Electrokate's tank

Electrokate

hey how did you fix my post? (: Thanks!

I am actually thinking of donating the RO unit back to the club, I keep flooding the floor and not convinced it's needed. But I might just bypass the RO part of it and give somebody the membrane, as I think the prefilter, 2 carbon blocks and DI resin are probably plenty of filtration. With our utilities pushing 300 a month I really need to not make them any worse unless it's necessary.

think I figured out the pic thing...

PICT0084-L.jpg"]PICT0084-L.jpg[/url]

PICT0089a-L.jpg"]PICT0089a-L.jpg[/url]

PICT0095-L.jpg"]PICT0095-L.jpg[/url]

PICT0089b-L.jpg"]PICT0089b-L.jpg[/url]

PICT0102a-L.jpg"]PICT0102a-L.jpg[/url]

post-1690-14186776106_thumb.jpg

post-1690-141867761064_thumb.jpg

post-1690-141867761069_thumb.jpg

post-1690-141867761077_thumb.jpg

post-1690-141867761081_thumb.jpg

I was trying to put a photo of bryopsis on the glass of a quarantine tank I had. I quarantine everything. Rocks, snails, plants all of it. Never sorry I did either, only when I didn't. (: I have a blue tang that got sick after I did not quarantine a wrasse (which died within an hour of adding it). This blue tang has had what looks like ich for well over a year. Have to tear the tank down to get him out and treat him too. None of the other fish are sick though. Wish I had quarantined that wrasse, that's how I learned my lesson.

068-L.jpg"]068-L.jpg[/url]

6 bulbs, currently 2 ATI blue plus, 2 ATI purple plus, 1 GE 6500K and 1 ATI aquablue special. They are all pretty much expired so soon will be replaced, probably will do another blue plus instead of the aquablue special. These photos were top down or from the top and side shots using an underwater camera, the tops of the corals where the light hits are definitely more colorful than they look from the normal front view. I ran this tank with 4 bulbs for at least a year, and upgraded to 6 about half a year ago. Don't think it made much difference. I get a little better results with photos. Fixtures I use are from "indoor gardening" shops as I like their reflectors and bulb spacing better than most aquarium lights. Can't complain about the price either (: So yeah, I grew SPS in a 120 gallon tank with 4 T5HO bulbs, granted ATI bulbs with high par but that is not much light. I don't think the tridacnid clam is doing much growing but the corals grow right into eachother.

I think the RO unit is probably necessary in some places where people have bad wells or city water, gave the last one I had to a friend who had a well with over 80ppm nitrates and unbelievable phosphates in it. I think the prefilter is awesome though, it's disgustingly coated with brown sludge after only 200 gallons. 5 micron carbon block also great. Seriously could probably ditch the actual RO part and use the prefilters and Di to good effect, if i fill a 5 gallon bucket with tap water it's sort of a greenish tan color from all the tannins in Bull Run and who knows what all else, adding tannish greenish water to my reef kinda bothers me. But I think it's obviously not harming corals. I do accept a certain amount of algae in the tanks that others might not be able to live with. And I can't keep an Oregon Tort alive for more than a few days. Even when I did not know the city switched to chloramine I was doing 20% weekly water changes with chlorine neutralizer and no fish or coral were lost. I used the wrong neutralizer on tap water for a whole year at least.

094-L.jpg"]094-L.jpg[/url]

076-L.jpg"]076-L.jpg[/url]

Here is a current shot of the 55, which is lit by 2 bulbs. ATI Blue Plus and ATI Purple Plus. I gave the filefish to a breeder, which was really sad but I need to get a job and can't be here to feed them 5 times a day. Hopefully she will breed them. Funny how the xenia and tree corals seem more spread and open since they were moved out... think filefish will eat soft corals too.

191-L.jpg"]191-L.jpg[/url]

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys... I cut that toadstool way back about 6 weeks ago and it's already touching the front and back again. Kinda crazy. I had a 3 tank propagation system going stuffed with frags but sadly it and the 2 quarantines crashed last week. I had a birdsnest in the softie tank (was hoping the copperband would clear the majanos off) and that died too. Things got so bad I called Vulcan Veterinary Services, Dr Corcoran came out and now I am treating the fish in the frag system for two protozoan parasites and a bacterial infection. Turns out I was not careful enough with the quarantine bit. On the plus side, having a real vet solve your problem instead of people guessing on forums and then buying expired drugs at fish stores, well there is no comparison. On the minus side I have to give my seahorse shots.

Thanks guys... I cut that toadstool way back about 6 weeks ago and it's already touching the front and back again. Kinda crazy. I had a 3 tank propagation system going stuffed with frags but sadly it and the 2 quarantines crashed last week. I had a birdsnest in the softie tank (was hoping the copperband would clear the majanos off) and that died too. Things got so bad I called Vulcan Veterinary Services' date=' Dr Corcoran came out and now I am treating the fish in the frag system for two protozoan parasites and a bacterial infection. Turns out I was not careful enough with the quarantine bit. On the plus side, having a real vet solve your problem instead of people guessing on forums and then buying expired drugs at fish stores, well there is no comparison. On the minus side I have to give my seahorse shots.[/quote']

yeah its amaizing how fast they can grow.

I herd about your tanks, kim and beth were talling about it on thw way to the meeting hope everythong gets back to normal soon