Electrokate's tank

Electrokate

• 7 months later...

Yay my husband's AEUAD seems to be in remission, am adding a frag tank to my basement. Don't have that yet but here are some pics from last year I did not post yet... I am trying out smugmug too so this post might have a lot of edits.

ORA misbar black ocellaris female.

female%20black%20ocellaris%20082510-L.jpg

This pic shows the purple polyps on the pink birdsnest I have pretty well.

reef%20010-L.jpg

Purple and green acan bought from Perry when Ocean in a Box was still in his garage:

reef%20026-L.jpg

This is why I don't keep a whole lot of LPS:

001-L.jpg

AEUAD=Aquarium Equipment Upgrade Aversion Disorder, it's common to spouses in this hobby. Most unfortunate.

Clark Kent monti frag. Yeah it might turn into a Superman if the conditions are right... or it might not.

reef%20028-L.jpg

Baby blue and green favites from Rose City

reef%20111b-L.jpg

Sunset mushrooms. Sold some of these to Rose City. The are in low light here but in the right conditions are mostly orange and red with green specks, the reverse of how they are now

060110%20045-L.jpg

Nice pictures Kate. I love black and white ocellaris. They are feisty though. Sorry your husband suffers from AEUAD but in the end it is cheaper otherwise you will end up with a coral crack house like ours! (laugh)

Oh don't worry, it's getting there... I think he steered me toward buying a tiny house on purpose. With no garage I might add. And like I said it's in remission, he wants me to get a frag tank (: Course his hope is I will start selling stuff and make at least as much as I spend. I'll probably put some things on ebay since most of what I have the club people already have too, local market seems tapped out.

This whole frags in the sand deal is not working out. They keep getting buried.

frags-in-sand-010611-080-L.jpg

This got too big so I took it to Nick's and started growing a frag of it. Which is now bigger than this was, in one year.

birdsnest-colonies-002-L.jpg

This stuff also growing like mad. A few years ago it was the size of a lentil, 4 polyps. I posted a growth progression of it in the beggininngg of this thread. Color is much better now.

Purple-rim-monti-and-gramma-L.jpg

Was a 10 buck frag at Nick's so I named it the "Rose City Rainbow" but it's probably a Tyree Rainbow:

Rose-City-Rainbow-102910-188-L.jpg

If you go to the beginning of the thread you see a couple garbanzo bean size fiji yellow leathers... here they are:

Yellow-sarcophytons-102910-L.jpg

This is a Randall's Anthias. I think he would be a lot prettier if he had some girlfriends but they are pretty scarce... was red and purple striped when I got him.

104-L.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. I am pretty happy with it, thinking of maybe going up to a 6 bulb light though to make photography easier and see how things do, and would be happier if all the algae would go away. Right. (: It is better than it was, looking at those older pics... maybe it is going away. Here are some more pics:

A frag I traded in at Rose City:

Pink-Birdsnest-frag-011611-069-L.jpg

These grow like weeds (Pocillopora damicornis):

Pocillopora-damicornis-011611-L.jpg

Bubble coral:

Bubble-011611-115-L.jpg

Royal gramma:

Gramma-011611-128-L.jpg

Full tank shot of the 120:

074-L.jpg

Yellow wrasses spawning (best I could do they move really fast):

wrasses-074-L.jpg

Male melanurus trying to interest his mate in making like the yellow wrasses:

wrasses-099-L.jpg

Panning is not working out for me. Hard to shoot a spawning wrasse, they are even more hyper than normal!

Some pics from 5/3/11:

Bubble Coral

aquariums-010-L.jpg

"Rose City Rainbow" Cat's Paw

aquariums-013-L.jpg

Upscales green and orange birdsnest:

aquariums-016-L.jpg

Forgot the name of this acro. It is pine green at the base and blue at the tips in most tanks, in mine looks like this:

aquariums-039-L.jpg

Electric green Pocillopora damicornis

aquariums-037-L.jpg

Excessive purple rim montipora

aquariums-005-L.jpg

In most tanks this is magenta but not in mine of course:

aquariums-006-L.jpg

ORA Joe the Coral

aquariums-019-L.jpg

Love that acro in pic 4.

Also your green cap looks like its growing in a cool way. Did you force it to do that somehow or is that how It chose to grow?

I did put the purple rim stuff too close to the orange and Idaho Purple on purpose, was hoping they would swirl together but the orange does not grow as quickly as the other 2. One reason it might be growing that way is that there are majano anemones in there and they will switch direction to avoid one, or I snap off the piece and peel of the majano then grow it out as a frag. Pretty amazing how fast this stuff grows.

• 1 month later...

couple quick pics of the tank with my new light... first is with only 2 bulbs, the next is all 6. Both pics kind of dark, sorry... not used to the new light and I shot it on manual. So basically I guessed on the exposure and got kind of close. Will reshoot when the gorgonian is open.

5920337856_5516e45fc9_b.jpg

5920338452_742e901b78_b.jpg

Had a 4 bulb unit on before and it was ok, obviously, but I wanted something with better bulb spacing and 2 more bulbs so photography would be easier and so I could use the 4 bulb unit on my frag tank. New light is a Hydrofarm "Designer" grow light. Liked it's spacing and deep wide reflectors. If only it had a fan but the price being so low could not expect that. I think both the old and new fixture were slightly overdriving the bulbs, should get a kill a watt and see. Considered LED's but love the colors of T5HO ATI bulbs too much.

Sweet tank Kate' date=' I too recently made the switch from a 4 bulb t5 to a 6 bulb. Its crazy how much of a difference it makes, and yea, the ati's are awesome bulbs![/quote']

The new reflectors are awesome, am getting better light dispersion out of 2 bulbs than I had with 4. Will be interesting to see how the Stylophoras do with it. One was hot pink at Upscales, is now gold base, baby blue polyps and pink around the blue only. The other is from Rose City and appears to be Tyree rainbow. Joe the Coral is already showing more color. Mushrooms not too happy though.

Beautiful tank! Is that a birdsnest in the monti? That is awsome!

Thanks! Yeah, I stuck a gorgonian in the middle of the montiporas originally as I had seen someone do that on a forum post and it looked great. But they fought, and there was tissue recession causing the gorgonian to suffer. So I swapped it for the birdsnest, which is doing quite fine.

Few current pics:

anthias-18a-L.jpg

This already looks better, I call it "Mr S" because I got it from him. Was tort color at the base and emerald green at the tips but is coloring up to be the reverse. Was about the size of a garbanzo bean when I got it.

reef-new-light-035-L.jpg

Don't think this will change much, it was purple tip in its last tank

reef-new-light-036-L.jpg

Also noticed my alk was like 5 and the calcium low as well, and fixed that. So some color changes might be from that. Today I dropped the skimmer's impeller assembly. It never really did skim into the cup, the bubbles rarely made it more than an inch from the top and burst in the neck instead, leaving a thick black deposit. Not the biggest problem since either way the crud was gone but since I need a new pinwheel and ceramic shaft and the sedra 3500 obviously was not cutting it anyways, thinking of ditching the entire skimmer and going with something new. Not sure what to pick. So many choices, so little cash (:

• 7 months later...