RSVP--Free Corals for those with power outage losses! Club Meeting and Frag Swap Sunday 1/28 1-3 pm

Hi All:

Happy New Year! It's time for our January club meeting and a frag swap.

@LavenderTi will be hosting us at his home in SE Portland on Sunday 1/28 from 1-3. Please save the date.

The meeting will be from 1-3. We'll provide food and drinks.

I will bring 7 large Justin's green goniopora frags FREE to anyone who lost corals due to the power outages this past week. Just come to the meeting and join the discussion. @obrien.david.j will also bring free corals for those who lost livestock.

We will have a discussion on battery backup systems and generators at the meeting.

@obrien.david.j will do a demonstration on the inexpensive battery backup he uses for his Ecotech pumps at the meeting. This could save your corals in a future storm. You won't want to miss it!

Please send me a PM to RSVP and I will send you the directions to the meeting.

This will be a frag swap, so let's use this thread to post what you will bring to trade (see my post below).

Andy/Lexinverts

• Like 7

• Lexinverts changed the title to Free Corals for those with power outage losses! Club Meeting and Frag Swap Sunday 1/28 1-3 pm

Hi All:

Sorry for lateness in following up in this thread. As you can imagine, things have been very chaotic in Corvallis due to the ice storm, as they were in Portland.

I will bring 7 large Justin's green goniopora frags FREE to anyone who lost corals due to the power outages this past week. Just come to the meeting and join the discussion.

We will have a discussion on battery backup systems and generators at the meeting.

@obrien.david.j will do a demonstration on the inexpensive battery backup he uses for his Ecotech pumps at the meeting. This could save your corals in a future storm. You won't want to miss it!

Please send me a PM to RSVP and I will send you the directions to the meeting.

We will provide pizza and drinks at the meeting.

This will be a frag swap, so let's use this thread to post what you will bring to trade.

I can bring frags of the below acropora to trade for chalices, gonis, or other acropora. Others who will bring corals to trade should also post in the thread.

WWC Yellow Tip, Copps Calicali Stag, RMF Superman, Pink Cadillac, Blue Stag, Pro Corals Rainbow Stag, Pink Cadillac, Tricolor Valida, ORA Ice Tort, TECO Twilight Dragon, Oregon Blue Tort, CNC Broken Table, GB Fury, GB Burning candle / Fox Flame, GB Bonfire, FF Red Robin, GB The last dragon, GB Heartbreaker, RMF Superman Stag, Vivid Confetti, CR The Red One, ACI Lite Brite, CB Maleficent, GARF Bonsai, BC Hyperberry, PC Poison Envy, WWC Allstar, ORA Red Planet, JF Beach Bum, ASD Rainbow Phoenix, Tyree Pink Lemonade, GB Mars Attacks, ORA Purple Plasma, BC Shag Priority

• Like 3

• Lexinverts changed the title to RSVP--Free Corals for those with power outage losses! Club Meeting and Frag Swap Sunday 1/28 1-3 pm

Rsvp me please!

I plan on showing to this meeting! 
I had a pretty big loss for me, that was my Achilles last Saturday night due to power outage. Then lost power again this Thursday and didn't get power til late yesterday. The 2nd one I lost a Tonga bicolor wrasse that was in qt...not sure why that one died. It was in with 2 new others,  whitetail bristletooth and my sohal. They have all been there a out 3 weeks. My only guess is the wrasse moves around so much that it ran out of oxygen but how does the 2 other tangs survive, so that doesn't even add up either? 🤷‍♂️

I look forward to learning more about what we can do to protect against these types of losses! 

• Like 2

I'm bringing FREE frags for those who've lost corals in this storm as well.   I have mini colonies/large frags I can break off of;

• German Blue Montipora Digitata
  • Cali-Tort
  • Miyagi Tort
  • Green Goblin Anacropora

1) PM to make your choice(s), a statement you had losses during the storm (honor system here), and confirm I have some for you.

2) Others have asked if they can purchase.   Also PM me, asking price is $15/each.    First priority goes to those who've had losses.

I will bring my full backup system I build for Echotech MP10/40/60's.   I'll do a demonstration of how to wire the cabling, and a parts list for anyone who wants to build their own.  This was easy.  I wired it by head lamp, after the power went out. (I already had the parts, and the battery was charged and ready to go)   

I'm not familiar with backup solutions for any other products, but happy to talk with anyone about what they're thinking.

The #1 thing our tanks need when power goes out is Oxygen and Gas Exchange.  This all happens by Water Motion.   Keep some form of flow, and your chances of survival go WAY up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bump, and a reminder to RSVP to me for directions to the meeting. Send me a PM and I will send you a map with the address.

Hope to see lots of folks there. The discussion of battery backups is useful and timely!

Andy

I also have some hammers sitting in the corner of my tank I need to free up. If anyone lost corals and want a head or so, let me know and I can bring them to the meeting. Otherwise, they might end up at CNC this weekend. 

• Like 1

I am going, and can bring a couple cuttings of photosynthetic gorgonian, some old school Tubb's Blues zoas and what I call Grape Ape hairy mushrooms, which are the green base type with some purple/lavender to the tips depending on lighting. They came from a public aquarium on the East Coast about 20 years ago, never saw anyone else sell or name them so I did 🙂 Took these photos with my phone and did my best on the colors but it's not the greatest. The phone wants to make all the blues and purples ridiculously oversaturated. So that last pic is the best of the Grape Ape.

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1269.jpeg

IMG_1268.jpeg

IMG_1267.jpeg

IMG_1266.jpeg

Edited by Electrokate
added photos
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LavenderTi said:

I really enjoyed hosting and getting to know more people. The pH dip was totally worth the good company. Thanks @obrien.david.j for the presentation and the encouragement to host. 

Great graphs and correlation.  The highest I CO2 I saw visually on your meter was slightly over 1000.   I don't think I've ever seen 1200 on my own meter... I think I have a draftier house. :)   But nothing like @Krux.   His story of ice cold walls was .. 😞

• Haha 1

We need to breathe less at meetings it seems.

My record in the basement when entertaining was 3400, everyone had headaches and we were starting to fall asleep during board game day.  Not bad for 5 people over about 6 hours!

The obvious solution is more and more amazing plants! You guys have some great ones. Thanks again for hosting, thanks @obrien.david.j for the frags and knowledge, and @Eatfrenchfriesfor the cultures. I have a couple culture questions- what salinity and temperature should they be at, how many hours of light for the phyto, and was the phyto recently fertilized or is it due?

Kate

2 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Great graphs and correlation.  The highest I CO2 I saw visually on your meter was slightly over 1000.   I don't think I've ever seen 1200 on my own meter... I think I have a draftier house. :)   But nothing like @Krux.   His story of ice cold walls was .. 😞

Krux does produce a fair amount of hot air. 🤔