Electrokate's tank

Electrokate

Hi Kate! It's good to see you online again with pics of your beautiful tank. If you would like to be notified of upcoming meetings and events, PM me your e-mail address and you will be added to the PNWMAS Evite list!

All nine of the Opae'ula made it through our move to Sherwood during 100F+ weather in August, and are doing great. :)

• 3 months later...

Thanks! They have mates too, and do spawn. Some day I will figure out why nobody breeds wrasses, the hard way. I have a long standing tradition of taking on projects that resemble banging my head on the wall, breeding marine fish can't be that much different.

If you haven't talked to Dave Durr, aka Barelycuda, you should, he's got a Clownhouse that's unreal, I'm gettin my first eye's on look at it Saturday morning. He breeds several different kinds of clowns and could possibly offer you some advice on dealing with the wrasses or point you in the right direction for doing so.

Thanks for the tip, would love to talk to him. I could use a start of rotifers too.

Here is a fish that some people won't like seeing...

4669685601_83b623b9eb_b.jpg

4669685551_0066afd61b_b.jpg

I have two of them. That one is Eliza, the smart one. Jack is also a girl unfortunately. Jack only has half a file and is more lucky than smart. Anyone know what book I got their names from?

I am looking for a couple males if anyone sees them in a shop. Don't want to order them, might end up with more females and Jack is kinda crabby about sharing the food as it is.

So far I have had 3 out of 3 of these take food. Lost the first one to ich a few years ago. To get them eating you have to feed a lot-like 6 or 7 times a day. After that you can cut back to only 4 or 5 feedings a day. (:

• 2 months later...

August 2010 pictures:

reef046a.jpg

reef052.jpg

reef013.jpg

reef058a.jpg

and one of his mates:

reef065a.jpg

reef056.jpg

reef033b.jpg

Been having cyano troubles but started rinsing all frozen food a couple weeks ago before feeding, and there is noticable improvment. Also got a Seachem phosphate test which showed phosphate in the tap water and double that in newly made Instant Ocean. Switching to ESV 3 part salt, added phosphate remover to the 120. Reduced algae in the 55 which has no phosphate remover makes me thing the rinsing is what is helping.

Kate

Thanks, I am kinda depressed though. The Melanurus wrasse and his mates were looking ready to spawn yesterday. Today I found the female in that last set of pictures on the floor. She was much thinner, so I guess they did spawn and somehow she got through the eggcrate. Seems like she was way too big for that... She was a really pretty one for a female.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a nice Radiant Wrasse from Nick/Rose City for the 55. Great fish, not so great picture...

4974550690_845b730277_b.jpg

This copperband has been in there a couple months. It prefers home made fish food over aiptasia. Grrr... Yeah I know it had something on the tail. It's gone the next day so not lympho. Probably just detritus from it's favorite hole in the rock wall.

4974550548_feba53a7dd_b.jpg

Here's a current shot of the female filefish. Thought I had 2 females, but the bigger skinnier hyper mean one is sorta starting to show spots on the flap fin, indicating it's male. Can't get a decent picture of it unfortunately, it never stops racing around the tank flicking it's fins when it sees me... it's always begging for food and then defending it.

4973935601_8043615781_b.jpg

Don't think I posted this one yet, it's from right after I calibrated my lens. Probably should have done that a while ago (: Now I need a monitor calibration tool of some kind, my monitor driver and/or Windows 7 is jacking the color around so I can't tell if my pictures need altering.

4943974246_13e4905019_b.jpg

Here are a couple more shots:

Rented a lens last weekend so I could take full tank shots, most of which were soft... grr.

4976165580_b09a5591f1_b.jpg

Could be worse, I could have bought it (: With the my lens:

4975551997_8a489d5c12_b.jpg

Frag. Ok well formerly a frag, now kinda getting to just be a colony.

4943380885_27018a71f1_b.jpg

Got a pink birdsnest on a golf tee twice that size which was a frag a couple months ago. Man am I lazy.

Smaller frag:

4943381731_a4977f4901_b.jpg

Going to trade this one for a smaller one pretty soon, it's getting out of control:

4975552141_716ff40925_b.jpg

Also getting to be a bit much with all the sps, but I can move it to the 55:

4976165498_38a21d35c8_b.jpg

Here's a mad grower from Upscales, which I think is the same as the ORA green and orange birdsnest:

4975580359_9f99f7fc56_b.jpg

Note the acid green cyano, the reason I have held all my frags. Don't want to share that love. It's getting better since I started rinsing the fish food, and am switching to ESV salt instead of Instant Ocean, and I have to say phosphate certainly has not prevented my coral from growing at a ridiculous rate. Or maybe the algae get the phosphate before the coral do. I tried a phosphate absorber and the phosphate went up so will try another brand of that.

Actually not sure it is cyano. Probably ought to put it under a microscope to be sure. Snails and fish eat it, and erythromycin does not.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

That is funny, yeah I worked at Extreme Marine... that was interesting. Had no marine experience to speak of and everyone would take off and leave me there, with no prices or names on the tanks. Probably cost them a bundle in sales. Met some really great people though.

What is your real name? Mine's Kate Breimayer for the record... Is your screen name related to J-roc of Trailer Park Boys? That would be really funny since that show kinda reminds me of people I knew in Oly, who shall remain nameless. This is not Jay Rasmussen is it? He had a great tank.

Kate