What light should I get???

Paratore

For zoa and lps you have lots of choices, almost any fixture you pick up will do to grow lps and zoa.

You also have to take into consideration that many lps corals now days come from very deep water so fixture with heavy blue spectrum will be needed to keep them.

Other than LED fixture you will have interval cost of bulb/s replacement.

In regards to Ocean Revive, they are great units and serve the purpose for the price point. I have used it and no complain from me. This situation is true with other brand of china led units.

It is not specific to OR, all china brand led units will have major variance within the brand itself because china made diodes are mass produced without binning / qc.

For this reason of spectrum variance one person will have diff experience of success than another person given the same brand and model.

Bo is coming up with cree unit that suppose to address these service factor issue and spectrum variance issue.

• Like 3

I agree with Bowen tho.. I wanted a nano box BADDD before I got my prime which I'm beyond satisfied with.

Nanoboxs are great LEDs and the ability to customize the casing is pretty sweet IMO.

Lol I was sooooo set on buying a nanobox but the price difference between prime and NB is a lot so I went with the prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Alright let's take this conversation in a slightly different direction and make it a T5 vs LED talk. Not fixtures but solely the lighting types and what you prefer. [emoji4]

I've always had LEDs myself and have had fairly good success with them. But I know some people rave about their T5 fixtures. So let's hear it, what do you prefer and why. We've touched on the topic by haven't dived into it yet in this thread. Also the cons and pros you have noticed would be awesome. :)

Edited by Paratore

Lol I was sooooo set on buying a nanobox but the price difference between prime and NB is a lot so I went with the prime.

NB isn't cheap but having had a Prime I must say ,the Nano Box blows it out the water.The mount is also included in the price so you do save the $30  bucks that the Prime  mount costs and Dave is great to work with. Glad you are happy with the Prime though.They are pretty sweet.

• Like 1

NB isn't cheap but having had a Prime I must say ,the Nano Box blows it out the water.The mount is also included in the price so you do save the $30 bucks that the Prime mount costs and Dave is great to work with. Glad you are happy with the Prime though.They are pretty sweet.

I'll probably buy NB when I move [emoji4]

• Like 1

Alright let's take this conversation in a slightly different direction and make it a T5 vs LED talk. Not fixtures but solely the lighting types and what you prefer. [emoji4]

I've always had LEDs myself and have had fairly good success with them. But I know some people rave about their T5 fixtures. So let's hear it, what do you prefer and why. We've touched on the topic by haven't dived into it yet in this thread. Also the cons and pros you have noticed would be awesome. :)

That's a whole other thread Cody! :laugh:  At least we don't hear much about the T5 metal halide debate anymore... :rolleyes:

whale_zps5qb55l41.png

• Like 1

That's a whole other thread Cody! :laugh:  At least we don't hear much about the T5 metal halide debate anymore... :rolleyes:

whale_zps5qb55l41.png

The Debate ended with the T5/Halide Hybrids! :)

This thread is starting to look like a Nano-Reef thread, so many Nano Box Fanboys over there, I just always wondered if they were the "End All" final solution light why is there always so many available in the classified threads. It doesn't help that as of recent I'm seeing a huge shift back to T5's it appears many who saw previous growth results with Halides & T5's are having trouble replicating that success with LED, I personally moved back after 6 years as well.

• Like 1

I have a 30x30x18 cube so I got the at 25" 8 bulb dimmable. I am not looking forward to the $150 a year on bulb replacement.... but everything in my tank has exploded growth wise in the 3 months that I have been running the light.

sent from a Samsung note 4

• Like 3

The Debate ended with the T5/Halide Hybrids! :)

This thread is starting to look like a Nano-Reef thread, so many Nano Box Fanboys over there, I just always wondered if they were the "End All" final solution light why is there always so many available in the classified threads. It doesn't help that as of recent I'm seeing a huge shift back to T5's it appears many who saw previous growth results with Halides & T5's are having trouble replicating that success with LED, I personally moved back after 6 years as well.

