What light should I get???

Paratore

So I'm starting to plan my build super far in advance (about 5 months) to make sure I get everything perfect! I'm going to be picking up a 45 JBJ this next week. And they start collecting equipment. I am not sure what light I want to run above it yet and need some input! I'm very tempted to spend a little extra and buy a nice controllable LED, but I've also had good success with my OR T-247s. I plan for it to be a mixed reef with my focus more on anemones, LPS, and zoas. A few sticks here and there but not a lot. The tank is 26.5 x 21 x 19.

With all that being said, what light would you recommend??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will keep a little bit of SPS, just some of my favorite. Not a lot though. Mostly gonna do LPS and zoas!

I do love me LEDs, that's all I've ever used! I'm almost leaning more that way for this build. But still not 100% sure yet.

• Like 1

I have a 6 bulb T5 fixture and it supports my 3 anemones. I am also growing SPS on the sand, which is 24" down.

I have not had good luck with Ocean Revive fixtures myself so I would steer away from there IME.

what T5 fixture are you using?

Atis in my opinion are the best t5 lights. They have great reflectors which give you excellent par. I got incredible growth of my sps when we had an ati. Isaac aka Mandinga has my old light. I'm going back to them. Not all t5s are equal the powermodule is the best but has the nice price tag but comes with leds too. I am going to get an ati sunpower for my next setup and those are a little cheaper.

• Like 2

Good thread, there are almost a ridiculous number of choices now.

I will throw one in the mix for your research.

sbreeflights

I bought the retro kit and popped a board into one of my old d120s.

The color is good, coral still seems happy.  I haven't seen amazing or terrible results.  

Read more here on why they think their lights are great:

https://sbreeflights.com/content/7-faq

• Like 1

Good thread, there are almost a ridiculous number of choices now.

I will throw one in the mix for your research.

sbreeflights

I bought the retro kit and popped a board into one of my old d120s.

The color is good, coral still seems happy. I haven't seen amazing or terrible results.

Read more here on why they think their lights are great:

https://sbreeflights.com/content/7-faq

I was actually just looking at those the other day! I have an old reef star that is going bad and have been thinking of buying the upgrade for "black boxes". I am pretty temped to upgrade the reef star and run that over the new tank. Not to bad for a $70 upgrade. How long have you been running the SB light?

If I did go the T5 route, would it keep an anemone alive and happy?

Also are there any other decent fixtures other than ATI?

I have been using the Aquatic LIfe 4 bulb T5 on my 20 long the past 3 years. It is this model:

http://www.aquaticlife.com/light-fixtures/four-lamp-t5-ho

I use ATI bulbs in it (2 blue+ and 2 coral+). Everything has grown very well under it. I have 3 RBTA's basking in it right now (all split from the one RBTA that I first got 2 years ago). It does not have the individual reflectors, they are curved for each bulb using a single reflector. To be honest the par is a little too much for this shallow of a tank but 19" would be perfect. Right now I have to put my torch corals on the bottom and to the very edges of the tank because it is too much but the SPS are in the middle and love it.

I am planning a 30x30x12 tank over the next few months and thinking of going Kessil 360we. I really like the shimmer but I understand growth will not be the best but I am OK with that. The aquatic life 4 bulb should be cheap to get a hold of (I know they were blowing them out on their website last month for ~ $150). Obviously with T5 you have to replace the bulbs every year so that is around $80 per year. If you want hit me up in 5 months time and if I am not using mine maybe we can work out a trade.