line.  

2 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

I currently have both. Reefer 170 and waterbox 190.5

i like the waterbox better. Plumbing is great compared to red sea. Cabinet quality is better on the red sea. All glass overflow on the waterbow is awesome. You can’t go wrong either way imo

That 190 is beautiful and I wish the 70.3 came with that reactor plumbing already installed. That would probably sell me right there. 

My only concern is I don’t see a splitter for the 70.3 to make a refugium. 

If cabinet quality is better on the red sea that must mean the water box cabinet is less than Ikea garbage, cause that's about the quality of the red sea. Either way I'd get a custom cabinet made. One way to upgrade the red sea cabinet is go to Park Rose hardware and buy better cam locks, red sea are thin pot metal junk. I do like the removable weir on red sea vs. the glass on water box. Red sea metric plumbing for US bound tanks is stupid since they are made in China anyway. Just my opinion for owning 2 red sea tanks

Edited by CrabbyCrabs

12 hours ago, CrazyInside said:

Also does anyone know if any local shops do discounts on the waterboxes like the reefers?

If your looking to get a Waterbox send me a pm, we do carry them and help you out with your request :)

• Like 1

I had horrible customer service with red sea. They don't know what packaging for shipping is. They take forever to get anything from. And they hassle you for a receipt even though you already registered the item which includes a photo or whatever of the receipt. Why register with a receipt if they are going to ask for it every time you contact them, same goes for dealing with AI lights.

I have no experience with the waterboxs but can vouch for redseas.  I have a 170 and after it was tuned in it because dead silent.  The glass is crystal clear and stand is solid as a rock.

The only thing I would like is a built in fuge area but it sounds like the one your looking at has that already 

Good luck on your build