Nanobox has great customer service which goes a long way. We also have great customer service here with Reefstar and Ocean Revive,  I just haven't been sold on LEDs yet. With everything being equal (electricity cost, not changing out bulbs, heat, bulb expense) I think most people would have stayed with metal halides and T5s.   I'm going to an ATI t5. Some people will add a few leds and the newer ATI PM have them  but I'm happy with just straight T5 lights.

I love the LEDs that I use as motion detectors outside my house because those were quite the pain to set up and I have no desire to change those out :blush: .. Thanks MattV for doing that for me! :applause:

• Like 1

I have a 30x30x18 cube so I got the at 25" 8 bulb dimmable. I am not looking forward to the $150 a year on bulb replacement.... but everything in my tank has exploded growth wise in the 3 months that I have been running the light.

sent from a Samsung note 4

Do you use ATI?

I kind of crack up when people get all

'you cannot have a nice SPS tank with LEDs'  

I am surrounded by the greats like ReefnJunkie, Stylaster, Danik, and Saltwater Newbie who do.  

Just to name a few, there are many more.

Did you guys see Danik's tank when he tore it down. Hands down one of the nicest I have ever seen, simply amazing and I got there late after allot was already sold off.

Have you all seen ReefnJunkies thread?  Been to his house?  All LED, all amazing.  Oregon tort so beautiful it would make a grown man cry.

What about zoas?  Seen Mr Bret and Softy's tank?  I would be hard pressed to say I have ever seen such nice zoas and they are oh so prolific.

Finally I have to ask... anyone seen Roy's tank lately?  I would call his colonies more like forests.  He put up a video, it gives an idea but you really have to see this 5' x 5' cube in person to appreciate the size.

https://www.facebook.com/roy.seine/videos/10208538081627135/

Dunno, seems sometimes when people are having trouble keeping coral they go after the lights but IMO often times the chemistry and feeding and pests deserve just as much attention.

So for what its worth Cody, based on actual results with real people who live in the northwest...  Real people who's tanks I have seen...

you most certainly can have a tank like Danik or Roy with LEDs, no doubt about it.  Is that good enough?  Many would emphatically say yes and strive to be that successful.

There are many other greats on our local forum who's tanks I have seen with the same results on a smaller scale.

I love technology and experimenting, so the debate is all good.  Debate make us learn more, experiment more, become better reefkeepers.  All that is good to.

However though, please don't let someone convince you cannot have an amazing tank with LEDs!  Many great tanks right out of our own forum would disagree.

Good luck in your decision process, it ain't easy!

• Like 6

Thank you for the write up Jeremy! So much good info in there. I am a LED believer for sure. I've been using them for the last year and I've had great results. I'm mostly just trying to see if it's work giving T5s a shot or to stick with what I know. I think in the end I'll go with LEDs. But like the said, the decision is hard! Even after you "narrow" it down to just LEDs haha!

Well the other thing to note is not all LEDS or T5 fixtures are equal.  Like most things you get what you paid for.

The first LED I got was the chinese fixture and it was terrible. I ended up with green hair algae. They have improved. I just prefer the colors I get out of T5s and the spread and I am the type of person who feels like if it isn't broke don't fix it. I still miss my Blackberry and think the Iphone is overated except for some of the apps that I can get. I have an Iphone because there were specific apps I wanted but miss the keyboard on my BLackberry. The stupid autocorrect button drives me nuts by the way! Excuse me iphone I have been typing most of my life. I think I know what I'm trying to say! :cussing:

:backtotopic:

There is no question that you can do well with any light and yes Brad's tank and Danik's tank are amazing but they were amazing when he was using T5's too. Rudy almost had me sold on the Onyx because he gets great color and growth and has awesome looking sps. 

However you have to be careful with the chinese ones like Rudy has stated.  Here's an interesting article on Reefbuilders. The key is getting a good quality light.

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/03/15/jebao-ak-60-matrix-led-is-a-direct-copy-of-kessils-a360-spotlights/

• Like 1

My new build is going to be a T5/LED DIY.  I think the blues from the LED and the shimmer make the best moonlight, and supplement T5 lights well.  Going with a Evergrow2040 w/ 2 24" T5 ATI bulbs on each side.  I personally can't justify the cost of a Powermodule, plus the bulbs each year.  Although I do think the ATI is the best SPS light around hands down.

• Like 1