YELP! Montipora eating nudi

Kerbash

Hey guys,

Anyone know the best ways to deal with these guys? Been battling them none stop for the past 2 months, came out of no where, and munched 2 huge monti cap to oblivion manage to frags them. Ive been dipping my monti every two days but they still come back. I have a yellow coris wrasse that I hoped was gonna eat the nudi but he seems a lot more fond of the easy to catch frozen mysis....

Im planning to move all the monti into a separate holding tank for a while. Is this a good plan? And how long does it take for them to stave. If not what else to do???

I fought them about a yr and half ago. Lost 90% of my montipora and anacropora.  Only way to beat them is starve them out. Dip and qt all montipora and anacropora. I used flat worm exit and it shocked them but didn't kill them off. I ended up using pig dewormer and it worked. They're night stalkers so you'll spend a few nights hunting. Qt them with damsels and wrasses as they eat them. Also butterflies eat them. Good luck on this battle ,it's a tough one for sure. I still have some pig dewormer and can spare some if needed pm me for pick up.

7 hours ago, islandVib3s said:

I fought them about a yr and half ago. Lost 90% of my montipora and anacropora.  Only way to beat them is starve them out. Dip and qt all montipora and anacropora. I used flat worm exit and it shocked them but didn't kill them off. I ended up using pig dewormer and it worked. They're night stalkers so you'll spend a few nights hunting. Qt them with damsels and wrasses as they eat them. Also butterflies eat them. Good luck on this battle ,it's a tough one for sure. I still have some pig dewormer and can spare some if needed pm me for pick up.

Yikes! Anacropora as well???? [language filter] ok ill remove them tomorrow too. Pig dewormer kills nudis?

8 hours ago, half-astronaut said:

Coral Rx doesn’t take out the eggs. Bayer Interceptor might work. They are tough little bastards. 

Ok ill try bayer interceptor

8 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

Nothing kills the eggs except supergluing over them. The only way to beat them is to remove all montis from the tank for a while and do weekly dips and super glue over areas with eggs in a hospital system.

You know how long does it take for them to all stave? like how long should i keep them in the hospital tank?

Oh yea. Start snipping off the bases of them all because that's likely where the eggs are also. When you qt then,put them high on magnet racks for easier night inspections. The pig dewormer is the same as flatworm exit, just not watered down and I think it's actually cheaper on Amazon. 

• Like 1

Not sure how helpful this is but this is what i ended up doing, I chop monti off from the rock work then tie them with a fishing line to suspended in the water column. Seems to be working so far, no new nudi and its been close to a week, I think they were hiding in the sands/rocks because before every day there was a new set of nudi. Now i think the nudi cant get to them cuz i think they cant swim, also i added 2 damsel into the sump just for good measure.

IMG_8200.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, half-astronaut said:

Do you have a lot of valuable monties? If not just cut your losses, pull the frags and starve out the nudes. You gotta determine if the fight is worth it. 

In this tank, I only have this one. It's not even properly attached (in fact, the crab had knocked it upside down onto the sand when I came home today) so well take it out and then see what kind of dips we can try. Seems like everyone has a different suggestion, so have to sort through it. The coral doesn't really show any damage at the moment. Hopefully we can save it.

13 minutes ago, NanoNerd said:

In this tank, I only have this one. It's not even properly attached (in fact, the crab had knocked it upside down onto the sand when I came home today) so well take it out and then see what kind of dips we can try. Seems like everyone has a different suggestion, so have to sort through it. The coral doesn't really show any damage at the moment. Hopefully we can save it.

CoralRX works for me but it takes a long time for the nudi to fall off like at least 15 minutes of good soaking

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, islandVib3s said:

hows it going? i can bottle up some pig dewormer for you if you want to give it a try for pick up in vancouver.

Thanks for the offer!  I think its actually dying down now! You are right about damsels being so useful, after I hanged the monti and added the damsels havent seen a single nudi since then. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

I think now the biggest issue is where to put these vicious little damsels bastard after this is all over🤣 I stick my hand into the tank yesterday and they started attacking me.

• Haha 2