Brittany’s Ocean

Brittany

Started Fall 2020

Ive always had tanks.  Fresh water, live rock with brittle star, lion fish only but nothing fancy.  

I knew I didn’t want to give myself the option of giving up, so I went all in with my first mixed reef tank.

I’ve spent the last two years dreaming of the day it would be worth posting a tank thread.   Im not there yet, but decided to post anyway.

Details:

120” x 30” x 30”

Flow:

2MP60s

one wave maker 

one tunze 960

Light:

5 Kessil 360x

4 reef brights

Sump:

details to follow

IMG_9971.jpeg

Edited by Brittany
New photos
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Tank looks great.   @Brittany - do you mind if I post the picture of you, with the tank, to show everyone Scale?    All - these photos don't do justice to a 120" long tank.  It looks Awesome in person!

You can post any pictures you have and I’m going to get better photos when I catch it with full lights in.

Ya, those tank dimensions are epic. Would have been a post worthy setup even when dry or just newly put up!

Well done on a great looking tank.

I’m a tall and lanky guy but even 120x30x30 sounds like a maintenance challenge. Do you have any tongs or something you use to grab anything that falls into sandbed? Or an excuse to bust out a mask and snorkel? 

Edited by DaveZ
Spell
  • Like 2

Wow, the pic with you for scale really shows just how large a tank that is! That is huge! You need a snorkel and mask to work on that I'll bet. Great looking system. Cool looking stepstool too. I remember seeing something like that from Ryan from BRS on his epic home build. Also interested to learn what that fabric is handing down from your hanging canopy, looks like a brilliant solution. Let's talk her into hosting a meeting group!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

Wow, the pic with you for scale really shows just how large a tank that is! That is huge! You need a snorkel and mask to work on that I'll bet. Great looking system. Cool looking stepstool too. I remember seeing something like that from Ryan from BRS on his epic home build. Also interested to learn what that fabric is handing down from your hanging canopy, looks like a brilliant solution. Let's talk her into hosting a meeting group!

The step stool is actually why I took the picture.   And Yes, the first place I'd seen one of these was BRS/Ryan's home tank videos.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/27/2023 at 10:01 AM, DaveZ said:

Ya, those tank dimensions are epic. Would have been a post worthy setup even when dry or just newly put up!

Well done on a great looking tank.

I’m a tall and lanky guy but even 120x30x30 sounds like a maintenance challenge. Do you have any tongs or something you use to grab anything that falls into sandbed? Or an excuse to bust out a mask and snorkel? 

Haha I do have a snorkel.  I’m short and I need my whole head in when I’m working.  

I love topics like “ don’t put your hands in”. I’m always wondering: what about hair and shoulders 🤪

I get really wet.  

IMG_0036.jpeg

Edited by Brittany
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Brittany said:

Haha I do have a snorkel.  I’m short and I need my whole head in when I’m working.  

I love topics like “ don’t put your hands in”. I’m always wondering: what about hair and shoulders 🤪

I get really wet.  

IMG_0036.jpeg

That is awesome! And ya, the “don’t put your hands in” argument is a good practice as most people have 20g tanks.

Hand to water ratio on a nano is likely exponentially more than your upper body to water ratio in your tank. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shout out @CuttleFishandCoral

Last week I went to Vancouver to see a tank that had busted a seam.   I wanted an elegance pictured.  When I got there I realized 120 gallons of fish and corals had been placed in a 5 gallon tank and many were dying quickly.

I was totally unprepared and I took the lot.  Put all these poor critters in 2 gallons of yucky water.  As I drove away I’m like that isn’t going to work.

I live 2 hours away and I high tailed it to cuttlefish to get some advice and clean water.  I pulled in at 5:55pm just before closing and Jeff was still there.  🤪

Saved this purple tip elegance!!

Thank you Jeff !!!!

• Like 2

Lights

1.  2 48” 50/50 reef bright

2. 2 48” blue reef bright

3. 5 360x kessil

4. 1 kessil 500x above my SPS rock

360x on with ramping cycle 

My problem is they are hung higher than recommended resulting in lower par than initial intended.

I have done par meter twice, but not since adding the 500x.  (So par does not include 500x)

Sand is 80 (near edges) to 110 (center)

top of water runs 80 (edges) -280 (center)

1/2 way down 80-120

im surprised that close to the sand runs a similar par than 1/2 way up on the sides.  
Depth does not decrease par substantially in my tank.

IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg